What is *worldbuilding* for?

MarkB

Legend
If the person asserts (as I think [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION] does) that "As a player I only want to add those embellishments that correspond to causal powers exercised by my PC in the gameworld, so I will embellish deaths caused by my PC, but not maps discovered by my PC" that's his/her prerogative. It's a type of aesthetic preference. (As well as Emerikol, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] has advocated it strongly in this thread.)

My claims about it are two. (1) It is not more "realistic", or less "Schroedinger-y" than embellishing other parts of the fiction. (2) It means that a reasonable amount of your play experience will involve the GM telling you stuff that s/he made up (either in advance in his/her notes, or stuff that s/he makes up as needed but that is to be treated the same by the game participants as if it were part of his/her pre-authored notes).

The reason for (2) I take to be obvious given the extensive discussion of it in this thread, and the example provided by [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], [MENTION=40176]MarkB[/MENTION] and others. And the more the game involves "exploration" - that is, the players declaring actions which have, as an outcome, their PCs learning about the gameworld (eg opening doors, finding bribeable officials, searching for maps, etc) rather than their PCs changing the gameworld (eg by killing orcs or befriending strangers) - then the more that (2) will obtain.

Furthermore, given that a PC's success in changing the gameworld often depends (in the imaginary causal processes) upon unknown but relevant factors (eg the armour of the orc; the temperament of the stranger) then even changing the gameworld through action declarations can become hostage to a resolution process that does not permit the player to embellish other elements of the shared fiction.

For instance, if we go from player action declaration through resolution mechanics through embellishment that reflects outcome, then it is possible to have combat systems like D&D (AC, roll to hit, determine outcome from that) and hence it is impossible for it to be established, in advance of combat resolution, that the orc to literally have no chinks in his armour (such that, eg, you can't kill him until you rip off his helmet). Even a mage wielding a dagger can get lucky, find a chink in his armour, and kill the orc (if the orc wins, it's possible to say "Well, no chinks after all" - embellishment following resolution and reflecting outcome). Similarly, it is impossible for it to be established in advance that the temperament of the stranger is such that s/he is never befriendable: if the reaction roll (or corresponding resolution system) is high enough, it turns out that today the stranger is cheerful enough (or perhaps sufficiently in need of cheering up) that s/he will make a new friend. (Again, if the roll comes up poorly for the player, maybe this person really can't be befriended - embellishment follows resolution and reflects outcome.)

Whereas if the process is GM adds all embellishments that pertain to elements of the fiction that, in the fiction, are not consequences of a PC's causal powers, and only then go to action declaration, then we may never even get to the resolution mechanic to find out if the PC changed the gameworld. Eg if the GM decides the stranger is too despondent to be befriended, then the PC can't change that part of the gameworld. If the GM decides there are no chinks in the orc's armour, then the dagger-wielding mage PC can't change that part of the gameworld.

This is the point about agency. In a game in which (2) is strong, the players' agency over the shared fiction is rather minimal. The focus of game play is on triggering the GM to relate this or that bit of the fiction that she is in charge of embellishing (because it concerns elements whose nature, in the gameworld, is not amenable to being caused by the PCs).

I think I've made it clear that I don't really enjoy that sort of gameplay. Others have made it clear that they do. One thing that worldbuilding, in the OP sense, is for, is to enable that sort of gameplay.
Well, there's your answer. The purpose of what you call worldbuilding is to enhance a mode of gameplay that you don't enjoy, but others do. It seems like you could've managed to reach that conclusion a good couple of dozen pages ago, but at least we got there in the end.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION], I've just XPed a whole lot of your posts as they basically reiterate, pithily, what I've been saying for several pages now!

On the "what is RPGing" thing that you and [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] have posted about in your most recent posts, I'm happy to accept that mainstream RPGing involves "inhabiting" a character. (I know there's some wacky stuff out there that heads in a different direction, but I'm actually fairly conservative in my RPGing tastes! - certainly moreso than chaochou.)

In dungeoncrawling the "inhabitation" is pretty simple - it's a way of establishing permissible "moves" that follow from the PCs' fictional positioning.

In the sort of play that I think is more typical today, the PC is expected to have some life or motivation that goes beyond just being a tool to establish permissible moves. S/he is a character in the literary sense, with drives, motivations, dramatic needs etc.

There is no contradiction between inhabiting one's PC in this sense, and it being the case that an action declaration can result in the fiction containing the embellishment that you found the map you were searching for in the study where you were looking for it.

One reason I dislike GM-driven RPGing is that these tend to be subordinated in play - so my PC's goal (to borrow an example from Christopher Kubasik might be to woo a princess, but I spend my time hunting for the GM's McGuffin. There's a lot of discussion on these boards about "murder hobos", but I think a certain approach to play naturally tends to lead to it - if there is no significant scope in play for players to express their PCs' dramatic needs, it's natural that their range of character motivations will tend to narrow into ones that they can express.

pemerton

Legend
Well, there's your answer. The purpose of what you call worldbuilding is to enhance a mode of gameplay that you don't enjoy, but others do. It seems like you could've managed to reach that conclusion a good couple of dozen pages ago, but at least we got there in the end.
Well, on the way through at least we established that a significant component of that gameplay involves the GM telling the players stuff that is in her notes (literally or notionally). Earlier in the thread that was being doubted or denied by many posters.

MarkB

Legend
Well, on the way through at least we established that a significant component of that gameplay involves the GM telling the players stuff that is in her notes (literally or notionally). Earlier in the thread that was being doubted or denied by many posters.

The notion that the purpose of writing stuff down in advance is so that, during the game, you can refer to stuff you wrote down in advance is not controversial. The prejorative way in which you characterised this practice (consciously or not on your part) is what was called into doubt.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I think you may be selling [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] a bit short. He's not saying 'checkers is a silly game' or misunderstanding that you play a different game than he does. He started the thread asking a question about what the purpose of certain 'rules' in a certain type of RPG are for. Now, he may be interpreting them in terms that he understands, but I think that cuts both ways as certainly there's been some interpreting his ideas in the lens of 'classic DM-driven play' (to try to coin some sort of name for it, please substitute something better if you don't like it).
I don't think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is saying checkers is a silly game. I think he can't evaluate how checkers works without referencing chess.

And, yes, there's been a lot of people doing the same back -- not being able to evaluate chess without referencing checkers. I don't deny that. I have limited time, though, so I can't engage everything.

Also I think there was a bit of cross-posting, as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] also elaborated on what I said in terms of the difference/similarity of the orc vs the map as fiction. Now, I will note that in terms of that elaboration you could still simply say "the rules of my game are that they're different situations, players get agency in combat that they don't get in exploration" but its valid to point that out and ask WHY (and that may actually be a part of the question of world building/DM content generation too for that matter).
Actually, my point is that the fundamental conceits that govern how you approach authorship in the fiction are different, and that can make the orc and the map very different kinds of moves. In [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s approach, with his fundamental conceits, the are equivalent moves. But that's because of those conceits and may or may not apply with a differing set of conceits. Again, the reference to boardgames: in chess, you take a piece by moving into it's space using the prescribed way your piece is allowed to move. In checkers, you take a piece by using a special move only allowed in specific circumstances -- ie, you cannot jump unless you're taking a piece. If you evaluate jumping a piece from the paradigm of chess, you will have problems understanding how it works, and vice versa. This kind of thing is pretty much exemplified by the interactions between [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] in this thread -- both keep entirely missing the paradigm the other is using and how that fundamentally changes play that superficially seems similar, like taking a piece in chess vs checkers.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is 'not getting' you, or that [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is being either sloppy nor employing some form of rhetorical art in cleverly ignoring some key point. He's driving at a certain question, that's all. The notion that different games are all potentially valid rules sets and different from each other AFAICT is not a bone of contention here (though I skipped a good bit of the middle of the thread, maybe it was at some point).

Oh, I'm absolutely sure [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] isn't getting this. His continued insistence that fiction doesn't exist while applying fictional constraints on authorship makes it pretty clear he has missed the core of what I'm saying. And his driving at that certain question has been fruitless for him so far, despite many excellent answers, because he is only evaluating it from his paradigm. When you ask 'what's jumping good for' but you keep arguing that jumping is pointless in chess, then you're clearly only playing lip service to the idea that different paradigms are valid ways to play -- either because the concepts aren't clicking or because you're making an argument that one way is better than the other. I'm extending [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] the benefit of the doubt that his problem is one of understanding. And that's not a slight, either -- it's often extremely difficult to understand a different paradigm of understanding, and even more difficult to understand that another paradigm may be equally valid to your own. This is a challenge all people face everyday. I'm quite certain I have huge blindspots. I'm also quite certain that I do understand some other paradigms and have concluded that mine is, indeed, better. Not in regards to the topic at hand, for sure, I'm committed that the only thing about RPGs that should be absolutely true is that the players have fun. Not having fun (and, I supposed, not honoring the social contract) is really the only badwrongfun.

Sadras

Legend
In the case of the hidden document, the player doesn't know the fictional positioning - it's secret fictional positioning, secret backstory that leads to failure.

I find it is not unusual for a table to play a medley of Gygaxian style play and contemporary style play. Do you find this practice strange?

Also in the case of those that play differently to you, more often than not the map exists therefore secret fictional positioning makes sense (given the exploration of the map).

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
One reason I dislike GM-driven RPGing is that these tend to be subordinated in play - so my PC's goal (to borrow an example from Christopher Kubasik might be to woo a princess, but I spend my time hunting for the GM's McGuffin.

So at your table it might just require a singular skill challenge for the character to woo the the Princess, whereas at someone else's table it might require a greater number of lesser role-playing opportunities/skill challenges.
So its about the number of hoops a particular DM creates. I think this has less to do with DM-driven RPGs and more to do with the adjudication process. 4e provides a mechanism which allows the DM to determine the level of complexity of the PC desired action whilst the other editions play fast and loose with such a scenario leaving it up to the DM to create the mechanic/s (if any) to be used for the PC desired action.

hawkeyefan

Legend
OK, though in some cases such reworking is easier than others (mine involves some things being at very precise points on the planet, which it took some math and geometry to come up with...I'd rather not have to do that again :) ).

I'm trying to wrap my head around that....I mean, it's all made up, so I would think you can make it do whatever you want.....but, I'll take your word for it.

There's those who would say a rules veto is the same as a DM veto in a case like this.

This is true.

But I also think that most games....even ones that allow a lot of leeway on the part of the players....still have some kinds of guidelines or requirements for character generation. Most instances of a GM not allowing a non-PC race to be used wouldn't be considered to be the GM abusing his power.

In our crew, if someone invites friends over to watch a movie the movie to ve watched is usually included in the invite. That way, people who aren't interested in that movie know what they're in for should they choose to attend.

Sure, you can sidestep the analogy, but I think you get the point, no?

However in my case "anyone who happens to come along" is a near-inevitability as time goes by - the campaigns are many years long, players come and go, characters die or retire or whatever and then may or may not resurface years later, and so on. Just a few weeks ago with not too much warning* I had a player come back into my game who had been out for 4 years; he rebooted one of his characters who had kind of been left hanging, we updated it out-of-session and engineered a way for him to meet the party, and away we went.

I can sympathize here. Our group is a longstanding group. We've been playing for decades. Players have come and gone due to family or work reasons, and then sometimes they come back. Just recently, a friend moved back to our area and rejoined our game after about 15 years and jumped back in. He made a new character for one group of PCs, and we'll recreate a 2E character of his for our high-level group of PCs.

There's no way on earth I can plan for that.

Having a bit of flexibility might help with it. I don't know if that's planning, but it can certainly facilitate the arrival of a new player or returning player.

But I think the nature of your game (which in some ways sounds similar to mine; long standing, ongoing in the same campaign world) lends itself to your playstyle and the way you DM. Which is fine. But it doesn't mean that approach works for everyone.

Some games will have players who want more input into the game. Some games will have the same 3 or 4 people no matter what. And so on.

* - he came to our Yule party, we got talking, he showed interest in getting back in as real life was now allowing the time for it. Nobody objected, and a few weeks later after we'd all got over the flu, in he came.

Many times I don't even know ahead of time what characters will be in the party. Most of my players have a bunch of 'em, and they get cycled in and out between adventures depending on which one(s) the player feels like playing. Only when we're on a semi-hard AP within the campaign (like right now) can I predict a reasonably consistent party for a run of a few adventures.

Sure, but this is how you've chosen to set things up. The story isn't dependent on any particular characters. It's mission based, in a sense....here's what's needed, here's who is going to go on the mission. Players having multiple characters at different levels is also a choice. I don't think most games work that way. So you've created a situation where you cannot really predict the party make up.

For others, the story flows from the characters. The reason they are doing what they're doing is because one or more of the characters are invested in the adventure.

My game is a mix of both of these things. I do have goals and problems that I introduce as the GM, and expect the players to get involved to some extent with them. But the players also have goals of their own that we've incorporated into the game. So there's almost always some personal connection to what they're trying to do.

Where in my view the DM is, in the end, fully allowed to do that...though if she goes overboard on it she risks losing her players; so some degree of give and take is inevitable. In the end, though, the DM rules.

Lan-"a sign on my first DM's screen read 'THE DM IS GOD. ABIDE OR DIE.' and I've lived by that ever since"-efan

Yes, I understand that approach. I've played in many games like that, and they are perfectly fun. But others have a different view of the role of the DM and the players and how much they collaborate.

The style of my game has a lot in common with yours. But there are also a few key differences, and in those cases, I think I lean more toward Pemerton's style, even if the methods we use might be different.

Sadras

Legend
I'm trying to wrap my head around that....I mean, it's all made up, so I would think you can make it do whatever you want.....but, I'll take your word for it.

I can understand @Lanefan in this (lets called it OCD). Our multi-campaign game has just introduced the multiverse - and I had to tie up timelines between FR (week = 10 days) and Mystara (week = 7 days) due to a particular cosmological event (secret backstory).

I'm glad it is done, but I wouldn't want to do it again.
And the only reason to do this is because Time (and therefore travel time via the exploration pillar) plays an intricate factor in how the setting may change based on the PC actions or in-actions over the course of the game.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I've pulled out a few items to focus upon.

My response to this is slightly round about.

My own experience is that play becomes more engaged, and visceral, when the stakes reflect player buy in, rather than a GM-established McGuffin. A very large number of modules involve McGuffins ("fetch quests" are the paradigm; just today I saw a post which suggested that it is good GMing to require a PC to go on a quest to get ingredients for the magic item that s/he wants for his/her PC).

I don't think that the GM establishing what the game is about has to involve McGuffins. But I think it can.

If the GM buys into the players' stuff and embellishes it and works with it, I find the engagement and visceral nature of play increases. That's a mixture of aesthetic preference ( @Lanefan upthread said he doesn't want pressure when playing; for me it's pretty vital, and McGuffins are the enemy of pressure in the relevant sense as the pressure is purely tactical/operational, not gut-wrenching) and generalization from experience. Both are prone to idiosyncrasy!

I won't say that I don't use McGuffin type elements from time to time in my game. They tend not to be as basic as finding ingredients or the like. I usually tie such quests more tightly to in game elements or events. Given that we're playing D&D in a fantasy world, I don't want to discard such item based quests, which are a big part of the genre expectations.

However, I do think such quests function differently in a game as opposed to fiction. So I try to take that into consideration.

I agree about player engagement, though. It's why much of my "GM backstory" actually draws upon a lot of elements created or introduced by my players.

Why am I using a rule that goes contrary to my preferences and that has irritated one of my players? Two reasons: I want to play the game more-or-less as written, to get the "Traveller experience"; and the rule is there to make getting psionics fairly hard, and I'm happy for that part of the game experience to be delayed a bit because it will change the nature of the game once this player's PC does develop psionics.

Why not just ban psionics, then? See the first of my two reasons. But then why, given that reason, am I not using sector-mappig? Because (i) I contain multitudes etc, and (ii) that would have such a ubiquitous blocking effect that it would make the game effectively unplayable for me, and so on that point Traveller has had to yield.

To compare this with the finding of the map example (removing the arbitrary choice of it being in the breadbin, see my comments below), what if the map is meant to be hard to find? Obviously, the breadbin makes no sense. But let's change it a bit....what if it was in the orc chief's treasure chest? That makes sense in the fiction, and makes the finding of the map more of a challenge for the PCs.

Does this still violate your player attempting to determine the map in the first room of the complex that they enter?

Or is the map just the maguffin itself? Is it just the impetus introduced to get the players to explore the complex? The more they explore, the greater the chance for some compelling aspect of gameplay to emerge.

Doesn't finding the map immediately undo that?

This all assumes importance being placed on the possession of the map (it's needed for some greater purpose, or it can lead to further adventure, or finding it is the current goal, etc.).

I posted a lot about this upthread. The difference I see is that in your orc example the player knows the fictional positioning - the GM has framed something, and the player has to deal with it. (If the player declared an action to sneak within dagger distance of the orc, and the GM fiated failure, that's a further matter, but I hope you're happy for me to assume that the player finds his/her PC at sub-optimal distance from the orc either as the result of a failed check, or in other circumstances where the GM was at liberty to frame the PC, and thereby the player, into adversity.)

In the case of the hidden document, the player doesn't know the fictional positioning - it's secret fictional positioning, secret backstory that leads to failure.

Upthread we also discussed invisible opponents, or NPCs in social encounters with hidden motivations or quirks. My view about these is that they're fair game if (i) the hidden stuff is knowable by the players within the current framing, and (ii) the hidden stuff in some sense is salient (because if not salient then, in practice, not knowable even if knowable in principle), and (iii) the failure to find the hidden stuff won't be a "rocks fall" moment.

Obviously factors (ii) and (iii) in particular are highly contextual - I would take more liberties playing with friends than with strangers.

My view is that the hidden document - which in this thread has served as placeholder for the generic "clue", or the generic thing that is central to the unfolding of play - violates (iii), and may well violate (ii) if the GM has decided that it's hidden in some largely arbitrary or unlikely place (my example upthread was the breadbin in the kitchen).

Okay, I will admit to thinking the mention of the map being in the bread bin was arbitrary in the context of an example, not that you meant if the location of the map is arbitrary, then why not simply allow it to be where the player hoped.

In the case of an arbitrary choice such as that, I would not in any way feel beholden to having the map be in the kitchen rather than the study. It's unimportant, and it may as well be in one place as another. I suppose that I'd question if the determination of such unimportant game elements really qualifies as player agency, though.

If the map or its location were not arbitrary, but were instead planned as part of the framing of the challenge, would that be different in your eyes?

This obviously isn't exact science, but what is motivating my comments here is that the practical result of the map being hidden in the breadbin is that quite a bit of the actual episode of play, at the table, will be the players declaring moves for their PCs that trigger the GM to narrate stuff about the rooms of the house being searched by the PCs until eventually they think to search the breadbins and the GM tells them they find the map. Because of issue (iii) the play couldn't continue without that moment taking place; because of issue (ii) it is an extended period of play; and thus a lot of time is spent on something where the players exercise little agency and the game doesn't really move forward.

Contrast: there are two scroll cases in the study, one with the rune of Ioun and one with the rune of Vecna, and one of the PCs is an invoker who is affiliated with both these (mutually opposed) deities, and finding the map in one or the other would count as a big reveal. We now have (i) and (ii) both satisfied, so no risk of a type (iii) misfire because the hidden thing is going to be revealed. Personally I would be quite comfortable with this sort of framing.

Between the two examples - of breadbins, and of two scroll cases on the desk - lie a range of other possibilities which differ as far as (i), (ii) and (iiii) are concerned. It's not an exact science. But I've tried to explain why I incline to one end of the spectrum, and the method I use to try and satisfy myself that that's where I am.

That's all fine. I can understand your preference even if I don't share it in the same way. I suppose that part of the disconnect was that I was viewing the finding of the map as a challenge, rather than some arbitrary element, and so, to me it seems odd to have a player be able to introduce a solution to the problem through the mechanism of a simple Search/Perception check.

Remove ads