D&D General What is your favorite Class?

Moorcrys

Explorer
Favorites:

B/X - Elf
1e - Illusionist
2e - Fighter/Cleric
3e - Hexblade (not an optimal class but I loved it) or Beguiler
4e - Warlord (tactical) or Mage (Illusionist)
5e - Gloomstalker Ranger or Wild Magic Sorcerer

Richards

Legend
I used to be the full-time DM, but now that my grown son runs his own campaigns (three so far) as well I've gotten to run a PC again. I prefer the general simplicity of the fighter (and I've noticed I tend to gravitate to stupid brute characters), but I've made a conscious decision for our next campaign (to be run by one of our players who wants to give DMing a try for the first time in decades) to go against type and run a high-intelligence human sorcerer.

Johnathan

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Hey, @Mind of tempest - no frowns. This means more that I have a great time engaging with just about every class in 5e that I've tried! I have, luckily, been playing more D&D in the last year and a half than I have in the last couple of decades, and it has been awesome.
I was sad because I inferred you do not get to play very much like me, if you are content then that is great.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I can pretty much enjoy any class I play, but there are certain themes that do come up from time to time.

Rangers - I've liked them since 1e (although 2e's was one of the low points of that edition - the editions were compatible enough we just kept playing 1e rangers). Particularly good version are 1e's, 4e's, PF's, and, yes, 5e's.

Bards - yes, I played a 1e bard and had a blast with him.

Clerics - I really dug into the specialty priests of 2e and I'd like to see more portfolio-based specialties appear for 5e

Druids - also been a big fan since 1e. I always thought they had a particularly interesting spell list.

Monks - my favorite versions are based on Oriental Adventure's martial arts. I really enjoyed building styles and would like to see a modular approach to doing so for 5e.

Paladins - I've played paladins in multiple editions but particularly good ones are PF's and 5e's.

Rogues - I've been enjoying 5e's rogue in particular. Excellent use of bonus actions to make the class play differently from other classes.

Wizards - 5e's wizards are my favorite edition so far

Yaarel

He Mage
It is cool how different our favorite classes are.

It shows how even the niche classes of each edition are doing something good and important.

Yaarel

He Mage
Mage/thief, from 2e. I like being sneaky, I like being able to use a reasonable weapon, and I like the flexibility of a spellbooks instead of the goofy "spells known" limitation.

No edition since has provided the same experience.
How does a 5e Wizard/Rogue multiclass compare?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
How does a 5e Wizard/Rogue multiclass compare?
Well, there's no way to be a 1st level Wizard/Rogue. So right off the bat it's different.

And you gain a level in Wizard and then a level in Rogue and then back and forth. You're never a mage/thief, you're both a Wizard and a Rogue. This may be semantics, but it just feels totally different.

The 3.0 DMG had a sidebar on how to multiclass at 1st level, which was workable but still had the same long-term dissonance. That sidebar did not appear in 3.5 and that was pretty much that.

Weiley31

Legend
Give me a bit as I'm still recovering from the latest UA and work.

But for 5E so far: Barbarian and Warlock. surprisingly I have two Barbarian characters in two different campaigns. A third one is probably coming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases