D&D 5E What kind of XP awards does your group currently use in 5E?

What kind of XP awards/advancement do you use in your 5E D&D game?

• Monsters killed (straight up)

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Milestone (as described in DMG)

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monsters killed, but granted at Milestones

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Session-Based Advancement (as described in DMG)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Story-Based Advancement (as described in DMG)

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Something else or variation on one of the above (please explain below)

Votes: 24 34.3%

Oofta

Legend
Like I said, I think most people don’t need XP awards to enjoy the game, but the benefit they have, while subtle, is significant. The difference it makes isn’t obvious like getting rid of bookkeeping is, so it doesn’t surprise me at all that players might appreciate the lack of bookkeeping and not consciously appreciate the lack of progress as a direct reward for their actions. And hey, if it works for your group, how much that difference actually matters is pretty academic. Keep doing what’s fun for you!

I have tried other ways, and they have their own benefits and drawbacks. I use the method I do because I think it creates the best player experience overall. YMMV.

If they have significant benefit for you and your group, you're doing it right. Just saying that not everyone would agree. Then again, I don't even give specific numbers for individual treasure found, I just let everyone know at the end of the session or after the game if I need to. At first some people found it odd, but now they don't even bat an eye.

Which is one of the strengths of D&D IMHO, each table can implement what works for them. Vive la difference!

Oofta

Legend
It only let me choose one, but we give immediate XP for monsters killed/conquered. We also give XP, though, for information gathered/quests accomplished.

TBH XP feels artificial to me nowadays, the reason I want PCs to level is so we can tell different parts of the story.

But while there are concrete rules for XP for defeating monsters, how do you decide to reward XP for non-combat? That always felt artificial to me.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
TBH XP feels artificial to me nowadays, the reason I want PCs to level is so we can tell different parts of the story.

But while there are concrete rules for XP for defeating monsters, how do you decide to reward XP for non-combat? That always felt artificial to me.

I mean all these numbers are ultimately arbitrary no matter how they are determined, but for me I would very simple say - is this obstacle a fair challenge for a group of 4th level characters? Then I will award XP for CR4 monster.

When I'm awarding XP according to combat and social interaction, I award XP immediately after the challenge is resolved and, if character advancement is indicated, the player may level up the character right then and there.
This. Although I have a house rule that if the player isn't ready with their updates, we only roll for hit points and they have to wait for the next session or a break to get the rest of their upgrade. They should know when they are about to level.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It only let me choose one, but we give immediate XP for monsters killed/conquered. We also give XP, though, for information gathered/quests accomplished.

I purposefully made it so that people had to choose their preferred one if they used multiple methods with different groups or "Other" if no one fit.

So you give XP during sessions AND after longer term goals like accomplishing a quest. Sounds like other, I guess. :)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This. Although I have a house rule that if the player isn't ready with their updates, we only roll for hit points and they have to wait for the next session or a break to get the rest of their upgrade. They should know when they are about to level.
Yeah, one of the opening topics of conversation when we're preparing to play is "Who is close to leveling?" Then players say how close they are. That gets them thinking about what to choose when they do level up so that it's seamless during play.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If the xp come from your actions (as a direct result), it's setting the tone. Because even "you get xp for taking actions" is setting the tone in the sense of "I expect active play, and not passive play." The only way for xp rewards to not influence tone is for them to happen regardless not only of what actions you take, but whether you take actions at all.
Right. This is basically just a different way of phrasing the same thing I said.

If setting the tone can be a negative (as @Voadam so eloquently explained), then awarding xp for actions can be a net negative.
Agreed.

And if the choice of what you do is irrelevant, including whether or not to do anything, it becomes less meaningful than a participation trophy. It can even feel like a waste of tie and energy to note it down. That might seem like an extreme case, but it also seems to be the experience of quite a few people.
The choice of what you do, including whether or not you do anything, is only irrelevant in the case of session-based advancement. XP-based advancement ties advancement to specific actions in-game, so what you do is intrinsically relevant. That is, in my opinion, the primary benefit of XP. Granted, if tying advancement to specific action (which as a side-effect, sets a tone) is a negative for you, then session-based advancement will probably appeal to you more.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If they have significant benefit for you and your group, you're doing it right. Just saying that not everyone would agree. Then again, I don't even give specific numbers for individual treasure found, I just let everyone know at the end of the session or after the game if I need to. At first some people found it odd, but now they don't even bat an eye.

Which is one of the strengths of D&D IMHO, each table can implement what works for them. Vive la difference!
For sure!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The choice of what you do, including whether or not you do anything, is only irrelevant in the case of session-based advancement. XP-based advancement ties advancement to specific actions in-game, so what you do is intrinsically relevant. That is, in my opinion, the primary benefit of XP. Granted, if tying advancement to specific action (which as a side-effect, sets a tone) is a negative for you, then session-based advancement will probably appeal to you more.
Yep. You ain't getting XP for shopping in my game. Which is why we don't see much of that at all.

Remove ads