D&D 5E What level do you typically start at for a new campaign?

What level do you typically start at for a new campaign?

• 1. Zero to hero baby!

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • 2. Need some added survivability

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 3. Start with the subclasses

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • 4-5

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 6-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-15

• 16-19

• 20. End game content is for me

• Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
As the title says. Four points of clarification.

1. What you typically start at. Everyone might have a one off here or there. But this is what is for the most common level your PCs in your group start at when beginning a new campaign
2. This is not for one off adventures or smaller modules, but for campaigns.
3. This does not include introducing new PCs into an existing campaign.
4. If you DM a lot, this is for what you have the other players start at. If you are mostly a player, this is for what level you typically start at for the whole group.
Anywhere from one to five. Probably one most often, but three is right up there with it. This goes for both when I DM and when I'm playing, pretty much.

S'mon

Legend
Lemme see, my 5e campaigns so far:

Wilderlands/Barbarian Altanis - 1st
Runelords of the Shattered Star - 1st
Princes of the Apocalypse - 1st
Primeval Thule - 1st

Pretty consistent! I ran Nentir Vale 4e D&D from 1st; Curse of the Crimson Throne in Pathfinder starting at 2nd; Loudwater 4e D&D from 1st, Vault of Larin Karr 4e D&D from 1st, Punjar Saga 4e 1st; Willow Vale 3e D&D 1st. I nearly always start at 1st.

slobster

Hero
Then you'd probably hate it when I start campaigns with PCs that are level 0 kids then.

Personally I think it's fun, and yes the biggest threat is Ol' Jim's junkyard dog but it's not for everyone.
Who would start a story with some yokel from a moisture farm shooting womp rats or a gardener sneaking around his buddy's window to listen to an old man ramble about history by the fireplace? Sounds like a terrible campaign.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Then you'd probably hate it when I start campaigns with PCs that are level 0 kids then.

Personally I think it's fun, and yes the biggest threat is Ol' Jim's junkyard dog but it's not for everyone.

I don't think I could take a table with level 0 warlocks as edgy kids.

Remove ads