What is your way for doing Initiative?

cmad1977

Hero
If players can abuse the initiative system the issue isn’t with the initiative system it’s with the game one is running. Player abuse isn’t a system issue. It’s a DM issue.

5ekyu

Hero
If players can abuse the initiative system the issue isn’t with the initiative system it’s with the game one is running. Player abuse isn’t a system issue. It’s a DM issue.
My last GM considered my sorc casting firebolt an abuse... cuz he did not like cantrips being used to attack folks every round...

He even talked about putting in some delays or random recharges so it wouldn't be as reliable or predictable.

That was at 1st thru 3rd. I figured he might actually explode when at 3rd I got meta-magic plus second level spells. That did not happen, but the game did fold during 3rd when he dropped it.

jasper

Rotten DM
The system as written.

For a while we were doing a group initiative, where the Players got their turn and then the DM took his. On the Players turn, each character acted in whatever order the players wanted, switching it up each round however they pleased. Obviously, it optimised their actions (so the guy with Shield Master would go before anybody else attacking the same foe) and that was the draw that made the system fun. Plus, it meant I never had to track initiative order as DM.
I use a similar system with roll over monsters. 6 PC 5th level 1 vs. Orc with Pie. Maybe the orc gets lucky and the rest of the table laughs at Satyrn Sorcerer as he wipes Split Pea Pie off his face. Maybe not.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Actually as far as monster initiative I never tell the PCs what the monsters rolled, they have to track it on their own. If have a bunch of creatures I don't even roll sometimes, I just spread them out throughout the combat

Remove ads