• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your Opinion of GURPS?

Talon5

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Okay, so the consensus is: no points for disads. Got it.

One thing I am thinking about adding--a "Charisma" score, with the deifnition a la D&D. Anyone done that?

Played GURPs for about ten years or so. Special Ops, Modern, Fantasy, Time travel, Dimension Traveling, etc. Loved it, had lots of fun, killed lots of things and had a great time.

Met a few people on line that work for SJG- like Sean Punch, nice guy, easy to talk to, there are a few that I could do without. Sean is cool thou.

As far as a Charisma stat- doesn't need. Cha, Appearance, Voice- are both advantages, they alter Reaction. Hot looking babe = Appearance +2/+6 add Cha +2 and she's likeable as well as hot. :D

As far as the cinematics- our group created a system that would not necassily kill you from every fist fight and it worked for us. Never tried a Doctor Jones camapign, but I know how I would do it using our house rules.

Not to sure how 4e is gonna work as I have not looked into it, but it should be interesting. And more then likely expensive as Heck.

Good luck and have fun :cool:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Certainly a rat isn't so tough, but what are its other stats like? Does it low low HT?

As of 3E, a rat has ST 1, 2 Hit Points, and HT 17.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
There are lots of large but fragile animals in existence, which is why I don't see a connection.

If they are fragile, are they still physically strong?

[
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Sure, but it takes a bigger exposure to pathogens or poisons to debilitate the T-Rex.

Well, I've checked now, and they still have a HT of 15. That's pretty tough. Still, HT is normally something you roll against, and thus you will hardly ever see a creature with more than a HT of 17 (like with rats) - but there are plenty of creatures with dozens of hit points (50-75 in the case of the T-Rex). And these tend to be big and strong.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Personally I think they should split HT into stamina and durability (or something that sounds more scientific than durability).

Stamina = fatigue pool. Durability = hit points. It fits.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
A rat would resist poisons and disease better than a human would, but then again a stomp is still a stomp to a rat.

Remember, any creature is dead when it reaches -5xhit points, or -10 in the case of the rat (-5 if they adjust hit points to the ST 1 of the rat in 4E). Sure, it will probably make its HT rolls until then, but enough damage does kill it pretty easily.

Remember, "surviving damage" is only represented by hit points in d20 - but by hit points and HT in GURPS. It was just that the former was based on the latter in 3E, which lead to some pretty weird results in the case of especially large or small creatures.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I haven't seen evidence that a person who can run for long periods of time is more resistant to pain or death than other people.

Well, if someone suffers massive trauma, I do think it helps if his internal organs function at peak efficiency...

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Jürgen Hubert said:
Well, if someone suffers massive trauma, I do think it helps if his internal organs function at peak efficiency...
As an Surgical/Trauma Intensive Care Unit nurse, I can attest somewhat to this. Typically (there are, of course, exceptions) the healthier a person is before a massive trauma befalls him/her, the better the survival rate. Strength falls a distant second to Health. I see kids, babies, and adults. The fat and slovenly, yet strong, men have a much less chance of survival than, say, a small, physically fit, yet weak when compared to the average male, woman from a similar traumatic event (I see LOTS of MVA and Auto vs. Peds). One can just handle the stress applied to the system after a traumatic event better than the other.

I guess in game terms this would mean that once hit points are depleted (the traumatic event/damage/etc), it's the HT of the person that keeps him/her ticking.

Of course, no matter how healthy the person, some traumas noone survives.

d4

First Post
at the very least, the switch to Hits = Strength and Fatigue = Health greatly simplifies most critter stat blocks.

previously, when Hits = Health and Fatigue = Strength, you'd always see something like a tiny creature with, say, Strength 2, Health 10 which would then "buy down" its Hits to 2 and "buy up" its Fatigue to 10. similarly, a huge creature with Strength 50, Health 15 would be "buying down" its Fatigue to 15 and "buying up" its Hits to 50.

making the switch gets rid of all that useless number-crunching.

and it does make some logical sense, IMO, to have your Fatigue levels based off of your general physical fitness (fit people have more stamina) and your Hits off of Strength, i.e., muscle mass and bulk.

remember that unlike D&D, Hits in GURPS don't represent "attack avoidance" -- they only represent real physical injury. the more muscle mass and bulk a creature has, the more physical injury it can take. one, because each individual wound is injuring a small percentage of the total, and because creatures with more muscle mass have more "stuff" between their vital organs and the outside world trying to hurt them.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
Well, the way I see it, since 4/e DX & IQ cost 20 pts/level and ST & HT cost 10 pts/level, you effectively now have three stats: DX, IQ, & BODY; 20 pts/level each. (With some sort of ad/disad pair--high/low ST--that costs 10 pts./level.) So, which stat FT or HP is based on almost...almost...doesn't really matter so much.

Hmm...shades of TFT...

PA

First Post
Covers poll

There is an official covers poll for GURPS 4th edition: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/poll/

Here's the cover a friend of mine submitted:
gurps1b.jpg

Remove ads