D&D 5E What is your favorite part of playing D&D?

What is your favorite part of playing D&D?

• Being someone else for a while

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Drama

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Hanging out with and/or entertaining your friends

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Unraveling mysteries or puzzles

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Finding ways to demonstrate your superiority over the game world

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Being part of a compelling story

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Dealing with zany or comical situations

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Tactical combat

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Exploring different worlds

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Interacting with other pretend people

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Trolling people on planet X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Watching with maniacal glee as other people interact with your creations

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Finding ways to be awesome or feel powerful

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Making meaningful choices

Votes: 9 19.6%

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As a DM, I quite enjoy giving other people a playground to use their imagination and feel the rush of excitement from a well-fought battle.

Sometimes a game ends with high-fives.
Making choices. Character build choices, tactical choices, moral dilemmas, sacrifices, all of it. I like imagining myself as someone else and/or in a different situation and making choices as I imagine I or that person would in that situation.

As a player, a few of the above (though I do lean towards exploration and puzzle solving).

As a DM, its less about my creations and more about adjudicating situations....of exploration and puzzle solving, and other things. A playground of choices could be another way to say it.

aco175

Legend
At this time in my life, it is mostly hanging out with my friends and family. Rolling dice and killing monsters is fun as well as overcoming traps and other obstacles on way to kill monsters, but mostly hanging out since I still get to play with both my father and my son.

I chose being someone else for a while ( a Dragonborn Fighter), hanging out with my friends virtually on the Discord and VTT ( the members of my group live in Ohio and Texas, I am from Michigan), and dealing with zany/comical situations (my party has a Wild Magic Sorcerer, a Teleporter, a Bladesinger Wizard, a Bard and me, the sole fighter in the group. :p ) Thanks to the Wild Magic Sorcerer and a DM who wrote up his own Wild Magic Surge table for the sorcerer, my party has had some really amusing moments. :p

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Creating compelling characters and leading them through a story were my primary focus for this. If its just a tactical dungeon romp, I will not be interested. YMMV.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Drama
Being part of a compelling story
Interacting with other pretend people

Basically long-form improvisation from the comfort of my own chair.

Remove ads