Level Up (A5E) What is your most favorite and least favorite heritage in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition?

Given the number of currently available heritages in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition, it's not too hard to imagine that some of them have become someone's favorite heritage. Their go-to heritage every time they have joined a RPG group (in person or online) and created a character. It's also not too hard to imagine that there are heritages that aren't going to be used by a player during character creation for various reasons.

For me, the Dragonborn is my go-to-heritage. I like to think A5e did a nice job improving what was initially considered to be an underwhelming race in the 5e core rulebook. Right off the bat, you get to choose what kind of Dragonborn you want to be (Chromatic, Essence, Gem, or Metallic), the area-of-effect that your breath weapon takes (line or cone) and it's damage type. And if any of you have read the stats of the two iconic Dragonborn characters for both the Ranger and Marshall classes, you can actually go about describing what your breath weapon looks like. For instance, say you are playing an Earth Essence Dragonborn and your breath is a cone of sand. It could be a cone of heated sand (fire damage), a cone of ionized sand (lightning damage), or even a cone of sand that strips the flesh off of your opponents (acid or necrotic damage). As for this heritage's three gifts, my favorite is Draconic Armor. You get natural weapons, resistance to your chosen damage type (which later becomes an immunity at 10th level) and natural armor (which is very nice if you roll high for your DEX score).

My least favorite heritage in A5e, sad to say, is the Planetouched heritage. IMO, the Aasimar and Tieflings would be better off as their own heritages. If they have to be Gifts, they ought to be ones similar to Pathfinder 2nd Edition's Versatile Heritages. In PF2, if you wanted to be a Human Aasimar or an Elven Aasimar, you pick human or elf as your ancestry. But instead of picking from either ancestry's list of heritages, you pick the Aasimar versatile heritage and gain it's benefits instead. And if you wanted to be a specific kind of Aasimar, you could pick up a lineage feat to show off your celestial ancestry.

So what are your most favorite and least favorite heritages in A5e? And with regards to your least favorite, what would you do to make it better? curious

...didn't you ask about our favourite heritages at the start of the year, lol? well my favourite is still human for the same reason i gave then, and my least favourite is planetouched because they're incredibly boring. i agree with your solution for them.

...didn't you ask about our favourite heritages at the start of the year, lol? well my favourite is still human for the same reason i gave then, and my least favourite is planetouched because they're incredibly boring. i agree with your solution for them.
You're right. I did ask about everyone's favorite heritages. :p Back on April 1st, no joke. :p

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
That answer varies depending on the parameters of the question.

First-Party Content Only:
Favorite:
Orcs. I want to live next to an orcish neighborhood IRL. I love how much their lore has been changed from the D&D baseline and how it's been changed. Making them into passionate creatives is so cool, and opens up a ton of fun possibilities.

Least Favorite: Gnomes, by default and sheer personal preference. I've never been super-excited by playing small-sized characters, and halflings had this position in D&D, but they got the shovel-clawed "badger halfling" options and I think those are especially cool. Nothing wrong with the design of the Level up gnomes, BTW, but someone's got to be last.

Third-Party Content Allowed:
Favorite:
The fey origin centaur variant from the Handbook of Heritages by @Faolyn . For whatever reason, I just really like the idea of a centaur with antlers. I know, it's a silly reason, but she did a great job with the whole book; this is just my goofy preference.

I'm biased as the author, but I liked writing lizardfolk, because of the fun of the 'build your own reptile' mini-game that comes from combining two different gifts. Lizardfolk | Level Up

One of my friends ran an Aztec-esque lizardfolk game, and having a variety of choices for PCs while all being scaly was pretty fun.

For least favorite, I agree planetouched could have been more modular.

Actually, hm, I seem to like modular designs. I did the same sorta thing with Dreamborn, where you can mix and match two things. Dreamborn | Level Up

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases