D&D General What is your favorite Class?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
In 3e, the Sorcerer and then the Psion and Warlock were the nonvancian casters.

In 4e, the Sorcerer was the damage-dealing "Striker" role.

But in 5e, I have trouble finding a purpose for it. Now the 5e Wizard has nonvancian, spontaneous, spell casting (and it is better than the spellcasting of previous editions, including 3e Psion).

Conceptually, I view the Sorcerer as wielding a modified body (whether modified by Dragon blood or Aberration warpings) or whatever. They dont "learn" to cast spells in my view − their body "is" magic − it is more like learning to pilot their magical body.

For you, what is it that about the 5e Sorcerer that captures your imagination?
Among the many reasons? The lore. The sorcerer is my ideal caster class. It supports basically almost any spellcaster as shown in popular media, literature, folklore and mythology. The funny part is that I almost didn't look at it twice when I first found it in the wild. "Oh, another wizard? Why do we need two of a thing that doesn't work?" But after reading about dragons I got interested and gave it a second read. I've been hooked ever since.

(Why do I say the wizard doesn't work? Look at the discussion on "The Perfect Class list" to see how I have never been able to get into the wizard. The wizard has only ever held my imagination for the very short time between learning of the game and the time I first read the class description. It has very inflexible lore and restricted backstories. And while 5e is better, it just feels empty and not provocative enough. I feels like someone else's power fantasy)

Now, probably 3.5 is my favorite version of the class, specially with all splats on. (My second favorite is 2e's version from Baldur's Gate, 4e's is my least favorite incarnation to date) And the 5e's version is pretty serviceable -though it has gotten way better over the edition, PHB-only sorcerer is borderline unplayable, while after Tasha's it is very very nice-. I don't think it needs a mechanical justification to exist, as long as it supports the themes and lore it has always supported it is a win in my book. (It is because of this that 4e's version is my least favorite) Really, we need the sorcerer in D&D. Without it we lose a lot of character concepts and backgrounds that no other class provides.

Is it perfect? no, the limited spells known and crippled selection haven't been solved, and I still miss familiars, spears and some of the world building utility spells. But it could be worse -way worse!-.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I haven't played any of the previous editions, but my favorite class is definitely the Artificer. I just love the magitek, sci-fi, and diverse playstyles and characters that you can get with the class. My second is probably a tie between the Warlock and Paladin, and my third is probably the Wizard.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Overall: cleric. Mostly for the versatility but I am also OK with the whole fantasy religion thing, though I may put some spin on it. The 1E ranger however really stands out, and the class has never really gotten back there.

As cleric implies, I am also fond of multiclassing. B/X elf would be another top class (and race!). So something like light cleric, or war cleric--essentially multiclassing through the subclass--in 5e are very good.

Yaarel

He Mage
Hands down the 4E swordmage. The most fun I’ve had playing D&D.
I havent gotten a chance to play the Swordmage, but the concept in is awesome.

In 5e, I would do it as a fullcaster, reaching spell slot 9, but whose spells are melee range. It fights by means of spells.

The 5e Bladesinger is kinda close, but the melee spells of the Swordmage give it a superhero vibe.

I hope the 5e version, can use spells to enhance their Unarmed Strikes as well as swords, along with melee range auras.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I havent gotten a chance to play the Swordmage, but the concept in is awesome.

In 5e, I would do it as a fullcaster, reaching spell slot 9, but whose spells are melee range. It fights by means of spells.

The 5e Bladesinger is kinda close, but the melee spells of the Swordmage give it a superhero vibe.

I hope the 5e version, can use spells to enhance their Unarmed Strikes as well as swords, along with melee range auras.
I’ve run it as a hexblade warlock. Swap CHA for INT and swap the specter for the Fey misty step. Pick all the teleport spells you can and eladrin, of course. For the most bamf for your buck.

Remove ads