D&D General What Is Your D&D Survivor Edition?

The One Edition of D&D You Keep

• OD&D (White Box)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B/X (BECMI)

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • AD&D 1st Edition

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • AD&D 2nd Edition

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • D&D 3.x Edition

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • D&D 4th Edition

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • D&D 5th Edition

Votes: 47 47.0%

From my point of view we're living the golden age of D&D because we can buy and play both D&D 5e (the best of WOTC era) and Old School Essentials (the best of TSR era... improved).
Because this poll is about official versions of the game only, the choice was easy and painless : 5e.

dave2008

Legend
I said 5e, but 4e is a close second. What I would really like is a combination of the two. That would probably be easier if I had the 4e chassis, but at this point I know 5e so much better than 4e.

dave2008

Legend
I taught my 5 year old son the basics of D&D - using 5E. He is in kindergarten. I think the 5E might be a bit more complex, but they're also a lot better written. The ease of understanding the rules is probably very close to eqivalent.
I taught my son 4e at the same age. I think we often over inflate the difficulty of learn to play D&D.

delericho

Legend
5e for me, I guess. I'm not entirely happy with that choice, but it's the least-worst option there.

Although I suppose it depends somewhat on player availability. If everyone else is doing their own "survivor version" then I'd actually go for whatever the rest of my local players pick - I'd rather run/play my second or third choice than not be able to play at all due to being wedded to my first pick.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
3.x was tempting; there's just so much completely wild and new oddball stuff to try out and play with. We will likely never see anything the likes of the Binder, Archivist, Factotum, Incarnum, etc, ever again, which is the saddest thing about leaving it behind.

But 5e is just a much better, smoother game, and if I had to choose only one edition, that's gotta be the one.

I'm still gonna crib 4e monster design though

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Why, 4e of course. It could be better, if instead of stupid short and long rests there were actually reasonable once per scene and once per session abilities, but it's good enough the way it is.

That, or B/X. It's not like they're even remotely comparable

Remove ads