D&D 5E What level do you typically start at for a new campaign?

What level do you typically start at for a new campaign?

• 1. Zero to hero baby!

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • 2. Need some added survivability

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 3. Start with the subclasses

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • 4-5

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-15

• 16-19

• 20. End game content is for me

• Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would start at 1st level if everyone had their subclasses from level 1, as is, I find 3rd level better as every single classed character at least will be able to start with the abilities that define the character they want to play (such as spells for an eldritch knight).

Shiroiken

Legend
Unless I'm running an AP or have a brand new player, I like to start at level 3, because all the characters have their subclasses, which is a primary defining feature. With an AP, I use whatever the adventure suggests, which IIRC they all start at 1. New players should always learn the game from level 1 IMO, as it allows them to see the game's progression.

oreofox

Explorer
I prefer to start at level 1, both as a player and as a DM. Personally, I find it easier to make a connection with the characters when you start at 1st level.

I'll be starting a new campaign soonish (if I can get the motivation), and the PCs will be starting at 1st. I'm planning on trying out having everyone's subclasses take effect at 1st level.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I prefer starting at one, and having rapid advancement until 5th. I think a party that levels together instead of just getting built at higher levels works really well, and players get to know their characters.

Unfortunately the group I most play with right now has a habit of playing a campaign until mid tier 2 and then ending it. And the rest of the players want to see higher levels so they keep pushing for higher level creation.

We created 9th level characters and it was cool that they were powerful, but the previous characters who were 7th and had grown there together were a better group. In the end we ended up scrapping the 9th level group and picking back up a previous campaign were we were Tier 1 and that's going nicely, we've since gotten up to 6th.

atanakar

Hero
I usually let the players start at level 3 with subclasses. I also did that with d20 Modern because I felt the starting classes were too generic.

If I wanted to do a zero to hero campaign, I would start the characters at level 0, not level 1. An individual session with each before they start training in their chosen class.

Nebulous

Legend
I love starting my campaigns at first level. There is a much better level of fear and frustration which pays off as the characters get more powerful.
I also love low level play. I do give them a few bonus hit points though at 1st level so they're not quite so squishy.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Most of the games I've played in have started in the 2-5 range, although my last two campaigns have started at higher levels (8 & 9). So I averaged it out to 4-5.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
When I DM, I start just out of the "apprentice" tier. That's level 3 in 5e.

I just can't comprehend pure newbies adventuring. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You don't send the rookie cops to find the Hash Slinging Strangler.

Oofta

Legend
When I DM, I start just out of the "apprentice" tier. That's level 3 in 5e.

I just can't comprehend pure newbies adventuring. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You don't send the rookie cops to find the Hash Slinging Strangler.
Then you'd probably hate it when I start campaigns with PCs that are level 0 kids then.

Personally I think it's fun, and yes the biggest threat is Ol' Jim's junkyard dog but it's not for everyone.

the Jester

Legend
As the title says. Four points of clarification.

1. What you typically start at. Everyone might have a one off here or there. But this is what is for the most common level your PCs in your group start at when beginning a new campaign

Everyone starts at first level in my campaign.

2. This is not for one off adventures or smaller modules, but for campaigns.

I don't do many one-offs, but they are the exception.

3. This does not include introducing new PCs into an existing campaign.

No, really- EVERYONE starts at first level. I don't care what level the other pcs are. 5e really has gone back to mechanics that enable mixed-level play, specifically with bounded accuracy vs. the "per-level-badass-bonus" that 3e and 4e used (base attack bonus, half your level, whatever- it played out the same in terms of making mixed level play untenable).

If a group is high enough level and going on a high level adventure that one player doesn't have a pc for, I might run a secondary group for a few levels, to let them build their character up a few levels first. But that's still starting at first level.

Remove ads