What is your Favorite Version of D&D?

Your Fav version of D&D

• Poll closed .

5E by a significant margin at this point. I realize it's new, but it tickles all the spots that AD&D did without the hideous bookwork of 3E and 4E, but with the mechanical innovations of those systems. It's like C&C, but a lot less bland.

Hibbott

First Post
Having started with red box D&D in the 80s and moved through 1st ed to 2nd ed in the 90s...a brief flirtation with 3.0 and 3.5 a decade or so ago...it just seemed like to much hassle to re-work all my NPCs and adventures let alone get the group to understand the new rules with minimal playing time available. So...we tried 3.0 and 3.5 for start from scratch adventures but whilst a lot of inconsistencies were ironed out it none of us knew the system well enough for it to be fluid gaming so for that very reason it's got to be 2e!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I voted for 2E simply because I haven't played enough 5E to make a definitive judgement yet. I like what I've run of 5E so far and it has potential to unseat 2E, though.

Scottius

Adventurer
At seven sessions in (4 DMing for one of my groups and 3 playing with my other group) 5e is my new favorite. Sure there's a bit of the "shiny newness" to it since it just released but it really does capture most of my favorite elements of the previous editions while getting rid of some of my biggest gripes (especially 3rd's huge stacking numbers.)

Runner up would be AD&D 1st Ed.

Uder

First Post
I think I prefer the total 1E experience the most, but sometimes I really like the "sweet spot" of 3.5 where it's not a hassle and the super-hero powers haven't kicked in. OD&D is the best for PUGs with "civilians". 5E is looking like a new favorite too, I'm liking it so far. Definitely has a "better C&C than C&C" feel to it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
4E is my absolute favourite by a proverbial country mile.

3.xE is next.

I would then rate 2E over 1E because the latter doesn't have functioning combat rules or any sense of coherence... despite being, ostensibly, an attempt to make OD&D into something coherent. But the 1E adventures are some of the best, as are my memories of first getting into this hobby 33+ years ago.

I won't comment on 5E because the game isn't out yet. I think it's a pretty solid updating of AD&D with some of the lessons learned from 3.xE and 4E but it will never be my first choice, that much I do know.

Derren

Hero
3E as it is still the edition which has the most options for gameplay besides dungeon hack&slash thanks to its skill system. Also, I like Combat as War more than Combat as Sport.

5E sounds like it turned D&D around into the, in my eyes, right direction again, but because of the very "simplyfied" rules stays behind 3E.

4E... Lets not mention it.

2E does sound interesting too from the things I read, bit I never played, so no idea.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
3.x/Pathfinder is my favorite.

I'm still reading through 5E and like Danny, I'm not going to make a final judgement on it until all 3 core books are out. So far I like a lot of what I'm reading in 5E, but every now and then I'll come across something that makes me cringe.

Remove ads