• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is *worldbuilding* for?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't necessarily think that the hobby is better served by having less hidden backstory in RPGing, but I do think it is better served by actually recognising, in literal rather than metaphorical terms, how various techniques work and what sort of play experience they might deliver. I think this helps break down ungrounded misconceptions: eg that the action declaration "I search the study for the map" is different from the action declaration "I attack the orc with my sword". Of course in real life, looking for something is a very different causal process from trying to decapitate someone. But in RPGing, both action declarations expressions of desire as to the future state of the shared fiction (I found a map or I killed an orc), they can both be declared from a purely first-person RP perspective ("actor stance", to use some jargon), and it's possible to establish rules for resolving either that don't rely on hidden backstory-based adjudication.

So if, in fact, we are going to resolve them differently - the map one by referring to the GM's notes; the orc one by rolling dice - well, it's worth asking why we do it that way.

The two things are only alike in certain ways, and you've focused on those, and I don't think they matter. There is a key difference in these two examples that I think is far more important.

The orc has been introduced into the fiction. Not the idea of the orc, or its existence, but its actual presence as something that the PC knows is there before him. Here is the orc...I can talk to it, or hide from it, or attack it, or otherwise interact with it.

The map has only been introduced conceptually, but its location has not been established. So in that case, it's more the PC interacting with the room to see if the map is there than it is the PC interacting with the map.

An important distinction. And it's why this Map/Orc example is not very useful.

I keep imagining the Council of Rivendell as an RPG scene and the player of Boromir, bored with all the talking and politicking yells that he attacks Sauron! He makes a perception check to find Sauron and succeeds! Sauron is there spying on them, and Boromir attacks!

Wouldn't want to deny player agency in establishing the fiction!

S

Sunseeker

No, WH40K is grim-dark. If you told me we were doing Pathfinder, but with differences on the level of Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed, I'd be thrilled. The whole Tolkien-pastiche/Greyhawk/FR thing is getting tired for me; "our gnomes are eight feet tall and launched the last dwarf into spaaaace" would get me to clear my schedule in a heartbeat to play.
Oh yeah. But that's what I mean, a Pathfinder game can do this. A WH40K really can't get rid of the grimdark. You can certainly choose not to take the grimdark to 11, but it's still gonna be a little grimdark.

I see there's a problem, but it looks like the DM never even really tried to produce a player-managable form of the world, or at least failed. The fact they have so much material, likely not meant for player eyes, seems neither here nor there.
Yeah, I'd be fairly happy at this point if we had even gotten a 10-page paper documenting major kingdoms, people's and history.

Emerikol

Adventurer
This works for those of you who have been playing with the same group for decades. You likely don't even need to ask.

I generally find it works for most groups but I think perhaps what it is is not clear.

I tend to have a traditional D&D setting but I vary it some across different campaigns. What I find best is for the player to receive a basic sheet detailing the races, classes, and initial terrain in the setting. That person then comes up with an idea for a character in a generic sense and I help them flesh it out with specific details from the actual setting. Typically this is via a bunch of phone calls before the first session ever begins.

For me, I am generally against using a canned setting. I view those games with built in settings as flawed in some fundamental way. Now again if you love them that is cool and it’s obviously not flawed for you. I just don’t like them. As DM or player.

I also provide a good bit of detail up front. Common knowledge stuff is a given like the Gods for example. At least those worshipped in the starting area if that is not all of them. If a player realizes they think they ought to know something and I agree I just tell them right then. If it’s possible but not certain we do an intelligence check.

I find the wargamy adventure path convention play approach to be boring. Again that’s me. I really want to explore.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Yeah, I'd be fairly happy at this point if we had even gotten a 10-page paper documenting major kingdoms, people's and history.

You’d be happy with me then as I’d provide maps, religions, kingdoms, racial relations, and your conceptual backstoey would be given life in the world.

Color me unexcited. It doesn't even feel like a game at that point. I don't want to leave the fiction open; I want to entangle it in the rules. Clue/Cluedo is quite simplistic, but "by a process of elimination, find the who, how and where" is way more exciting than "make a series of fiction-disconnected dice rolls". Look at D&D combat, of just about any edition; there's a host of complex decisions to make. If an ogre and goblin attack the party, do you try and bring down the ogre first to stop him from doing more damage, or do you take out the goblin quickly to avoid having to worry about him? Every good game is filled with options that interact with each other in complex ways and the odds on each option, especially in the long run, are not clear.

Then you completely failed to understand what the point of a Skill Challenge is. Where do you get the idea that it is 'a series of fiction-disconnected dice rolls", that is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what an SC is. The whole point of it is there's a plot and fictional positioning which is paramount, success and failure and other mechanics just provide the measure and some incentives for players to work on their positioning.

And there's a complex set of decisions to be made in any decent SC! Do I try to woo the Princess or Intimidate the Minister? Is it time to spend my next chance to do something helping my friend win the duel or putting a sleeping draught in the guard's meal? How do we deal with the sudden appearance of the High Priest? An SC should be a thrilling sequence of scenes in an arc that relate to a goal and are thus thematically tied together, forming a scenario, but with a constantly changing and varied situation that evolves in response to each move of the PCs. If you read DMG1, really read it, (or the RC, which is even clearer) that becomes pretty clear. WHY people can't seem to read the thing is a mystery to me.

I'm a little surprised the SC mechanic hasn't been explored properly in 5e, either in the additional 5e published material or in UA (especially the latest one). I would pay good money for a book which runs through numerous SC examples even if that is all it was. There really is so much content available for those in the know.

Perhaps one of the 4e luminaries should do that and sell it on the DMs Guild because WotC doesn't appear to want to go down that direction. I reckon it would sell well.

To be perfectly honest, you could whip out the Essentials Rules Compendium and run an SC right out of it in a 5e game, assuming your 5e is using skills (which most do). You'll need to adapt the concept of DCs a little, since 5e doesn't really conceive of bonuses increasing in the same way, but I think you could easily generate a chart that matrixed level to easy/medium/hard and gave the DC that would approximate their 4e success probabilities. The numbers will increase much less and so level will be a LOT less of a factor in an SC in that system, but the general framework should hold. I haven't played 5e at the highest levels, maybe there's some wonkiness there. Spells are a bit more open-ended, but 4e rituals were too. I think it can work fine.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Then you completely failed to understand what the point of a Skill Challenge is. Where do you get the idea that it is 'a series of fiction-disconnected dice rolls",

Thus solving a mystery could be precisely defined in 4e as 'a Complexity 5 Skill Challenge of Level 7' for instance.

And searching for a Skill Challenge leads me to http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/gaming/dnd/4e/skill-challenge-broken.html . Now I would define solving a mystery as being something that the players might do by asking the right questions, no skill check needed; by finding the right places to apply skills in ways that have low difficulty; or by ridiculous DC checks against people who wouldn't talk unless they've been persuaded by the best diplomat and finding minute evidence in areas that have scoured clean. How you boil that down to two numbers and claim to be fiction-connected, I'm not sure.

If you read DMG1, really read it, (or the RC, which is even clearer) that becomes pretty clear. WHY people can't seem to read the thing is a mystery to me.

I have somewhere around a half a million pages of printed RPGs, a shameful number of which I haven't read. I haven't really read a number of the Pathfinder expansion books, which is the game I run. I haven't really read the 5th edition core rulebooks, a game it looks increasingly likely I'll spend sometime playing. I haven't really read M20 or Pugmire or Threadbare, games I Kickstarted that look very cool. Behind me, I have a bookcase, some 15 feet of books, that if I could get through I would possess a knowledge of world and English literature few, especially those of us with math degrees, can claim. Not to mention various other things I could be doing besides reading. Why does it surprise you that the 4th edition DMG is not high on my list to carefully read?

Sadras

Legend
To be perfectly honest, you could whip out the Essentials Rules Compendium and run an SC right out of it in a 5e game, assuming your 5e is using skills (which most do). You'll need to adapt the concept of DCs a little, since 5e doesn't really conceive of bonuses increasing in the same way, but I think you could easily generate a chart that matrixed level to easy/medium/hard and gave the DC that would approximate their 4e success probabilities. The numbers will increase much less and so level will be a LOT less of a factor in an SC in that system, but the general framework should hold. I haven't played 5e at the highest levels, maybe there's some wonkiness there. Spells are a bit more open-ended, but 4e rituals were too. I think it can work fine.

Sure and I have looked at the RC which is a great book, but it offers only 1 example for complexity 1 SC. I'm was talking about a source which provides many examples of authored and on-the-spot skill challenges with varying levels of complexity and goals. I believe a resource like that would be fairly useful.

pemerton

Legend
The orc has been introduced into the fiction. Not the idea of the orc, or its existence, but its actual presence as something that the PC knows is there before him. Here is the orc...I can talk to it, or hide from it, or attack it, or otherwise interact with it.

The map has only been introduced conceptually, but its location has not been established.
I think your distinctions are not genuine ones. They trade on an illusion that "being introduced into the fiction" = "actually present". But it doesn't - fictional things dopn't really exist, and aren't present.

In the real world, the death of a being is a very different sort of property from the location of a thing, and likewise killing a thing is a different process from finding a thing. But the same is not true when it comes to authorship. Establishing, of an imaginary orc, that it is dead, is no different - as a process of authorship - from establishing, of an imaginary study, that it contains a map. Likewise establishing that This character kills a previously-mentioned orc is no different - as a process of authorship - from establishing that this character finds a map in a previously-mentioned study.

To put it another way: introudcing, as a new fictional element, a death - of the previously-mentioned orc - is no different, as a process of authorship, from introducing, as a new fictional element, a discovery of a map in the previously-mentioned study.

To put it yet another way: the metaphysics of authorship does not track the metaphysics of the imaginary events that are being authored. So causal differences that are fundamental in real life events are not fundamental to imagining those real life events.

It is possible to introduce an additional constraint on authorship if one wishes: this person, the RPG player, can only participate in processes of authorship where the subject-matter of that authorship is an imagined event (like killing an orc) that does not involve introducing new material into the fiction that was not causally produced, in the fiction, by that player's character.

But a constraint of that sort has no metaphysical backing behind it - its justification has to be aesthetic. [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] has provided that sort of justification in a post not far upthread of yours:

I guess, for me, the hidden backstory provides the 'mystery and adventure' I would desire as a player.

<snip>

The challenge and enjoyment for me is to uncover the mystery AND survive the adventure.

<snip>

Because the one is about the survival of combat (the tactical part of the game) and the other is part of the intrigue, the location to explore, the mystery to unravel the puzzle to solve.

Because we have hit points for combat, but don’t have social points and exploration points for the other pillars. That is not to say I'm not fond of SC mechanic.

Because that is how the game was originally envisioned. And despite the OP which is an attempt to differentiate between old and contemporary style of D&D – it is still roleplayed very much the same rather than different.
Thanks for the reply!

I would want to differentiate social and exploration. In the context of the current discussion social strikes me as the same, in principle, as combat: after all, what's the in principle difference, from the point of view of ingame causal processes, of chopping someone's head off or making them laugh by telling a joke?

And early D&D in fact had a social resolution mechanic - the reaction roll, modified by CHA plus (in Gygax's DMG) a whole host of other modifierrs around racial preference, other allegiances, etc. I can't say I have a lot of experience using this mechanic in AD&D play, but Classic Traveller has a very similar mechanic and so far I'm finding it works quite well in my Classic Traveller game: I let my players roll the dice (to make it feel more like they are resolving their action declaration of "I broadcast such-and-such a message to the other ship"). We apply the appropriate modifiers (which in Traveller are generally more about skills or circumstances than stats) and that establishes the result. And I follow the guidelines for when a new roll is permitted (or required), to see if the initial reaction changes.

As far as exploration is concerned - uncovering the mystery in a module like B10, for instance - what you describe in this and your previous post does sound like the GM establishes the content of the shared fiction, and the players declare moves that will enable them to learn that content, by obliging the GM to tell it to them. The agency of the players, in respect of this aspect of play, seems to consist in affecting the sequence in which that material is learned (and perhaps whether or not it is learned, if they never declare the right moves for their PCs), and in drawing inferences from what the GM has told them.

The difference from, say, reading a novel seems to be that you can't just turn the pages as you wish: rather, you have to declare certain game moves in order to get access to those "pages".

If its just all part of a collaborative creative process amongst players and DM then it is far less mysterious.

<snip>

It seems like the challenge in your adventures (and I do not mean to sound disparaging) is to 'win' on the skill challenge for the story (collaborative narrative) to be true AND survive the adventure. There is no mystery to be discovered, but the 'yes but complications' which need to be overcome. Again, do not mean to insult here.
No insult taken at all, but I think the description is not quite right.

"I search the map for the study" is not an act of collaborative storytelling. It is a declaration of an action for my PC. It can be done purely in the first-person perspective. This is what makes mystery possible. Eg in my Traveller game, there is a bioweapons conspiracy whose originator and motivations are unknown, and which the PCs (and players) are trying to work out. The answers to these mysteries will be generated through a combination of outcomes of skill checks and material introduced as components of framing. No one will have to engage in "collaborative storytelling", any more than they have to to resolve a D&D combat. Just as game rules can tell you whether or not your roll is good enough to kill an orc, they can tell you whether or not your roll is good enough to (eg) locate a supplier of drugs, befriend said supplier, etc.

In Traveller much of the detail of the mystery will have to be provided by free narration, either the GM's framing or as a result of the GM saying "yes" to player action declarations, Classic Traveller's mechanics for things like perception, searching, etc are a bit weak. But it will still flow from action declaration. For instance, an ealier patron encounter (the result of the action declaration "I chill at the bar of the Traveller's Aid Society hoping to meet a patron), and the way that encounter unfolded in the back-and-forth of free roleplaying, has established constraints on the logic of the conspiracy. In the session we played on Sunday the PCs elected to attack the conspirators rather than take a bribe from them. Had they taken the bribe, we would then probably have had to make a further reaction roll when discussions ensued; and (say) a good reaction would impose further constraints on tenable narration of subsequent fiction. Etc.

The only "collaboration" that is necessary is a shared sense of genre and fictional position that supports solid framing, action declartions and narration of consequences. Eg the example that [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] offers makes no sense, as nothing in the fiction makes it remotely plausible that Sauron would be in Rivendell; and even if Boromir could perceive a long way (not absurd - he went to Rivendell in response to a dream, after all) he can't attack at that distance. Similarly, if it's established that the PCs are in a cave, then "I search the study for the map" is not a reasonable action declaration. (Just as with Luke Crane's example: no roll to find beam weaponry in the Duke's toilet.)

pemerton

Legend
Well, this statement at the end of the post you quoted is mistaken: "combat isn't an all-or-nothing situation. Careful strategy can massively swing the results. A single failure to hit is usually irrelevant. The characters can trade daily powers and action points to help. It's possible to recover from a bad situation. None of this is present in the skill challenge system. It's all or nothing."

A skill challenge isn't all or nothing - the players might lose the challenge overall, but make some important change in the fiction on the way through.

And a skill challenge does permit the expenditure of resources to help - this is discussed in the DMG and further elaborated in the DMG 2 - which is one way of managing the need for more successes relative to failures in a more complex challenge. (And as [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has already indicated, the RC has further information and advice.)

pemerton said:
just as if you refer to a combat with two creatures having AC 12 and 20 hp and AC 14 and 50 hp, you haven't established any fiction either.
For a simplified version of a fairly trivial combat, you've used twice as many numbers (as "Level 7 Complexity 5"), and you have established some fiction, however vague. There's two individuals, and guy one is much weaker and a little bit easier to hit than guy two.
The only fiction that is established is that one of those people is harder to defeat in combat than the other. Which is equally a property of a skill challenge once DCs are set in accordance with the guidelines.

We don't know that one of the creatures is "easier to hit" in any in-fiction sense: the higher AC could be due to DEX (harder to hit) or armour (harder to hurt) or (in 5e) barbarian CON bonus (tough skin), etc. And the different hp don't mean that, in the fiction, one is weaker than the other: in AD&D the 20 hp being might be an ogre, and the 50 hp being a 13th level thief with CON 15. The ogre clearly is bigger and stronger than the thief; the thief's higher hp reflect nimbleness, luck, divine protections, etc.

Given an actual stat block, like from B1:

1. Orcs (1-4)-AC 6, HD 1, hp 6,4,3,1, #AT 1, D 1-6 or by weapon, MV 90' (30'), Save F1, ML 8
2. Giant Centipedes (1-2)-AC 9, HD 1/2, hp 2,2, #AT 1, D poison, MV 60' (20'), Save NM, ML 7

Fiction starts to appear out of numbers.
This is no different from a skill challenge. If I make notes that, on a failed Endurance check in the course of the challenge to cross The Barrens, a PC loses a healing surge due to dehydration, that is establishing fiction.

Remove ads