What is *worldbuilding* for?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I really don't understand what such a DM needs players for. They may as well DM for themselves.

What this reveals, probably inadvertently, is completely self-indulgent GMing. It's purely for the GMs entertainment.
Not purely for the DM's entertainment, but if the DM isn't getting something out of it then why would she bother?
You admit the PCs know nothing about what's happening. And will probably never know. And if they do 'find out' all they are ever, ever going to 'find out' is what the GM had pre-decided had happened. I get more agency reading a book.

And then you add in a new layer of GM force. The mage may get arrested for treason. And if he does the players get the joys of unravelling the GMs smugly convoluted plot to clear his name.
You say this like it's a bad thing. :)

The example I dreamed up isn't the best, I'll be the first to admit that. What I was trying to do was come up with a situation (which I was making up on the fly as I was typing it) where a PC action here causes ripple effects elsewhere that may later impact the PCs there; with an intent to show how a DM has to be able to follow the dominoes if-when they fall due to knock-on effects of PC actions, and tangentially to show how city-adventure DMing can sometimes be bloody difficult.

Was this supposed to be an example of 'player agency'? Is this the GM in 'full on react mode'?
No to both. See above.
But what it actually reveals is quite telling - players as powerless stooges and pawns being exploited to help spice up a GMs solo game.
Should PC actions never have hidden knock-on effects, then? If they shouldn't, we're back to static adventure design where the monsters wait patiently in their numbered rooms* regardless of the carnage they might be able to hear down the hall; rather than plan a defense or quietly flee or start infighting for control as they know their leader is now dead...

* - and somehow don't starve if the PCs decide to leave the dungeon for a week to heal up or resupply.

Lanefan

pemerton

Legend
You keep saying this, but you haven't yet shown me the difference between narrating more fiction and determining action outcomes.

What is the function difference between 'we open the door to the study' and being greeted with an encounter map and 'we look for a map in the study' and being told there is, in fact, no map? Both are requests for the DM to narrate more fiction, yes?

The central conceit here really seems to be revolving around some distinction between an action declaration that you classify as 'asking for more DM fiction' and an action declaration that you classify as 'not asking for more DM fiction.' You haven't clarified the difference.

<snip>

You're approaching this from the mindset that the player should be requesting new fiction, and therefore the DM denying that request based on pre-determined notes is bad play
The last sentence is not correct. The fourth sentence - beginning "the central conceit here" is correct.

In my view the distinction is fundamental. My thinking about it is a mixture of (what I would regard as) common sense informed by experience in RPGing; and Vincent Baker's writings about "boxes, clouds and arrows", ficitonal positioning, and the fundamental act in RPGing (which is establishing some content in a shared fiction).

This definition also completely disregards LARPing, where there's a mix of reality and fiction ongoing. Or even SCA
I'd hoped it was clear from the OP that I'm not talking about LARPing, or SCA, or cops and robbers. I'm talking about table top RPGs.

(And to ward of objections from @howandwh99 - I don't think this analysis and account of the "fundamental act" is all that apt for Gygaxian dungeoneering, which in many ways is better analogised to a boardgame. Eg while Gygaxian dungeoneering involves a shared fiction (sorry, howandwhy99) the dungeon map is a real thing, and the players are - among other things - trying to create an accurate duplicate of it by means of their play of the game. But as I said in the OP, this thread takes as a premise that mose contemporary RPGing, including most contemporary D&D play, is not Gygaxian in this sense.

Sometimes players want the GM to provide them with more fiction. "What can we see?" "How high is the ceiling?" "How many orcs are there?"

A lot of RPGing involves this, even in a game like Burning Wheel or Cortex+ Heroic. Exploration-focused play (which a lot of D&D involes) is absolutely replete with it.

There's no canonical form of words involved. It might happen without the players asking a question at all - the players say "OK, we open the door" and then the GM just proceeds to tell them what they see beyond it.

There's no canonical requirement of action declaration either, although - if you wanted to - you could analyse most of this sort of play in "say 'yes'" terms: the player asks for more info; the GM either "says 'yes'" and just tells them stuff ("The ceiling is 15' high") or the GM calls on the player to roll the dice ("Make a Perception check!" "Oops - only a 3." "Well, sorry, the orcs are too far away for you to get a proper count - maybe a dozen or so?"). Sometimes the request for info migh generate an automatic "no" unless the player changes the fictional positioning for his/her PC ("Does the DNA of the blood match our sample?" "Are you leaving the field to go back to the lab to find out?" "No." "OK then, you can't tell").

One way to think of a spell like Detect Magic is that it changes the fictional positioning - now this PC can not only see and hear but can sense magical phenomena - and so the GM's obligations to answer requests for information change. But another way to think of such a spell is as a fiat ability, because once it's used (at least in standard D&D) the GM can't call for a dice roll to learn the info but must "say 'yes'" - that is, must tell the player all the magical stuff in the vicinity. (A lot of headaches about divination magic could be reduced, I think, if these two functions were separated - so it enhanced the PC's sensory capabilities, but didn't negate the need for a Perception or Insight or whatever check. That mightn't help with Find Traps or Detect Secret Doors, though.)

Anyway, an example of this phenmenon - providing more fiction - from my Traveller game: the PCs have to make two jumps to the planet Byron (their vessel doesn't have the range to make it in a single jump); when they arrive at Lyto-7 after their first jump, I describe it to them (a mixture of telling them the stats for the world, plus fleshing out some details, like that it's a research station).

Another example: when the PCs are going through the trinkets at the Enlil market, I'd already made a roll to establish that there was an alien trinket on sale. (Traveller is ambiguous on random content generation (eg Psionics Institute) vs content generation coming out of action resolution (eg Streetwise). I went the first way on this occasion, which I'm not sure was the best way but as it hapened no wheels fell off.) So the players, when they ask, "Are there any alien artefacts at the market", have a chance of the answer being "yes". But I didn't just "say 'yes'". The relevant PC has Education 13 (a high score) which we've already established is a doctorate in Xeno-Archaeology. So that establishes, as a matter of fictional positioning, that he might recognise alien trinkets. (The other PCs have no real chance, as they don't have the right fictional positioning. That wasn't controversial at the table.) But I called for a check - it succeeded - and so I described the alien trinket that he noticed for sale.

This is the GM reading/telling the players stuff. Now, I have preferences that this not be done from pre-authored notes. That relates to the third of the consequences of GM-preauthored worldbuilding that I mentioned in my reply to [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] not far upthread; and is also described clearly in Eero Tuovinen's account of the "standard narrativistic model" that I linked to somewhere upthread: I prefer a game which is focused on stuff that the players bring to it (via PC build, evinced thematic/trope/"wouldn't it be cool if . . ." desires, etc). Whereas GM pre-authorship (which eg [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] advocates should be done without knowing anything about what preferences and PCs the players might bring to the game) tends to make the focus one that speaks to the GM.

Relating this to agency: when the game play (at some moment) is predominantly the GM telling the players stuff, then it is the GM who is exercising agency. The fact that that players pressed the button that triggered the GM's narration doesn't change that. But if the GM's narration draws upon, responds to and incorportaes stuff that the players have brought to the game, then the GM's agency is building on their prior exercises of it. Whereas if the GM is telling them stuff that s/he already worked out independently of them, the players' agency is completely absent from that moment of play.

Action declaration involving intent/stakes. Sometimes players want to change the state of the fiction through an action declaration. "I rolled a 13 to hit and 10 to damage - is the orc dead?" That's not a request for the GM to tell the player some more information about the fiction. It's a request that the fiction be a certain way, namely, that it contain a dead orc.

Likewise "We look for the map in the study - do we find it?" Or (at least in some cases) "We need to escape before they find us - are there any secret doors?"

These situations involve stakes. Often that means conflict (as in the secret door example) but not always (in the map example there's no obvious conflict; but there is something at stake). If the check fails, the players have lost. (That is different from the above, where there are no stakes.)

You might say - but didn't the hunt for alien trinkets involve stakes? And the answer would be "yes", which is why I don't think I handled it properly, but Traveller is not quite as robust for this as (say) Burning Wheel or 4e, and I was trying to muddle through using my best intuitions at the time as to the mechanical resources Traveller provides. In future I'd probably use the Streetwise model rather than the Psionics Institute model.

Burning Wheel and Cortex+ Heroic have less exploratory play than conventional D&D, less than Traveller, less than 4e. As I've already posted, in many cases in BW it is degenerate for the player to ask the GM for more information, because that is an attempt to squib, by having the extra information the GM provides be a type of safety valve or an excuse to avoid a hard choice. Hence in BW if the player delcares an object reading type action (eg, from actual play, "Who made the cursed black arrows I found in my brother's room?") then, as GM, I'm entilted and often obliged to get clear on what the player would consider a loss (so in that case, the action declaration, revised in respone to GM pressue is, "I use my object reading to prove that my brother is innocent - someone else made these arrows!" and then when the check fails I'm entitled to say "Sorry, it's bad news . . .").

Because there are no canoncial forms of words, and different games have different mechanics and different conventions, and tables have their own understandings, there are (and obviously there are) no hard and fast rules. Making sense of an action declaration, and responding to it as (i) a request for more fiction, or (ii) a desire to establish more fiction, and then (iii) working out what is at stake and what not, and hence (iv) what might be a fair or unfair framing, is ultimately a GM judgement.

In Cortex+, for intance, finding the map in the study is a fairly straightforward roll to establish an asset. Is there also an acid trap in the same secret hiding place? Well, the GM has to spend Doom Pool dice to make that the case.

In BW, finding the map is more likely to be a fairly hard Scavenging or Study-wise roll. If it succeeds, it would typically be poor GMing to introduce the acid trap.

In 4e, finding the map is probably a move in a skill challenge. Introducing the acid trap is (in my view) quite permissible if the skill challenge is still ongoing; but if finding the map is the completion of the skill challenge then that situation is over, and the immediate adversity confronted by the players has been resolved in their favour; and so the acid trap would typically be (in my view) poor GMing.

You referenced the beholder acutal play example. The travel through the Underdark, at that point, was (I think) being resolved as a skill challenge. I can't recall whether the beholder encounter was framed as it was in response to a failure in the course of that challenge, or not (and the post doesn't say). Either way, in a skill challenge the GM has to continue framing the PCs into adversity until it is complete one way or the other - because if there's no adversity, then there's no fictional context that generates the checks that (mechanically) resolve the challenge. Splitting the party across a chasm, in upper paragon tier 4e, is in my view completely reasonable adversity and within the GM's remit. (Again, contrast Cortex+, where to split the party the GM has to spend resources from the Doom Pool.) Declaring that a PC falls down the pit would, in my view, not be fair framing. That difference is an expression of jugement based in experience running the system. Other groups might form different judgements.

Either way, there is no negation of action declaration by framing the encounter. The drow got across the chasm. And no check to avoid beholders in the underdark had been declared or resolved - that was what the skill challenge was for, and it was still ongoing.

You say that the fiction doesn't really exist. Okay, we'll leave aside the game implications of that statement for now and take it for argumentation.
Obviously the words on paper, the thoughts in players' heads, etc, exist. But the orc, the swords, the study, the map - they are all imaginary. (But see my above remarks about the dungeon map in Gygaxian play - it's a real artefact which, like a board in a boardgame, is a component of play.)

Since the fiction doesn't exist, then whatever you author into the fiction doesn't matter: it doesn't exist. Only the act of authoring is a real thing. So, therefore, all acts of authoring are the same. This is absurd
And I didn't assert it. I said:

The orc doesn't exist. There are some words about the orc. Then some more words are authored - the orc is dead, say.

The map doesn't exist; nor does the study. There are some words about the study. Then some more words are authored - the study has a map in it.

<snip>

Adding a sentence to the orc's description: it's dead; and adding a sentence to the study's description; it contains a map; are identical causal processes. And in RPGing terms, that means they are structurally equivalent game moves.

I'll assert it again: adding a sentence to the orc's description, and to the study's descriptoin, are structurally equivalent game moves. They are both acts of authorship that increase the detail about the orc and the study respectively.

If all acts of authoring are the same, then restrictions such as genre appropriateness or fictional positioning don't matter. You've strongly argued that these do matter, so that means that there is a difference in what is authored into the fiction -- some acts of authoring are preferred to others. Since those limitations are subjective -- there's not objective reason that genre appropriateness be a deciding limitation -- then it stands to reason that many things can impact what can be authored depending on the subjective choices of the participants.
This is all non-sequitur.

I am talking about adding descriptions to established elements of the fiction. None of the descriptions I've posited contradict established fiction, depart from genre conceits, or otherwise collide with any basic constraints on good authorship. (Cf the presence of beam weapons in the Duke's toilet.) Those facts about the added descriptions are not "subjective". They are pretty obvious.

different styles of authoring can exist that serve to limit what can be authored into the fiction. This means that how the fiction is authored in game is actually based on subjective preferences of the players, and that, depending on those preferences, this can very well be a difference between killing an orc and creating a map in the library.
But the difference isn't one of structure or metaphysics (contra [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and others who refer to "Schroedinger's map" and the like).

The difference is that some players want the GM's authorship practices to, more-or-less, track the real-world metaphysics of the imagined things. So the GM is to treat the map as an object which does not supervene on it's location in the study; whereas we can use mechanics to determine the death of the orc which do treat that death as supervening on the orc (rather than being some distinct event that the GM is free to author as if it were independent of the causal processes governing the orc).

Ron Edwards invented a name for this preference: purist-for-system simuationism. Some RPGs serve it very well - RQ and RM among them. My point is that it's not a preference that is inherent in having a rich, complex, "living" world. Hence the answer to "what is worldbuilding for" can't be "because otherwise you won't get a rich, complex, "living" world. And the reason for that is the structural equivalence, as acts of authorship, of introducing a new description about the orc and a new description about the map, which permits the latter just as much as the former to be an outcome of, rather than an input into, actiion resolution.

Returning briefly to the game implications of the fiction not existing -- I find this quasi-nihilist as the very concept of the hobby is creating and interacting withing a shared fiction. Stating that it's really a game of make believe and so has no impact in the real world is saying that RPGs can't engage our emotions and thoughts in ways that benefit us outside of telling ourselves a story.
Novels and movies also engage emotions. If I could ever run a RPG session that had the impact of (say) The Quiet American or The Human Factor I'd be immensely proud. That doesn't mean those people and events are real.

It's not nihilist to deny the reality of imaginary things. It's just stating the literal truth.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So if you are asserting "RPGing needs setting" then I agree. If you are asserting "RPGing needs situation, and situation brings setting with it" then I agree. But if you are asserting "Because RPGing needs situation to get going, the GM must author some setting in advance, thereby unilaterally establishing some elements of the shared fiction", well then I disagree.
RPGing needs setting, whether presented via situation or some other means. I think we're all good there.

But where does the setting or situation come from? Unless I'm mistaken, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] tends to use pre-built settings (Greyhawk; or the map etc. in B-10; or the Traveller universe) and then tweak them to reflect his game's run of play and what arises out of that. But - and this is the key - a pre-built setting comes with a host of elements of the shared fiction already pre-authored and baked in (the regional maps; or Greyhawk's pantheon; or how long it takes to get from planet A to planet B in Traveller), so the DM doesn't have to produce those. They're already in place; something I think you tend to overlook in these discussions.

But what of a DM who is writing/designing her setting from scratch and not using a pre-built anything? She gets to (and has to!) make all those decisions about what elements will be baked in to that setting, and thus to her campaign. She gets to say, for example, that there's no Drow in her world and put this in her rules guide; meaning that once play starts a player can action-declare "I'm looking for Drow here" until he's blue in the face and he flat-out ain't gonna find any. She gets to decide what planets are in her Traveller universe and how far apart they are; and what types of ships exist to go from one to another. Etc.

And she gets to draw the map.

It seems you would deny the homebrewer these options. Even further, you'd largely deny her the ability to build her own setting at all and instead force her to run a generic-to-type campaign with its setting and parameters evolving through play. "I'm looking for Drow here" says a player while in some dungeon situation where Drow might appear, followed by a natural 20; and suddenly there's Drow in that game world whether the DM wants them in it or not. This is what I mean when I say in this sort of system the players end up railroading the DM.

Lan-"looking for Drow is one thing. Looking for Drizz't specifically is quite another; certain to generate extremely negative consequences the very least of which will be the immediate death of your PC"-efan

pemerton

Legend
Should PC actions never have hidden knock-on effects, then? If they shouldn't, we're back to static adventure design where the monsters wait patiently in their numbered rooms* regardless of the carnage they might be able to hear down the hall
Just to respond to this: given that [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] and I are describing a style of play in which there are no numbered rooms, how could what you say possibly be true?

If we wanted to actually start to talk about alternatives, we could start with overt knock-on effects. And then we could talk about how we determine when these occur; who gets to decide what they are (maybe different participants. depending on other things going on in the game ply); how is such a decision given effect? Etc.

pemerton

Legend
Unless I'm mistaken, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] tends to use pre-built settings (Greyhawk; or the map etc. in B-10; or the Traveller universe
I've got multiple posts in this thread, plus links to others, which explain the start for the Traveller game.

The "universe" consisted of some PC-gen and world gen rules, and the implicit flavour of those. I dropped some worlds I'd already rolled up into the setting as we needed them.

But what of a DM who is writing/designing her setting from scratch and not using a pre-built anything? She gets to (and has to!) make all those decisions about what elements will be baked in to that setting, and thus to her campaign
No she doesn't have to. Actually look at the example of how my Traveller game started. A D&D game could start exactly the same way, except instead of world generation you could just deem that the game starts in an inn; and instead of the patron table you could use the Appendix C City Encounter table to find out who comes into the tavern to ask the PCs for help.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In my view the distinction is fundamental. My thinking about it is a mixture of (what I would regard as) common sense informed by experience in RPGing; and Vincent Baker's writings about "boxes, clouds and arrows", ficitonal positioning, and the fundamental act in RPGing (which is establishing some content in a shared fiction).

I'd hoped it was clear from the OP that I'm not talking about LARPing, or SCA, or cops and robbers. I'm talking about table top RPGs.

(And to ward of objections from @howandwh99 - I don't think this analysis and account of the "fundamental act" is all that apt for Gygaxian dungeoneering, which in many ways is better analogised to a boardgame. Eg while Gygaxian dungeoneering involves a shared fiction (sorry, howandwhy99) the dungeon map is a real thing, and the players are - among other things - trying to create an accurate duplicate of it by means of their play of the game.
I think you've gone bang over the side on this one.

"Gygaxian dungeoneering" doesn't fall under your definition of an RPG?

Yikes.

But as I said in the OP, this thread takes as a premise that mose contemporary RPGing, including most contemporary D&D play, is not Gygaxian in this sense.
>facepalm<

So this entire thread has been based on a false premise?

No wonder we're getting nowhere.

It's not nihilist to deny the reality of imaginary things. It's just stating the literal truth.
But it's also not helpful to deny the reality of imaginary things in this case, when one of the keys to any of these discussions is trying to get the imaginary reality to mirror real reality where and how it can.

The world around a PC is that PC's reality; and though both are obviously products of our imagination it's far easier to visualize and discuss them when one looks through the eyes of the PC (searching a study) rather than our own eyes (looking at papers and rolling dice).

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just to respond to this: given that [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] and I are describing a style of play in which there are no numbered rooms, how could what you say possibly be true?
This is what I just can't fathom, and why I refer to Schroedinger's maps.

Player: "I open the door and look beyond it. What do I see?"
DM: "What are you looking for?"
Player: "I'll tell you what I'm looking for once you tell me what I'm looking at."

Translation: the player can't say what she's looking for until the DM tells her at least the basics of what she can already see. If the door leads outside to daylight, for example, the answer to "what are you looking for?" is likely to be quite different than if the door leads to a library full of books; or a staircase leading down; or an abandoned larder full of rotting meat and fruit; or a brick wall.

Now a DM can always make this up on the fly, but there's inherent risks involved. If she decides that behind the door is an old larder full of rotting food the obvious response from the players is "We should have been able to smell that", leading to either a retcon (absolutely unacceptable) or some quick backpedalling by the DM. Or - and this is the sort of thing I always end up doing if I try to make stuff like this up on the fly - I'll have said earlier when the party was still outside that the structure appears to be about 20' high, but now hours or even sessions later when they enter a room and I'm asked "what do I see" I'll forget what I said before and narrate a 25' high room with a spiral staircase leading up through the ceiling to what looks like another room above! And quite rightly a player will call me on this; as it's horrible DMing.

If we wanted to actually start to talk about alternatives, we could start with overt knock-on effects. And then we could talk about how we determine when these occur; who gets to decide what they are (maybe different participants. depending on other things going on in the game ply); how is such a decision given effect? Etc.
Overt knock-on effects are just that - overt, meaning obvious - and can (and should) be narrated and-or dealt with at the time. But I'm talking about covert knock-on effects - things that happen that the PCs (and thus players) don't know about until later, if ever at all.

A real-life example: someone I used to work with was out driving one afternoon until for no immediately obvious reason he got chased down and pulled over by three cop cars. Turned out he'd hit a cyclist some miles earlier (no lasting harm done) and someone had caught his plate number. He never saw the cyclist at the time, never heard any impact, and carried on his way oblivious to the effects of his simple action of turning at an intersection.

Sometimes you don't realize what your actions have caused or led to until much later. The only way this can be reflected in a game setting is if someone (and by someone I mean the DM) can connect the dots between action A now and result B tomorrow.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No she doesn't have to. Actually look at the example of how my Traveller game started. A D&D game could start exactly the same way, except instead of world generation you could just deem that the game starts in an inn; and instead of the patron table you could use the Appendix C City Encounter table to find out who comes into the tavern to ask the PCs for help.
Of course. But someone (and were I a player, I'll guarantee it'd be me) is almost immediately going to ask the DM what we as PCs know of the local and-or regional geography and culture, if we haven't yet been told such:

- how big is the city / town / village / waystation we're in
- what's its population mix (as in, vague ratio of humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) and how well do they generally get along
- what realm are we in
- who's in charge locally / regionally / nationally
- what's the local culture (as in, is it based on a historical human culture or just generic medieval or are we even in human-held lands at all) and ethos (as in, chaotic gold rush frontier or peaceful placid farm town or orderly military borderpost etc.)
- what local / regional / national history do we need to know about
- what's the general climate / terrain like here (as in, are we in a desert or the arctic or temperate forests or a jungle, etc.; and is it mountainous or flat or hilly or a seacoast etc.)
- etc.

And the DM can make this all up now (difficult) or she can have it determined ahead of time (much easier) - either way, it's all getting baked in here and now.

Lanefan

My problem with this ability is that it requires getting lost stories to exist to have any impact -- ie, the ability is pointless if I, as DM, don't push getting lost as a complication in my game. For it to matter, at all, getting lost needs to be something that's a threat in the game. At that point, it negates that story in that terrain, so for that to matter and be interesting, I have to push getting lost in other terrains. Bleh.

Most of the absolute abilities elsewhere in the game deal with things that are commonplace in the basic play -- poison, fear effects, etc., that I don't have to make any special effort to include.

That aside, not being able to get lost doesn't imply that you know where you're going. You just always know where you are. If you're exploring a forest, this ability just means the ranger can find places he's been to before or that he has firm description of the location that fits with what he already knows. There's still plenty of exploration challenges in the forest I can throw at a party with a ranger.

I still don't like that I have to make a specific effort to include getting lost as a threat for that ranger ability to even matter. I'd much rather have seen a blanket thing like advantage on all INT (Nature) and WIS (Survival) and WIS (Perception) checks in the favored terrain, and that's broad enough to be applicable to a number of stories instead of the more specific and non-core mechanic engaging abilities that did provide to rangers.

I think this is a case of the rules of classic D&D getting in the way of playing classic D&D.

The ranger's 'never get lost' ability was described in a very early article in SR back in 1975 IIRC, definitely in the days of OD&D. In the context of exploratory hexcrawl play governed by the AH: Survival game this was a reasonable ability. It negated the regular 'getting lost' checks which were a significant random hazard of this procedure, and only within a single type of terrain. Gygax imported this class almost verbatim into 1e, but at the same time dropped the use of Survival as a mechanic (and references to any other external rules, like Chainmail). There was a process for getting lost also in 1e, so IN THEORY nothing changed.

In reality most groups, by the 1e era (say DMG release, so 1979) had started to leave behind the procedural exploration puzzle Gygaxian player skill game paradigm behind. In view of the reality of a lot of play at that time, semi-directed plots with a mixture of GM fiat/fudging, fixed maps/encounters, and some of the original random hazard generation, you are correct. When the story revolves around 'the GM wants to get you lost in the Woods' then the ranger with Woods as a favored terrain is pretty much the sound of the choo choo running out of tracks...

Now, in a game like what I run, said absolute ability would be OK. It would let the player advance the fiction in the direction he's interested in by not getting lost. Truthfully in my own personal game design how it would work is he'd have a class boon, orienteer, and that would let him expend his inspiration point to declare that he is definitely not getting lost right now. He could also simply roll and hope not to get lost, but then he's not really declaring anything, the player is saying in that case "lost, not lost, all good with me, I'll take it how it comes" which is fine. Orienteering can also be used to, say, sub in a Nature check instead of an Endurance check "hey, I use my orienteering to find a way around the nasty cliff so we don't have to climb it".

If in his background the ranger has "Home turf is the Forest of Grinn" then I'd let him leverage that and say "I guide the party unfailingly to a cave entrance at the bottom of the cliff which I know from experience leads up into the caverns we want to explore higher on the mountain." Now he's authoring fiction and relating the new narrative directly to character resources, this is why he built this character the way he did, he wants to be able to do this. Since the GM and players are 'Playing to see what happens' any argument that a 'challenge has been bypassed' is moot, it just isn't part of the agenda. If the players WANT a mechanically and tactically challenging encounter, then that is bound to be provided, assuming I as the DM am doing my job.

So I've been following this thread, and have found it interesting, but I've held off on commenting because I feel like the matter is mostly one of opinion, and it seems most folks are decided how they feel.

But I do have one question that I don't think has come up...or at least not directly.

Is it possible to have an RPG game or campaign without worldbuilding?

What I mean by that is, it seems to me that no matter what setting or system with which you decide to play, there absolutely must be some amount of worldbuilding that happens prior to the start of play. And I mean this in the sense of "worldbuilding" that seems to be hinted at in the OP and throughout the thread, of material pre-authored prior to the start of play.

I don't see how it is avoidable. It establishes the setting and the options/elements/conditions that will be present in play. Now, this worldbuilding can be done by others (a pre-published adventure or setting) or by the GM....but it must happen to one degree or another. It can be minimal, or very involved, and it can probably be either to a fault. Too little and the game becomes a directionless, pass the conch session where everyone is making up elements on the fly that never cohere into anything substantial or worthwhile. Too much, and it could become the GM reading the players a story (his own or one published by a third party).

But is there any game that does not involve some level of worldbuilding? If so, how do these games function? If not, then do we consider "worldbuilding" a fundamental aspect of play?

Here are two examples of play in which nobody at the table did anything akin to worldbuilding, but I want to see if you have some other ideas in terms of what that entails:

1) A group of people sit down to play 1e AD&D. The DM declares, after character generation, that the PCs find themselves in a stone chamber, presumably underground. He proceeds to generate the room using the Appendix in the DMG for random dungeon generation. Play proceeds from there with no content or assumptions having been established beforehand.

2) A group of people sit down to play classic Traveller. Again they generate characters and the GM generates a subsector map and some planetary systems using the tables in the LBBs. Play proceeds entirely by the use of these tables (which provide for generating planetary systems, creatures, NPCs, governments, random ship encounters, the ability to find ships, cargo, and patrons, buy equipment, etc.

Now, I think that 2 COULD be said to rely on the conceptual framework of an Interstellar Empire, etc inherent in Traveller's implicit setting. Of course this is probably no more worldbuilding than the implicit milieu implied by the available races, classes, and monsters which will appear in the random dungeon, though it has a wider geographical scope. Anyway, I wouldn't exactly call either one 'worldbuilding', yet there's definitely some RPG happening there. Admittedly the players are going to be a little pressed to relate their actions to any larger agenda that a more realized setting would probably facilitate, but depending on how free they are to extrapolate that might not be an impediment at all, it might even be an advantage for some types of player.

Remove ads