What makes a controller a controller?

knightofround

First Post
Lately I've been taking my own stab at making a Martial Controller, and the biggest thing I'm struggling with is figuring out how to make the class "feel" like a controller.

I've written up a list of controller attributes, please speak up if you see something missing or if one attribute has much greater/less importance than the others.

1. Multi target attack powers are low damage, but have large areas of effect
2. Single target attack powers are low damage, but often inflict status ailments, forced movement, "until end of turn", or "save ends" effects
3. Attack powers are usually far-ranged (10+ squares)
4. Very powerful utility compared to other classes
5. Can create zones or alter terrain for encounter duration
6. Powers often force the enemy to do things they'd otherwise rather not do (exit a zone, provoke an OA, attack a particular target, etc). As such they are often keyed to "end of enemy's turn" instead of "start of enemy's turn".
7. Stats are fragile, low HP/defenses/healing surges

webrunner

First Post
A controller usually has buttons on one half, and a directional control on the other, but may also have buttons on the top, and up to two additional directional controls, as well as some sort of motion tracking.

Zaran

Adventurer
Lately I've been taking my own stab at making a Martial Controller, and the biggest thing I'm struggling with is figuring out how to make the class "feel" like a controller.

I've written up a list of controller attributes, please speak up if you see something missing or if one attribute has much greater/less importance than the others.

1. Multi target attack powers are low damage, but have large areas of effect
2. Single target attack powers are low damage, but often inflict status ailments, forced movement, "until end of turn", or "save ends" effects
3. Attack powers are usually far-ranged (10+ squares)
4. Very powerful utility compared to other classes
5. Can create zones or alter terrain for encounter duration
6. Powers often force the enemy to do things they'd otherwise rather not do (exit a zone, provoke an OA, attack a particular target, etc). As such they are often keyed to "end of enemy's turn" instead of "start of enemy's turn".
7. Stats are fragile, low HP/defenses/healing surges

I think a Martial Controller would have 1,2, 4 and 6. The others are probably more of a class specific ideal.

mneme

Explorer
1,2,4,6 feels like a dragon-punch style move to me -- sort of a flat Z. Pretty martial (and controller -- well, good anti-air attack, anyway), sure.

(note: understanding this reply might involve knowing too much about fighting games for your own good; at least the 1-9 directional scheme and a bit of Street Fighter).

mkill

Adventurer
As for 7, I don't think a Controller necessarily has to be fragile. Compare strikers, where you have both the glass cannon sorcerer and the buff barbarian. It's more a question of melee vs. ranged, secondary role, other strengths etc.

I'd like to add a point:

8. Flexibility - While other roles can be expected to do their shtick in the same way in most encounters, a controller has to be able to adjust his tactics to the terrain, the number of enemies, the power level of the opposition, the current positioning, enemy immunities, enemy mobility etc.
It helps to have powers with a wide variety of effects, or even the ability to switch powers.

The controller is also the role with the widest array of tactics. He can, among others...

* Prevent enemy focus fire / attacks against certain allies
* Hinder or force enemy movement
* Make a square / position / formation dangerous
* Disrupt line of sight / line of effect

* Debuff enemy attacks
* Prevent enemy actions / attacks
* Make enemies easier to attack

Preventing enemy movement and the buff / debuff overlaps with defender and leader somewhat.

The main difference between controller and defender is that the defender creates a frontline and controls enemies in his immediate vicinity. The controller shapes the whole battlefield at range. The second difference is that while the defender tries to draw enemy attacks on himself, the controller needs protection from his allies.

The main difference between leader and controller is that the leader empowers allies while the controller hinders enemies.

The main difference between striker and controller is that the striker does high damage against a single target, while the controller spreads a similar amount of damage among several targets.

Herschel

Adventurer
The fighter is a martial controller. His marking mechanism and powers make him so. For a ranged version I would probably use a lot of slow and imobilize effects and named powers like "Hamstring Shot", "Wall of Arrows", "Foot Impaler" and "Rain of Caltrops".

knightofround

First Post
The fighter is a martial controller. His marking mechanism and powers make him so. For a ranged version I would probably use a lot of slow and imobilize effects and named powers like "Hamstring Shot", "Wall of Arrows", "Foot Impaler" and "Rain of Caltrops".

I can see understand where you are coming from, thinking of a mark as "control", but if that's the case then aren't all defenders controllers?

Then what is distinctly "defender" but not "controller"? I think mkill laid it out pretty good above, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
I can see understand where you are coming from, thinking of a mark as "control", but if that's the case then aren't all defenders controllers?

Then what is distinctly "defender" but not "controller"?

All classes have 'control.' Some capacity to prevent or hinder the abilities and aims of the opposition. A striker might have control to hinder a hard target, so that while it's not dead, it's less able to fight back. A leader might have control that causes a monster to move to a disadvantageous position, or so that the leader's allies take less damage or deal more.

On top of this, defenders also have control by necessity, controlling monsters' movement and targetting is precisely what they are about.

However, controlling one aspect of the game and controlling the game are not the same concept.

The fighter controls movement and targetting in an area consisting of approximately 8 squares that are adjacent to him. A wizard controls whatever aspects of the game he's decided works best in an area consisting of whatever his spells can reach, generally up to 10 squares away, for a total of 99 squares.

It isn't just the ability to control one thing, it's the ability to be flexible and control whatever aspect of the game your party might have trouble with that makes a controller what he is.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I can see 2 types of Martial Controllers. A Ranged Archer and/or A very Mobile Melee.

I would make the primary state requirement Int and Dex for the Archer, and Int and Str for Melee.

If you choose the Archer, you get the benefit of +1 unnamed bonus to Attacks with Ranged weapons.

If you choose the Melee, you get the benefit of +1 to AC for every square you move on your turn up to a maximum bonus of your speed, if you are wearing light armour (nothing heavier than hide).

Archer At-Will

Leg Shot
Archer Attack 1
You take aim at the opponent’s leg, knowing where to hit.
At-Will + Martial
Standard Action
Ranged 10
Target: One Creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is Slowed until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

Multi-Shot
Archer Attack 1
You load multiple ammunitions, knowing you could hit each target in the head.
At-Will + Martial
Standard Action
Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you daze the target until the end of your next turn.

Melee At-Will

Pawns Manoeuvre
Melee Attack 1
You attack like a Pawn on the chess board.
At-Will + Martial
Standard Action
Melee
Target: One Creature
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, you shift to the square the creature occupied and slide the target to a square adjacent to you.

Rooks Manoeuvre
Melee Attack 1
You Charge into the fray, pushing the opponents back
At-Will + Martial
Standard Action
Close blast 2
Target: Each creature in blast
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier.
Special: This power counts as a Melee basic attack. When a power allows you to make a melee basic attack, you can use this power.

I'ld need more time to think about these.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Defenders have things that encourage enemies to attack them.

A Martial controller has two viable paths, only one of which appeals to me.

1) A "bursty" controller that uses "hails of arrows" and "wide swaths affected by a whip", or "sweeping blasts from my polearm". I'm not a big fan of this one.

2) A close in, adjacent and blast 2 focused tripping/shoving, sweeping controller. This I the one I like and am pissed off they didn't use this as the Dark SUn Gladiator.

3) The third "martial" controller people try to mention is a grenadier or gadgeteer. I just don't see that as martial. Great for the Steampunk power source though. ;-)

Remove ads