• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your most trivial house rule?

Arc

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Yeah, "no multiclassing penalties" seems to be pretty trivial, as it's really never an issue.

Demiurge out.
Funny thing is, in your campaigns, most of us have been really quite good at avoiding them recently, even if they did exist.

CronoDekar

First Post
Some I have had that I can think of:

1) You don't instantly lose prestige abilities when you lose the prereqs -- it depends (subjectively) on how long you've been without them and how important they are to the class thematically. This has been used -0 times.
2) Weapon Finesse doesn't require +1 BAB.
3) Casters get a bonus Lv0 spell slots equal to their spellcasting mod.

JDragon

Explorer
My one random one is...

Even if your spell casters Concentration check is an auto make for casting on the defensive, you must still say that you are casting on the defensive.

No roll needed just say it, other wise my NPC will take their AoO if they have one available.

Timeboxer

Explorer
My most trivial house rule is: "Your character must be interesting."

This actually did not originate in a D&D game, although I have decided I probably ought to use it when I run D&D. It came from a Nobilis game I was trying to run in which character creation started with a personality and history before doing anything stat-related, and one person said, "I want to play a random college student who doesn't do anything meaningful, has no ambitions in life, and is not interesting in any fashion whatsoever. My character will only be interesting when he has powers."

Then when I created the rule, I received a lot of protests from my players that I was stifling their creative process by insisting that characters be interesting.

The game fell apart pretty fast after that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads