What is your Favorite Version of D&D?

Your Fav version of D&D

• Poll closed .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
4e for me, with the same caveat.

What I find funny is that people who are in favour of 5e have tried to convince me that 5e is great because there's a lot of 4e mechanics (buried somewhere) in there.

Yes

At the same time they're trying to convince 4e haters that 5e is great because it's a step back to older editions.

Yes

Considering 5e's design goal that may even make sense, but I suspect it just means that while it has something to like for everyone it also has something to dislike for everyone,

Could be

resulting in something that isn't truly great for anyone.

No. Its great.

Truly.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Just curious to see who prefers which version on their table. For me, I think 5E with all of its warts is fast becoming my favorite version of D&D. 3.x and 1E would be personal runner ups no douldt. Anyway, Has 5E become your personal fav version of D&D or are you still holding out with other versions?
4e grog here, still holding out. :)

4E is my absolute favourite by a proverbial country mile.

3.xE is next.

I would then rate 2E over 1E because the latter doesn't have functioning combat rules or any sense of coherence... despite being, ostensibly, an attempt to make OD&D into something coherent. But the 1E adventures are some of the best, as are my memories of first getting into this hobby 33+ years ago.

I won't comment on 5E because the game isn't out yet. I think it's a pretty solid updating of AD&D with some of the lessons learned from 3.xE and 4E but it will never be my first choice, that much I do know.
Yes, exactly this, with the exception that I'm not really familiar with anything earlier than 2e. So 4e > 3.x/PF > 2e. 5e may knock the 3e family down to 3rd favorite when I eventually play it -- I do like the new take on vancian casting! -- but I can already tell that it requires too many house rules to replace 4e.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I am actually very impressed with the way 5E has managed to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak.

-The Gneech :cool:

I am too. 5e has, so far, turned out better than I thought I had any reason to expect after my disappointment with the direction 4e went. But I'm not answering the question in the poll yet. Too much is still to be explored with 5e for me to declare it my favorite over Pathfinder. Ultimately, since both exist in slightly different, if overlapping, niches, I plan on playing both.

dracomilan

Explorer
The more I play it, the more I love 4e.

Then 2nd edition with its endless flow of kits and late-lifecycle custom classes and player's options. And then comes 3.x, with all its possibilities, so abruptly betrayed when .5 was published (yes, I still resent that day).

Now 5e comes and looks gorgeous, and plays... Meh. Don't know yet, I want to like it but lacks something. Right now it is already on par with 2nd edition, but I need the options in the DMG before it can win me over.

diaglo

Adventurer
OD&D(1974) is the one true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

not one of your choices. thus your poll is invalid.

dbm

Savage!
It's still early days, but 5e is currently my favourite edition. Prior to that it would BECMI for 'official' D&D, or 13th Age if we include Heartbreakers.

I find (so far) that 5e has a good balance of combat complexity and rules transparency when out of combat. It has been, so far, extremely easy to DM.

Elf Witch

First Post
For me the the best edition is 3.5/Pathfinder.

I do enjoy 2E as a break especially if it a Forgotten Realms game.

I don't like 4E at all as for 5E I am not sure until I actually play it but at this point from reading things it is not screaming at me play me.

Remove ads