• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favourite fantasy sub-genre?

What is your favourite sub-genre of fantasy?

• Fairy tale

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Animal

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Arthurian

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Arabian Nights

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Chinoiserie

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Lost race

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Humorous

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Sword and sorcery

Votes: 70 48.6%
  • Heroic

Votes: 41 28.5%

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
One or two important genre you left out:

* MANAPUNK: stuff that blends fantasy and sci-fi. Space Fantasy can fit into this category (Dragonstar definately does), as does steampunk. This is my favorite genrea, being heavily inspired by the Final Fantasy Series. Planescape bleeds a bit into this. Most modern settings with magic and dragons would also be this.

* ANIME FANTASY: Characters are all quirky, there's some humor, some big evil, and there's a few stereotypes, like the Hungry Heroine, or the Absentminded Swordsman, or the Dark Attractive Villian Who May Not Be As Evil As He Seems.

* GOTHIC FANTASY: Dark horror and grit abound. Perfect for angsty folks! :) Ravenloft fits the mold nicely.

* GRITTY FANTASY: The world itself is your enemy. Dark Sun fits the mold nicely. As do most "realistic HP" games where the heroes can die from things that action heroes would *never* die from, but there's still plenty of fantastic action.

* REALISTIC FANTASY: HARN anyone? These super-realistic games revolve around small chance happenings and the supernatural vs. the natural. Often highly detailed, and very logical....a bit light on the heroics, but adventuring is hardly realistic.

Well, my game is mostly Manapunk, with a dash of Gritty thrown in. I only read Humorous. I find it hard to stomach the fact that *I*, an unpaid fan, can write at least as good as the large majority of modern fantasy authors....or that the audience only wants a good writer if it includes pulp schtick they can digest easily (He's an anti-hero! He's a misunderstood outcast! She's a powerful nature-loving sorceress who was once a dork! He's a little boy abused by his family! He's a powerful bookish wizard!).

Not saying you shouldn't like those, just explaining why I don't. :)

For me, the Final Fantasies are my guilty pleasure, somewhat literary in nature. Big epic plots that save the world, blend Sci Fi and Fantasy, introduce high school philosophy that works for the story, and characters sometimes a bit too cliche for their own good, and you've got something I'm willing to spend 40-80 hours reading. :)

mmadsen

First Post
I hate to be The Guy with a Peeve, but "steampunk" only made sense back when it was used to describe works like The Difference Engine, works that combined Victorian steam-age technology and modern cyberpunk information technology. Isn't there a better term for fantasy full of giant clockwork contraptions?

Remove ads