What Knowledge Covers Werewolves?

Drew

Explorer
Ok, werewolves (and other lycanthropes) are humanoids or giants. PCs making a Knowledge check to know how to overcome their DR would make a check using Local if the creature is a humanoid, and Nature if it is a giant. Am I correct?

Does this strike anybody as kind of goofy? Lycanthropy is a magical disease. How the heck is Knowledge Local the logical skill here? And its different if the creature is a giant?

"How do hurt a werebear?" -PC
"Is it a human or a giant?" -Sage
"Its a human." -PC
"I have no idea." -Sage
"What if it were a hill giant?" -PC
"Then I'd suggest silver." -Sage

Huh. Better suggestions anyone?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Clearly, when the rule was implemented, they were thinking of humanoids as simply people in the area, and thus would logically fall into Local Knowledge.

I would suggest using Knowledg(Nature), which covers fey and monstrous humanoids, which are the closest parallels.

None of the other categories really apply. And no, lycanthropy isn't arcane - it can't be dispelled.

phindar

First Post
I'd say its type is Shapechanger, and its covered by Knowledge: Arcana. I mean, its doesn't really matter what the base creature is, its the template that matters. That said, I'd consider DR silver for lycanthropes to be common knowledge.

Edit: Slipped in on me, der. I'd say its arcane because its listed as a "magical disease".

Sejs

First Post
Knowledge (Nature) seems appropriate.

It's a semi-natural, animal related, lunar affected, shapechanger. In the end it's not the humans or the giants affected by lycanthropy that you're interested in.. it's the abilities of lycanthropes in particular. And that seems naturey due to the animal factor.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Knowledge Skills are based upon Creature type, not subtype.

Look up Lycanthropes and you will see their Creature types are Humanoid (subtype of Human & Shapeshifter). The only debate is if their original subtype differs from human. They are not monstrous humanoid.

Knowledge Local by definition covers Humanoids according to the PHB.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Knowledge (nature) is clearly the skill to identify lycanthropes and most other monsters as well.

Knowledge (local) is for humans (local sentients) and issues of human society, though stories of lycanthropes could be learned in a session of Knowledge (local)

Knowledge (arcana) are for spells, spell-like effects, magic items, magical auras, however not for magical creatures that is knowledge (nature) or knowledge (planes) for outsider races.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Knowledge (nature) is clearly the skill to identify lycanthropes and most other monsters as well.

Knowledge (local) is for humans (local sentients) and issues of human society, though stories of lycanthropes could be learned in a session of Knowledge (local)

Knowledge (arcana) are for spells, spell-like effects, magic items, magical auras, however not for magical creatures that is knowledge (nature) or knowledge (planes) for outsider races.
Do you have a source in the rules to support your claim?

D&D 3.5 Ed (which is what I gathered this conversation was about from the initial context) and Pathfinder are quite clear. Humanoid Creature Types fall under Knowledge Local. Monstrous Humanoid is a different Creature Type and is covered by Knowledge Nature.

Werewolves are not Monstrous Humanoids according to their entry in the Monster Manual.

Perhaps you should read what things each Knowledge Skill covers: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Knowledge_Skill

delericho

Legend
The 'correct' answer, per the RAW, is Knowledge(local) for human lycanthropes and Knowledge(nature) for giant lycanthropes. As perrinmiller notes, the fields for the knowledge skills are based on the creature type and not the subtype.

That said, in this case I would be inclined to either allow a character to use either skill (because the knowledge of the lycanthrope 'part' is the same for both), or to pick a knowledge skill for all lycanthropes (where my choice would be nature). But neither of these is strictly RAW.

Remove ads