What is your way for doing Initiative?

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I know the presented system is to roll Initiative as a Dexterity check and then go in the established order every round. I find it predictable and boring and subject to abuse so we use the individual checks and re-roll from round to round. We also changed from a d20 to a d6, with bonuses to Initiative coming if your Dexterity, Intelligence, or Wisdom modifier is +3 or higher and Alert adding another +1. Other rules have been altered to fit this system and the players love it.

What do you use?

Satyrn

First Post
The system as written.

For a while we were doing a group initiative, where the Players got their turn and then the DM took his. On the Players turn, each character acted in whatever order the players wanted, switching it up each round however they pleased. Obviously, it optimised their actions (so the guy with Shield Master would go before anybody else attacking the same foe) and that was the draw that made the system fun. Plus, it meant I never had to track initiative order as DM.

cmad1977

Hero
As written. I break up the enemies into small groups to keep it easy. So if there are 9 skeletons I roll initiative for 3 groups of 3.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Everyone rolls as normal. Then I as the DM call out “anyone higher than X (where X=monsters initiative) can go.” Then i go on the monsters turn. Then I say everyone else can go.

I know that technically it could have issues about how things end on various turns, but it’s never been a noticeable problem. And it’s much faster. And it allows the players to have a bit more freedom and creativity, which they like.

pukunui

Legend
I tried using passive initiative, but that got boringly predictable after a while, so I switched back to using the default rule of rolling once and leaving it for the rest of the combat.

I do find other methods -- such as rerolling every round and speed factor initiative -- in theory, but they just seem like they would be too much bother and slow things down too much in actual play.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

So far then you guys are using only one roll for the entire encounter and simply repeating the order every round?

pukunui

Legend
So far then you guys are using only one roll for the entire encounter and simply repeating the order every round?
Yes. As I said, rerolling every round sounds cool on paper but would just slow things down too much for my taste at the table - not just because of all the extra rolling but also because it would make it harder to keep track of spell / condition durations.

We do Dex check for every PC and NPC and reroll every round.

Yes. As I said, rerolling every round sounds cool on paper but would just slow things down too much for my taste at the table - not just because of all the extra rolling but also because it would make it harder to keep track of spell / condition durations.
YEa, on paper it would such doing it our way. But, we use FG and so it's simple. It also does a really good job of keeping everyone engaged. because you never know how long until you act again so you almost always have to be ready.

Yup

There are so many End of Your Turn, Start of their turn etc etc etc...that changing init round by round breaks a lot.
Not for us. Again, we let FG handle all the that. Things (effects) just expire on the initiative number of when they were cast or began. Sure, this means that if you cast a spell on a low init number it the next round everyone rolls high it doesn't affect as many creatures, but over time it averages out and it adds more chaos to combat. And since we are using FG, it adds no bookkeeping or difficulty.

5ekyu

Hero
We do Dex check for every PC and NPC and reroll every round.

YEa, on paper it would such doing it our way. But, we use FG and so it's simple. It also does a really good job of keeping everyone engaged. because you never know how long until you act again so you almost always have to be ready.

Not for us. Again, we let FG handle all the that. Things (effects) just expire on the initiative number of when they were cast or began. Sure, this means that if you cast a spell on a low init number it the next round everyone rolls high it doesn't affect as many creatures, but over time it averages out and it adds more chaos to combat. And since we are using FG, it adds no bookkeeping or difficulty.
Yes, you have to fabricate additional house rules and deal with chances dpells and effects might be utterly useless or doubly effective - not something we see as adds.

We used floating init for like two sessions before tossing it cuz of so many unreasonable outcomes.

Remove ads