• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes the best Ranged Attacker?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Im talking the best all around Archer...

Fighter?
Rouge?
Ranger?
Psionic Warrior?
I've no idea myself

and I don't mean casters..

Crothian

First Post
I'd go with Fighter if you havea few option books with additional archer feats and the DM allows them as bonus fighter feats. Feats can really make the Archer exceptional.

Kal Vito

First Post
I havent compared the psi warrior, but out of the other classes I would say the Fighter. For starters he has the best attack bonuses, secondly they get weapon specialization and bonus feats. As discussed above feats like precise shot, far shot shot and rapid shot help ALOT.

Kal Vito

First Post
I havent compared the psi warrior, but out of the other classes I would say the Fighter. For starters he has the best attack bonuses, secondly they get weapon specialization and bonus feats.

As discussed above feats like precise shot, far shot shot and rapid shot help ALOT.

But this is true with all weapons. After all a fighter should be the best with a weapon, as its all he has to rely on.

Turlogh

Explorer
What makes the best ranged attacker?

An attacker with a ranged weapon of course:p

I think that a straight fighter would be the best because of all the feats he has access to, but a couple of rogue levels could help with the sneak attack bonuses, for the close in work.
I think a level 10 fighter/10 order of the bow initate would be a pretty kick butt archer.

Last edited:

Probably the Fighter will be the best, but consider Multiclassing...

Oh, and sometimes a Ranger can be DEVASTATING - a few sessions ago we had an encounter with 7 trolls. The 6th level Ranger had Favored Enemy: Trolls, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Rapid Shot - and good dice :) .
Combined with the Greater Magic Weapon of the Wizard he was awesome. Really Awesome. When I saw what my Fighter/Ranger was able to do, I wondered what I did make wrong. (Probably I should roll a bit better :) )...

Oh: Be aware that a Fighter has one disadvantage: He is a front line Fighter and has to spend most his feats on this job... So Rogues, Monks (Elven for the Bow Profiency) and other "back up" Combattants might be better suited...

Last edited:

zorlag

First Post
zorlag

Bard + Arcane Archer (10/10)

Rogue + Assassin + Arcane Archer (5/5/10)

Fighter + Order of the Bow (10/10)

Fighter + Sorcerer + AA or OotBI (4/6/10)

Any of these. Without prestige classes I'd pick Fighter or Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Bard.

Z.

Scarab

First Post
My Arcane Archer (Fighter 6/Sorcerer 1/Arcane Archer 2) took the GM by surprise, to say the least. :)

I whacked half a dozen orcs in three rounds before they could even reach us. All of a sudden, bows and javelins have become very popular among the opposition...

Remove ads