D&D General What makes D&D feel like D&D?

Which of the following elements are part of D&D's "feel" to you?

• Using multiple types of dice

Votes: 93 70.5%
  • Ability scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

Votes: 115 87.1%
  • Distinct character races/lineages

Votes: 77 58.3%
  • Distinct character classes

• Alignment

Votes: 60 45.5%
  • Backgrounds

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Multiclassing

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • Feats

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Proficiencies

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Levels

• Experience points

Votes: 67 50.8%
  • Hit points

Votes: 108 81.8%
  • Hit dice

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Armor Class

Votes: 97 73.5%
  • Lists of specific equipment

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Saving throws

Votes: 88 66.7%
  • Surprise

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Initiative

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Damage types

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Lists of specific spells

Votes: 65 49.2%
  • Conditions

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Deities

Votes: 22 16.7%
  • Great Wheel cosmology

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • World Axis cosmology

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Creature types

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Challenge ratings

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Lists of specific magic items

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • Advantage/disadvantage

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 9 6.8%

• Poll closed .

pming

Legend
Hiya!

When I read that I IMMEDIATELY thought of the cover to B/X (by Erol Otis), then the pictures of Morgan Ironwolf (page B20), then the pic of the huge snake in the dungeon coming around the corner (B53), then the Fighter talking to the two halflings (X6) and finally, the Magic-User casting Disintegrate on that poor dragon! (X18). Next.. blue dungeon and wilderness maps. Then Wandering Monster Tables.

Then I read the list and the 'rules' part came flooding in; Dice, Levels, XP, HP, AC, Saves, 'blue dungeon maps', and Wandering Monster Tables. I also realized you, the OP, was talking about 5e. WHUPS! Well, to an old fart like me, who's been doing this "silly little board game", as it was known back in the early 80's, to me, "D&D is the B/X rule books produced in '80.

The rules I listed, and the black and white art. THAT is what D&D is to me. That's all I need...you can keep your full-colour 'pro' cookie-cutter art, your expensive full-colour rule books, and your overly detailed and colourful maps. ;)

PS: That's what I prefer...I still 'like' the new colourful stuff, but it's not even close to the same 'vibe' I get when I flip through the B/X books, Keep on the Borderlands, Castle Amber, etc. New stuff... "Huh. That looks cool". Old stuff... "WOW! I want to PLAY RIGHT NOW and GO SEE WHAT'S THERE!". 😄

^_^

Paul L. Ming

While I’m sure I might have voted differently on one or two based on mood, I was surprised at how easy it was to go right down the line and check boxes without having to consider.

Ability scores
Races/lineages
Classes
Alignment
Levels
XP
HP
AC
Saving Throws
Initiative
Spell lists
Deities
Great Wheel
Creature types
Specific magic items

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Then I read the list and the 'rules' part came flooding in; Dice, Levels, XP, HP, AC, Saves, 'blue dungeon maps', and Wandering Monster Tables.
You're right that, other than the idea of using multiple types of dice, it is a rather rules-based list.

A non-rules-based list would be tougher to define, though. What would go on it? 'Bout all I can think of is

Hexcrawls
Mapping and exploration
Medieval/classical/renaissance era and conceits as a general backdrop to the setting
A DM, behind a screen of some sort

I also realized you, the OP, was talking about 5e.
Which in this case doesn't really matter, as most of the poll options are quite edition-agnostic.

Race, Class, Level

When I think of D&D, I think of playing as a Dwarven Paladin, an Elf Ranger, or a Gnome Illusionist. I forget the exact ability scores and other stats my characters had, and even what polyhedral dice I used at any given time, although I do remember special magic items, quirky spells, and lucky rolls on critical hits and saving throws.

To me, the absolute core of the game, its most important and defining features, are races and classes, with classes that advance by level. Whether you play a dungeon crawl, hexcrawl, or high fantasy epic, it still feels like D&D if it has races and classes.

Those are probably the features that are also guaranteed to stick around for the long haul, because WotC can always make more money selling new races and classes, even if it tweaks or completely changes other rules. It also makes the game accessible to new players when you can build the basis of an interesting character with just two simple decisions, and with advancement being just one number.

akr71

Hero
I was going to vote for Experience Points but then remembered we stopped using XP a while ago. When we are doing sandboxy type stuff, I keep a rough record, but more to make sure we are getting in the neighborhood of the next level

Remove ads