What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
About time we got a setting that wasn't picking over previous editions. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.

Ravnica isn't really my jam, thematically speaking; I like lonely wilderness, crumbling empires, heroes rising from the ruins of lost kingdoms, and slow-rolling apocalypse.

Same here. I love the look of Zendikar, Innistad and Ixalan, while Kaladesh left me cold. I’ve not run an adventure (let alone a campaign) in an urban setting, keeping track of all the NPCs seems like it could be a challenge given that they’re all relatively present at all times. I can imagine the players saying let’s go and check in with so-and-so who hasn’t been seen in weeks and you’ve got to remember how to role-play them. :)

I’ve not run an adventure (let alone a campaign) in an urban setting, keeping track of all the NPCs seems like it could be a challenge given that they’re all relatively present at all times. I can imagine the players saying let’s go and check in with so-and-so who hasn’t been seen in weeks and you’ve got to remember how to role-play them. :)

I recommend giving it a whirl. :) Some of the most fun, and definitely the most character-focused and RP-intensive campaigns I've ever run have been urban. And that's partly because of the recurring cast of characters, the PCs' involvement in various institutions, etc. As long as you keep some basic notes of who all the NPCs are--I mean, just a sentence or two--it's not usually too hard to get back into them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I say excited.

I played MtG a bit back in the day, and while ultimately I decided it wasn't for me, the setting I remember the most and thought was the most intriguing was Ravnika. This thing has dept, and can stand on it own outside of MtG.

I'm not very excited because... well I won't have time to run it :/

flametitan

Explorer
I voted disappointed, but I'm somewhere between that and neutral.

Neutral for the setting itself, disappointed that for now the spelljammer teasers are currently just references and nods instead of foreshadowing. Does it hint towards Spelljammer stuff in the future? Maybe; but it's not something I'm gonna hold my breath on.

Which makes the furor around this seem really strange. I mean, folks, it's a setting. Use it. Don't use it. It is a game book. It isn't worth the drama.

It is because some people around here, and elsewhere on the internet, are absolutely, positively sure that every other classic D&D setting got pushed back on the production schedule because of the release of Ravnica, when this is not true. The people who worked on this may be WotC employees, but they are not D&D employees. James Wyatt and the others were brought in to design and write this.

Olive

Explorer
I called myself neutral. I have not followed or played M:tG for many years now. I don't know what Ravnica is, nor does this make me curious about it.

I am not disappointed. I wasn't looking for a new setting from them. Do one, or not, makes no difference to me. Someone may like it, and that's okay.

Which makes the furor around this seem really strange. I mean, folks, it's a setting. Use it. Don't use it. It is a game book. It isn't worth the drama.

100% this. I could care less but if people are happy, great! And if it brings Magic people into D&D I figure that's good too. Also, I enjoy the other 5e books even though my interest in FR is pretty much nill so I might get soemthign out of this too.

Dispater

Explorer
I will probably browse the book at my game store but refrain from buying it. I have played MtG but I have no interest in the setting asa D&D reincarnation. Something to do with that its essentially a glorified card game. I like Rpg settings to spring out of original works, not spinoffs, so im voting a big NO with my money.

delericho

Legend
Meh.

If they hadn't announced Eberron at the same time, I'd be disappointed. But they did, so... (And I'm happy with the Eberron announcement.)

I'm disappointed but open to being moved towards "excited."

I wanted either a new setting designed for 5e assumptions or pretty much any classic DnD setting instead of an out-of-left-field move like this. The thing for me is that MtG has a completely different, and unique, magic system that's not directly compatible with DnD. It has different races, assumptions, planeswalkers, etc, that become a mish-mash if you start cramming them together with all the rest of the existing dungeons and dragons world.

It reminds me of when I saw Hasbro come out with Star Wars Transformer figures that literally looked like Boba Fett, Darth Vader, et al, turning into spaceships. Its cool to have a Star Wars line with new stuff and it's cool to have a new generation of Transformers, but when you mash them together, something's got to give. Something about this setting is going to be Procrustean. You're going to have to chop some DnD off at the knees and some MtG off at the elbows to make them fit in this new box together, and that proposition is more disappointing to me that what they could have done if they had just made something grow directly out of the 5e core. Han Solo loses some of his aesthetic if his body is also expected to turn into the Millennium Falcon.

On the positive side, I'd love of a setting filled to the brim with magitech. I'd prefer Eberron, but if we can get a magic gun-wielding artificer, magitech items, and a host of magitech subclasses, I'll at least be hyped to loot all of the toys the setting includes.

Remove ads