What makes for an interesting adventure?

I would like to DM at some point. I just feel that with my current ideas, I may end making something that is boring in the same way that many RPG Maker games tend to feel flat or fairly linear..
If you guys wouldn't mind, could you share some of your opinions and maybe a few of your tales?

Thank You.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Adventures are interesting if the players are interested in the outcome(s) and the path to get there, feel like they make meaningful choices, and there is real risk and real rewards.

Let me unpack that:

"Players are interested in the outcome(s)..." This is a core bit, and can vary greatly from table to table and within players at the same table. For one player, it could be advancing their character's goals. Another just wants to see their character advance and succeed. Another is running a paladin and as long as they are fighting justice they are happy. Other players like unraveling the large campaign arcs. Either way, what meta-hooks will keep your players interested in the outcome.

"...and the path to get there...": I've got a group right now that can spend a session RPing among themselves and love the drama of it. Most enjoy combat in D&D, some what lots of it. Some like puzzles or exploration, others don't care for spending a lot fo wall clock time on them. Some may be happy as long as their characters has some drama or a chance at character growth.

"...feel like they make meaningful choices..." A meaningful choice needs to be informed (but doesn't need to be fully informed), needs to have consequences no matter what you chose, even if it's "just" risk to their characters. They need to feel like the story could have ended up very differently if they had made different yet viable choices. Railroading or an "adventure on rails" is the opposite of this, where it goes tho the same place no matter what. This is not to say that there isn't anything set; if they are investigating a murder and find out clue A from the butcher or clue B from the hidden diary both can lead to the same murderer. But when they find out why he did it do they denounce him, smuggle him out of town, or quietly turn him over to the sheriff before a mob can lynch him are still choices.

"...and there is real risk..." One of my most boring times in D&D is a series of balanced fights. A bunch fo fights that you walk away from each having used up some resources but there was no fear feels like I'm putting in the time. Ones were I narrowly survive, or it feels like it could have been a TPK if we hadn't been both sharp and lucky, those feel like we really succeeded. Now take that and apply it to everything. Trying to convince the Duke to send a relief force to a small town attacked by goblins - sure, it's worthwhile, but the players don't have much skin in the game. Finding out the duke wants to send his forces into a neighboring barony and bracing him in public with their request so he needs to protect his town first because of his obligations, even though they need to keep the duke from knowing that they are thwarting his expansion plans because then they would gain his ire - that's more exciting.

"...and real rewards.": When the PCs overcome risk, celebrate it. Have towns throw feasts for them, have them go into an inn in a new city and hear a mistral singing a song about how they overcame the Black Hound of Hanover. Have then gain both fame and fortune in noticeable and life-altering ways. Give them a reputation and have it used for both good and bad. Let them find cool magic items, gain boons from the stand-offish elves, and in other ways make them feel like they are heroes and want to do it again.

All good stuff :) If you wouldn't mind :) Could you tell me of the quest your group is currently doing and how it's being handled? :) Also, how do you handle things where you want your group to split up? :)

Blue

All good stuff :) If you wouldn't mind :) Could you tell me of the quest your group is currently doing and how it's being handled? :) Also, how do you handle things where you want your group to split up? :)

Heh. I'm laughing at myself because what I'm doing is a bit complicated and involves both a lot of multi-part arcs and a lot of improving. BTW, I'm not sure what system you are looking to run in. A D&D (or D&D-like) game will have different focuses (such as greater combat focus) then a bunch of other games out there. I'm currently running 13th Age, which is a D&D-like. I'll try to put some references in D&D 5e because it seems to be a lingua franca here on EN World.

I have the habit of throwing multiple options at the group, seeing which ones they want to follow now, and others, well advance without the PCs interfering (though others might). They pick up threads, put them down and do something else, and then pick them up later as something new comes in. As time passes I keep my world dynamic by having lots of plots and consequences (good and bad) of earlier adventures still moving. This is more campaign management then adventure management, but it does influence my adventures.

OH, if any of my 13th Age players are reading this, stop reading now. :)

So, right now the characters are mid levels (about 11th in 5e terms). The players already know that the dwarves have been chased out of the Underworld ages ago when the drow released a mind/spirit-twisting poison that is still making the underworld uninhabitable by anything sane. (And there are character plot hooks that are connected to that.)

At various points during their earlier adventures, they had helped diverse groups of druids get branches from these enormous petrified trees called the World Pillars that hold up the sky.

Recently, the High Druid, a very powerful pseudo-patron of the group, has told them that she was collecting those branches for a grand ritual because she wants to grow a new tree, an Axis Mundi (think Yggdrasil) that will connect the Underworld, the land, and the Overworld and will help drain this poison over time (many lifetimes). She'll have to kill herself to fertilize the tree, and no it's not like she'll go into it. She blames the Lord of the Dwarfs that they never got their "World Engine" working again to clear the poison.

I mention that because that's connections into most of the characters back-stories, between the High Druid and what's happening with the Dwarves, plus it's tying back to adventures they have already done. This fits the "players are interested in the outcomes" part.

Right now there's time pressure (why is irrelevant, just that it's there and not exact), but they need to retrieve branches from the last World Pillar, where the druids sent were all killed. So they know the stakes, know the time pressure. They have at their disposal a one-of-a-kind dwarven zepplin (actually it's hanging below a comatose sky whale from the Overworld).

NOTE: Even with the time pressure, the party took a several day side-trip to go to a city on the way and plan/commit a heist of books in a heretical book repository (so stealing from a good-aligned temple) that they needed for two other ongoing plots. This is part of letting them make meaningful choices. That time spent is acceptable if everything goes well, but there are unexpected twists ahead.

So, they get close to the Red Wastes where the last World Pillar tree was. Yes, was (but they knew that). Ancient history is that a bunch of demons from the abyss escaped and the first Red Dragon burned them all down, creating a land that is somewhat barren to this day.

Anyway, the petrified World Pillar took a while to burn, and raised a volcano with all the heat it dumped deep into the earth. The setting also has solid clouds that float around the Overworld that the giants like, and ghosts of sky roads that come out when the moon/stars is right. Well, they have a choice of dropping out of the skywhale a distance away, going through a petrified forest of it's saplings, and then going into the volcano to the stump, or going up to the solid cloud that's been there for ages that likely (but not definitely) was pierced by the tree and the ghost trunk still keeps here to this day. All they know about that is that snow falls from it. This is a imperfect meaningful choice for them - they have some ideas what each can mean, but not perfect knowledge to pick.

Oh, and I laid some pipe (threw out information that will be foreshadowing) about the magical currents all twisted in the air like some great magical creature was flying around.

They went up top, found a frozen giant-sized castle that seemed abandoned, and went in. After traversing through lot of magical cold-themed traps and avoiding the dead (well, UNdead, but they don't know that yet) frost giants who looked like they were trying to escape from the ice wall, they eventually got to the throne room. Part of the reason for the traps was to spotlight the rogue who took some anti-trap talents, part was to control pacing and ratchet up the tension, and part is to make it ...interesting... if they end up having to run.

I don't want to go into too many details of the fight, but a bit of lore that came up a few times is that wooden stakes paralyze vampires because a High Druid ages ago did a ritual to make it so. This was told to show how potent a ritual with the World Pillars could be ... so the players think. Really it was more laying pipe. There's a staked vampire (MUCH nastier in 13th Age then 5e, consider it around CR 18) in the tree, and the ice sorceress frost giant and her husband are something close to under having been corrupted living off the blood ice that drips from it.

Side note: All the time I throw out "important" things, like "all of the summoned demons were wearing a thin chain covered in runes". While often these are ports of plots, they are just as likely that I don't know what the detail is for, but building a later adventure I'll realize I can use it for a tie it. Is that chain a recurring summoner or a cult? Are the runes done in an ancient elven style? Whatever I need. Laying pipe is how I heard that described years ago - putting things in at the foundation level before everything gets covered over.

Back to the adventure. Going up to the solid cloud was the more direct route, which they knew (not having to traipse around in a haunted forest and then go into a volcano), but it's also the deadlier. By the numbers, this combat will likely kill some if they aren't smart, and many are already partially frozen (initialize penalty and chance for ongoing damage when they take more cold damage) from the magical ice traps.

They have a lot of ways to do this. Head on fight - risky, but if they play tight they could pull it off. Grab the branches and retreat out of the castle - made harder by the traps and frost giant ice zombies that will soon be coming out of the walls. Take the branches and jump out the viewing holes in the cloud - but less than half the party can fly. Oh, and unfreezing the ice-encrusted branches will take some time or magic, and doing it recklessly could release the vampire. (Which would actually go after the giants first, but would be starved and go after the party next.)

Oh, and I mentioned a twist about time before. The captain of the dwarven zeppelin was told about what is being down and sees it as usurping the Lord of the Dwarves' right of command he asserts over the Underworld (regardless that he can't enforce it) and has unloaded a crate of food/supplies and has flown away while the party has been in the castle. So hopefully they don't come running out hoping to make a quick escape on it.

Just for comparison, the lower path was a several day trek through a haunted forest, but not nearly this deadly with the individual things that came up but time pressure would be mounting, to the volcano which would have it's own heat-related issues, only to find out that the inside was a Red "Hordesong" Dragon's lair. It was out, but the Hordesong dragons sing to their treasure and it sings/reverberates back and they can tell if a single copper is missing. The stump is not part of it's treasure, but several characters would have been SOOO tempted by horde they were passing and if they took any I could add a powerful dragon tracking them down as they fled back to the High Druid (now on foot).

So that's the "current quest". There's more trials on getting back to the High Druid - I'm basically seeing what they can think up on how to get down from the cloud, with a backup plan of the trunk materializing like the sky roads when the moon is right as a backup plan - but only after more time has passed. I'm confident that they can work out something quicker. And I haven't detailed about getting from where they are back tot he High Druid's woods - if that's going to be a multi-session adventure with time ticking or a montage and some skill checks that takes half an hour will depend more on what the players are interested in (and if they are being actively pursued). If it does end up taking multiple sessions, I'll probably have another arc intrude and they'll have to decided to follow up on promicing but short-lived leads or continue and hope they get back quick enough. All of that, including the idea of "let's nto spend a lot of time on this if it's not interesting" harkens back to the "path to get there".

Completing this will have long term changes on the game world, which is a reward for some of the players. There will also be more immediate rewards for them, but much more likely boons like being able to soothe or command animals, giant eagle mounts, being able to do Tree Stride or something like that, since the High Druid isn't very into magic items. Plus a bunch a big lead on another campaign arc that they don't realize is connected yet.

Oh, and the emissary will likely have a chance to earn a new name. The character is a barbarian where they earn their names, and ended up trading his name in a goblin market for a ancestral bow of his clan that he wanted to return. He has no knowledge of his previous name and it doesn't feel like it describes him to himself anymore when other tell it to him. Ah, fun.

Last edited:

Blue

Wow, I typed a wall of text. Much of it is because I needed to explain the context for my table, but for what you run for your group you'll be the one developing it so you'll already knwo about them. Also my group likes very serial/heavy continuity, other groups like episodic where they have a much clearer and direct vision of what's going on.

That's part of why I laughed when you asked - I had to lot to explain to tell about my "current adventure" even though it's not actually all that large. Mainly so I could link it back to player motivations, meaning choices, and the like from my original post.

Blue, That was a good read :) The idea I like the most is that there's a dragon who can count his gold and will be pissed if any of it goes missing :) I honestly wouldn't mind doing something like that or having some sort of passive threat that they would have to avoid by being stealthy during certain parts of a day :) I also see that you've decided to build some of the story around the player's ambitions (so that'll be something I've got to find out about my group) :)

Nagol

Unimportant
The answer is simple, but can become quite complex to deliver on. An interesting adventure is one with choices the players find interesting.

OK, so what makes a choice interesting to the players? Ah, thus begins the journey down the rabbit hole! The answer to that is it depends on the players.

At its basic level an interesting choice is one where a choice can alter the predicated outcome and the chooser cares about that outcome enough to give it at least a basic value assessment.

There are a few things a DM can do to discover those items the players find interesting and thus are more likely to care about.

• Pay attention to what aspects of gameplay each player and the table as a whole pays attention to
  • Pay attention to which choices --seemingly inconsequential or not -- the group discusses
  • Keep track of NPCs, locations, and any other setting bits the players engage with, even briefly

One point missing from the above list is asking the players. There is a reason for that. Many, or even most people, haven't given the issue much thought and most don't necessarily articulate these sorts of interests well. Talking to the players ahead of the campaign about what they expect and after each session about what they enjoyed is a great techinique for the DM to build a model of what intrigues and engages each player. Combining that with observation during the session about how the players actually act can build a pretty good model of what attracts the interest of individual players and the table as a whole. Humans are contrary though so you can't completely rely on this model. At some point as a DM, you'll through a well-baited hook onto the table only to see it completely ignored or misintepreted.

A few cautions:

Beware choice fatigue. If the group is making the same basic type of choices consistently, fatigue will set in. What is interesting once in a while is boring under constant repetition.

Beware victim fatigue. Superman must get pretty tired of getting Lois Lane out of a jam all the time. Players certainly do.

Beware sudden twists. If the players engage enough to make a choice, resist the impulse to twist the result to something unexpected. "Natural" and plausible unexpected consequences are acceptable espcially is the players are operating with partial knowledge of the situation, but if the choice is A or B and the players choose A, make the result A plus C rather than just C.

Beware all roads lead to darkness. If the table engages in a choice don't always have the consequences spiral downward. Most of the time, if players believe every choice will lead to a bad result, they'll stop being interested.

My thoughts have been touched on above already but I'll state them anyway.

LEARN WHAT YOUR PLAYERS WANT
Some players are just after power. Offer artifacts (with restrictions) or magical items of their preference.

LEARN WHAT THEIR CHARACTERS WANT
Seems like a repeat of the above but would a fighter want a bunch of scrolls that he cannot use?

SET UP ADVENTURES WITH MIXED THEMES
Don't make each encounter or location the same. Mix it up a bit but within the limits of Players like. Some groups like tricky riddles others detest them Some like their Hack n' Slash others do not. Mix it up.

DO YOUR PLAYERS 'ROLE-PLAY' or 'ROLL-PLAY' ?
Learn what they prefer. Some groups enjoy some theatre, some roll a die. Okay I have 20 What gathering of rumors did I get. And again, mix it up some.

3-D VILLIANS
Leave the cardboard cutout villiains for henchmen. Important or memorable NPCs all have something unique about them. Catch Phrases, strange appearances etc.....

DESCRIPTIONS
When describing villians, settings, events etc.... use the six senses. You smell the burnt O-Zone after the lightning attack. You can feel the evil from the lich..... Your heart beats quicker as the vampire slowly turns to face you..... The air is so foul you can taste it.......

Then the most important- HAVE FUN

aco175

Legend
A lot of this is great advise. Knowing your players is the best in my opinion. My group likes to kill things mixed in with a good plot and a few puzzles. There is less role-playing than other groups I have been with. Each will have their own tastes. We had one player in the past who liked to gain treasure and new abilities by advancing in levels over most of the rest. Dragon had some good things on this written by Gygax around 2003 that listed 16 or 17 items that players liked in various degrees.

I always liked to have a few different elements in my adventures, depending on how long each is planning to take. Right now most of my adventures take one or two nights so I break it down into 4-5 encounters per night. Some are introduction role playing, one or two may be a trap or puzzle, and most will be combat or some sort. The combats will be 1-2 easy combats where the group will destroy the enemy with a few being average to hard. The last encounter or next to last will be a combat that is challenging and memorable.

Maps should have a couple choices depending on how many encounters you have. The 5-room dungeon method is a good exercise in planning a 1-night adventure. I try to make each dungeon split or have a branch where a secret door leads to the final room or reward. Some split before coming back to the main threat. It is a bit like railroading, but there is limited choices involved.

Overall I would say to try and DM, it is rewarding and most players will thank you for it. The first few times you may not be great but it gets easier the more you do it. Steal maps and encounters from old material to mix with your designs. I find puzzles and traps online to steal and some are hard and others the players get right away. When you are stuck, ask the players what they want.

Remove ads