D&D General What is your favorite Class?

Greg K

Legend
  • 1e: I liked the Ranger (following the UA additions) and Thief. I liked the theme and class abilities.
    • David Howery's revised Barbarian from Dragon Magazine as it fixed issues with the official version and made for a nice non-spellcasting wilderness warrior and supported cultural variations .
  • 2e.
    • Cleric: I liked Domains and, as a DM tool, The Complete Priest's Handbook. I
    • Ranger (see 1e)
    • Thief (especially, with the Complete Thief's Handbook) for tailoring the class to fit many thief archetypes
    • several of the classes in Mayfair Games's Witches: It better fit many spellcasters from pre-D&D influences
  • 3e.
    • Green Ronin's Psychic: Finally, a class whose mechanics felt closer to how things worked in Firestarter, X-men, and some other sources that escape me right now.
    • Green Ronin's Shaman: Mechanically, it still my favorite take. It didn't focus the class on totems. It recognized that different cultures often associate different spirits to different characteristics (e.g. Healing, Trickery). The spell list felt thematically appropriate and the book looked at "shamans" from different cultures and did a good examination of the overall topic.
    • Green Ronin's Witch: Again my favorite witch class. It covered a wide variety of "witches" from myth, legends, and fantasy stories, and modern tradtitions. The spell list theme felt appropriate. Also, it did a good job of looking at themes associated with certain witchcraft traditions
    • Barbarian (with UA cultural weapons variant, Crafty hunter, and Favored Environment variants) as they allowed for many cultural variants
    • Cleric: if using the DMG variant: Tailored Spell Lists and UA variant: Cloistered Cleric. It allowed for customization of the class to better a variety of deities.
    • Rogue w/ UA Martial and Wilderness variants as the variants allowed the class to better model a wide variety of rogues archetypes from stories, tv, movies,
  • 4e:
    • Fighter and Rogue for the interesting class abiities and builds
    • Ranger for allowing for a non-magical version.
  • 5e.
    • the Bard: finally, a version that fits the pre-D&D bards from myth and legends, and books such as the Mists of Avalon
    • The Fighter (Battlemaster) for its customization and maneuvers.
    • Khaalis's Light Armored Fighter variant for handling the Light Armored Warrior as I envision them based on movies

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
BECMI: 1) Fighter, 2) Wizard
AD&D2e: 1) Fighter, 2) Wizard
D&D3.5: 1) Crusader, 2) Wizard
Pathfinder1e: 1) Barbarian, 2) Wizard (Diviner)
D&D5e: 1) Paladin (Devotion), 2) Wizard (Diviner)

So, there IS a pattern! 😄

pming

Legend
Hiya!
Out of all of the Classes from every edition, which Class if your favorite and why?

B/X: Magic-User
-- Just love the art of every MU ever drawn for it. Oh, and d4hp, AC9 and 1 spell at level 1. What can I say? I like to play on Hardcore Mode. ;)

BECMI: Halfling
-- Not sure...just love the little guys!

1e AD&D: Paladin or Magic-User (toss up)
-- Paladin; Love the RP'ing challenge! MU; Love the spell lists potential...and using spells "outside the box".

2e AD&D: Cleric (...probably; didn't play much 2e, only a few years)
-- Specialty Clerics were a cool addition.

Hackmaster 4e: ...I don't think I've ever actually PLAYED it...only DM. But... I'd go with Blood Mage or Berserker.
-- Blood Mage...I mean... c'mon! Who wouldn't want to play this at least once? Berserker...in a game called HACKMASTER. Yes please!

3e D&D: None...they all sucked.
-- ...although I did like Monks with their special ability of "Flurry of Misses". That was fun. ;)

4e: ...avoided like the plague...
-- ... ... ...

5e: Fighter
-- Simplicity of the Fighter (Champion). Simplicity of a single "focus". No muss, no fuss...and actual Armour matters again.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
only player 5e but for some reason, I love monk and badly want to learn how to fix it into its full potential, also I oddly like half casters but find neither of the options really my jam.

GuyBoy

Hero
I can be guilty of being a bit lazy in terms of bookkeeping, so tend to avoid wizards.
In 1E I played fighters, paladins and rogues. By 3e, I also played bards and rangers too, and have stuck by this, but dabbled in sorcerer too.
My last two characters, in games run by @TheSword have been a bard and a ranger.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I've always loved Wizards and Rogues, in that order, but when I could get the two combined, it was fantastic, and in the end the bard made a wonderful combination, so:
  • BECMI: Magic-User
  • AD&D: Magic-User / Thief
  • 3e: Wizard, Arcane Trickster, Bard
  • 4e: A bit of an exception here, but the Swordmage was brilliant, as well as the Warlord (but this goes to show hoe 4e classes are soooo different, wizards in 4e did not feel at all wizardy to me)
  • 5e: Bard, although I must admit that I love the 5e paladins as well

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I can't decide, so I'll go with Fighter since my first character was a fighter and I do love the aesthetics. A shame that I skipped 4e, because I probably would have loved that version. I guess the runner-up would be 1e's Thief-Acrobat. Then there's wizards, paladins, rangers, sorcerers, rogues, druids, etc.

TheSword

Legend
For me in 5e Rangers, Rogues, Fighters and Sorcerers are great fun to play. Quite often I will multi-class though. I think a Ranger-Sorcerer is great fun, has lots of options and feels like a really competent character.

Remove ads