• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your most trivial house rule?

You can't use a teleport spell unless you have at least some idea of where you are at the moment.

I introduced that rule on a whim, and its had absolutely no effect on the game, but I'm sure it will come back to haunt me some day

glass

(he, him)
You can't search from 10 ft away. It has never come up, because I don't think it has ever occured to my players* that you could.

* I'm not DMing at the moment, so technically I don't have any players...

glass.

Henry

Autoexreginated
None in 3.5, and I had ONE in 3E: Rangers can use their virtual Two-weapon fighting with double-headed weapons as well as two weapons. That was not only my most trivial house rule, it was my ONLY house rule.

It's something that John Tweet said was technically not permissible in the RAW, but he'd allow it if it were him.

GlassJaw

Hero
dice must be rolled on the table and visible for the referee to see.

I have an extension to this rule as well: after you roll, leave the die where it is - do NOT pick it up. Otherwise you will be asked to roll again.

"If you want to cast a summoning spell, you are required to provide pre-printed stats." None of this running critters out of the MM for my players!

This is one of the best house rules ever. I plan to do the same with the more complicated buff spells (like divine power, righteous might, etc). If you don't have your modified stats worked out beforehand, don't even bother memorizing it.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You may draw, load, and fire a light crossbow in a single round, as a special full-round action. If you attempt this and roll a natural 1 on your attack, you have shot yourself in the foot.

The Decipher Script skill is necessary for the translation of heiroglyphs – on top of speaking the language. The average Khemitian is no more able to read heiroglyphs than the average medieval peasant could read the Latin mass. Decipher Script is a class skill for Khemitian priests.

Guess what I'm running?

jRocket

First Post
The only house rule we have is that Hit-point dice are rolled by the player and secretly by the DM. If the player doesn't like his roll, he takes the DM's roll, whatever it is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads