What is your favorite evil cult?

Oryan77

Adventurer
I need to introduce an evil cult to be used as antagonists. I'm interested in a cult of an existing D&D god.

What was your favorite cult of a deity and why?

Celebrim

Legend
Err.. actually my favorite cult doesn't meet your criteria.

It's my homebrew Kelternist cult, named after the philosopher/sage Keltern the Leper.

It's a bit complicated, but the gist of it is that the Kelternists believe that if they can get people to stop worshiping the gods the gods will cease to exist, and that this is a Very Good Thing.

Exactly why I like, it's worth noting that all the Kelternists and all the gods in the campaign are actually just me. So the Kelternists are actually in revolt against not something philosophical but... me, something I'm quite sympathetic too as an aim.

Of course, the other irony that I appreciate here is that in threatening my existence, the Kelternists are somewhat wrong about the consequences... at least I think they are. ;)

What is the difference between a priesthood of an evil deity, and a cult? I like Bane as a deity, but his worshipers seem too open to be a "cult". While the religion of Cyric must be secretive, maybe that's just because Cyric used to be a thief.

Many things that are called cults in D&D don't involve deities. Many demonic/devilish cults, or Far Realm cults, for instance (the powers that they worship might be on par with deities though, even if the powers they grant are different). There might even be species-based cults. Yuan-ti secretly worship Zehir... but this is probably because they're yuan-ti, not because Zehir is specifically demanding secrecy.

One of the coolest examples I've seen isn't D&D. It's Warhammer Fantasy. In that setting, there's no racial distinction between high and dark elves, just cultural. Many dark elves worship Slaanesh, god of excess, and they can infiltrate high elven society and "seduce" (literally or otherwise) high elves into "turning to the dark side". (This wouldn't work in D&D though. A drow isn't a high elf or eladrin, and there aren't any evil gods that elves and drow could worship in common.)

Come to think of it, the Sith are effectively a cult.

Li Shenron

Legend
Are you using a specific campaign setting?

If you would like a heavily plotting cult, with political twists and dark secrets, I'd go with either Asmodeus or Shar. I like to make these the sort of cults that seduce rich, important people, who can't just be killed when discovered, and instead the story takes a scary turn for the players when they realize that these important people manage to make the cult socially acceptable, by hiding the whole truth and present it as a mostly harmless religion after all.

If you would like a violent and ruthless cult that physically terrorizes civilized lands... I'd go with Malar. The hunting aspects make it IMO more interesting that random destructive cults of other monstrous deities.

If you would like an insane cult, dark secrets again but this time practically incomprehensible, nothing beats Tharizdun for me. Or Cthulu, but that's usually set in the modern era rather than in a typical D&D setting.

Oryan77

Adventurer
This is a Planescape game, so I can work any groups into the game.

I suppose it doesn't have to be a cult of a deity. Just a known D&D group that I can use as antagonists. I'm creating an adventure for the party to look for the Rod of Seven Parts and doing it similar to how it was written in that boxed set. The NPCs in it just don't inspire me much. So I'm trying to come up with a good group (prefer a cult) that will also be searching for the pieces of the rod.

I'll even take suggestions for things like arcane groups. Isn't there an Arcane Brotherhood or something? Or like the Red Wizards and all of those guys from Dragonlance. I'm not really familiar with organizations like that, but I would not mind researching some if people gave suggestions.

darjr

I crit!
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Darrin_Drader's_"The_Cult_of_Tharizdun"_(3.5e_Quest)

Yea, Tharizdun. Especially the witnesses, they can be many things. From outright dangerously crazy, to calm calculating all to seemingly sane. To even completely sane, just with the knowledge that Tharizdun will come, so the only hope is to die mercifully at his hands by helping him.

Plus the cultists may never really know what they are, so they could be and act like any group until the final reveal, or a slow burn of realization, and dawning terror of what is really going on. Maybe some of the PC's even belong, not knowing the truth until they are hopelessly complicit, and the only way out is to destroy the cult.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Funny this should come up today as I was just pondering...not that this is 3e or planescape...BUT...

What would happen [would have happened?] if the "Cult of the Reptile God" [a.k.a. the naga from "Against the Cult of the Reptile God"] had never been stopped?

What if it had gone by unnoticed, the naga's infiltration of Orlane had been complete and then spread to surrounding areas...what if the naga, eventually was able to glean the beginnings of divine power (not actual divine power, but like the demons/devils that D&D cults are usually serving)...

What would that cult be like...its cultists, its "priests"...just how powerful could an evil naga become?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I had a Tibbit Warlock preaching about Ceiling Cat and Basement Cat. It was a really fun PC to play, I explained to my DM that it didn't really matter if those gods existed, but my PC was going to have a zealous faith regardless. My DM loved the idea, but unfortunately the campaign didn't last long enough to really make anything of it.

Stormonu

Legend
What about the Harmonium (Hard-Heads)? As a Planescape faction, I could see them very interested in recovering the Rod - for themselves - and act very negatively to anyone who got in their way.

Likewise, the Fraternity of Order might have plans on recovering the Rod (possibly working with or manipulating the Harmonium). Possibly a Fated might have interest in recovering the rod, using others to get it for him.

The Revolutionary League might have agents opposing the recovery of the Rod. Members of the Free League may see the Rod as a tool of enslavement and might want to ensure it is never put back together.

Remove ads