What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
My problem with any M:tG based D&D setting is that Spellcasting works FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENTLY between the systems. Any even semi-accurate model of MtG casting in D&D will break all the rest of the math in the game. Any functional D&D game shoehorns MtG casters including planeswalkers into D&D Pseudo-Vancian casting.

It's just not a good fit.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My problem with any M:tG based D&D setting is that Spellcasting works FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENTLY between the systems. Any even semi-accurate model of MtG casting in D&D will break all the rest of the math in the game. Any functional D&D game shoehorns MtG casters including planeswalkers into D&D Pseudo-Vancian casting.

It's just not a good fit.
I'm fairly sure you won't have to worry about that at all. D&D characters are more like individual creatures in Magic, not Planeswalkers. I believe they have expressed as much and that they changed very little of D&D.

If anything, I'm a little disappointed by how little of magic's mechanics are being brought over. It sounds like they will be ignoring color entirely and subsuming all the guild stuff into backgrounds. I'm beginning to fret whether well even see a lot of interesting new monsters, spells, etc. Seems like missed opportunity to me.

Yaarel

He Mage
Disappointed. I wanted Spelljammer, Darksun, and Greyhawk. If this brings over lots of new players I'll change my mind. D&D always needs new players.

Darksun will come *after* psionics − and it will come.

Note, I also said Eberron will come *after* psionics. And I am still sorta correct. But I was delighted to see a kind of UA-esque approach to the setting, where fans can now participate in shaping the final setting.

I still think Darksun comes after psionics, but surprises can happen at the same time.

gyor

Legend
My group mostly plays Homebrew settings, so the only settings that appeal to me are the ones with nostalgic value from the games of my youth. Both Eberron and Ravnica are passes for me.

From the way Jeremy Described Ravnica book, it will be very useful in generating home brew material, so even without being interested in Ravnica itself the book could have some value to you or your DM.

gyor

Legend
I'm fairly sure you won't have to worry about that at all. D&D characters are more like individual creatures in Magic, not Planeswalkers. I believe they have expressed as much and that they changed very little of D&D.

If anything, I'm a little disappointed by how little of magic's mechanics are being brought over. It sounds like they will be ignoring color entirely and subsuming all the guild stuff into backgrounds. I'm beginning to fret whether well even see a lot of interesting new monsters, spells, etc. Seems like missed opportunity to me.

They haven't mentioned spells or not, but Jeremy said they are bringing nearly as many new monsters as MTOFs.

jgsugden

Legend
This has been on the way for over 20 years. Anyone exhibiting shock or disappointment is just not paying attention... this was a foregone conclusion the moment we had our first Plane Shift / Planeswalker article.

I'd have rather had a great Sigil/Spelljammer/Planescape product, but I am sure I'll get some value out of this one.

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
I find it funny I have no clue what darksun or ebbron etc etc. Was not part of my d&d culture. I came from d&d and 1e. Almost everything was custom dungeon crawls and a few generic canned campaigns. I have no d&d lore attachment absolute zero.

I play mtg have no clue about lore or world's the only thing I care about is Mana cost monster stat blocks color mechanics like double strike lore who cares.

Weird the old guy who played d&d while over 34 years ago did not have kids get off my lawn over the setting coming out.

pogre

Legend
Neutral. However, in fairness, settings books of any kind are fairly low interest to me. Cannot get that fired up either way.

the Jester

Legend
I mean, I guess it sounds like a cool setting. But I'd much rather see the return of Planescape, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, or the Nentir Vale.

Remove ads