What modules should come out sooner rather than later? [Poll]

What modules should come out sooner rather than later?

• Tactical/Grid Combat

Votes: 64 70.3%
  • Social/Political (something like Birthright)

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Alternate Magic systems (non-Vancian, high magic, low/no magic, etc.)

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • More/less codified skills

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Mass combat

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Exploration

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Alignment with mechanical effects

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Change in character complexity (presumably not needing the tactical module)

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Morale or other group mechanics for monsters

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Alternate hit point and healing

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Stronghold, minions, and titles

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Pets and followers

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Domain and other religion relate material

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Planar integration (assumes plane hopping occurs regularly)

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Other, please explain in thread

Votes: 6 6.6%

Dedekind

Explorer
I hear a lot of people talking about "X would make a great module." What needs to get made into a module sooner rather than later?

I personally would want an alternate XP system put in place pretty quick: XP for treasure, quests, plot points, but no monsters.

What do you think?

Li Shenron

Legend
I would like a module to bring more differentiation among weapons, armors and shields.

Then some module for simple mechanics to quantify possible bonuses, advantages, acquisitions etc. from downtime activities.

And if possible also a module to change the initiative system so that each action "costs" a number of second (or whatever) so that depending on the action chosen, your relative position in the initiative roll (which probably wouldn't be cyclical anymore) can change.

Dedekind

Explorer

And if possible also a module to change the initiative system so that each action "costs" a number of second (or whatever) so that depending on the action chosen, your relative position in the initiative roll (which probably wouldn't be cyclical anymore) can change.

Kind of like Feng Shui? That would be neat, but that seems like it would touch every part of the system.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I personally would want an alternate XP system put in place pretty quick: XP for treasure, quests, plot points, but no monsters.

Alternate? They don't have an XP system in place at all! They only have XP numbers listed next to rooms and in the Bestiary entries. They never say what you do with those numbers.

So yeah, that would be my first choice. ;)

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
"Sooner" meaning "sooner in the playtest process?" Definitely exploration rules (how am I supposed to track a 1-hour duration? I houseruled 10-minute turns, but it would be nice to have those in the book), mass combat (rats, kobolds, yadda yadda), and a fixed healing system.

"Sooner" meaning "sooner after release?" None, they should all be in the core books at launch.

Dedekind

Explorer
"Sooner" meaning "sooner in the playtest process?" Definitely exploration rules (how am I supposed to track a 1-hour duration? I houseruled 10-minute turns, but it would be nice to have those in the book), mass combat (rats, kobolds, yadda yadda), and a fixed healing system.

"Sooner" meaning "sooner after release?" None, they should all be in the core books at launch.

I was thinking sooner after release, but I assume they'll be in the same order. Maybe not?

But I disagree they should all be in the core books. The core books should let you get to approximately any prior edition of D&D (given the design goals) and the only modules that would have to be there is probably tactics and skills. (Maybe exploration.)

I suspect that modules will be the splat book strategy. Complete Exploration Handbook, Complete Guide to Planar Campaigns, Mass Combat and You, etc., will be for DMs. And then Non-Vancian Magic, Extreme Character Options, etc., for players.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I was thinking sooner after release, but I assume they'll be in the same order. Maybe not?

But I disagree they should all be in the core books. The core books should let you get to approximately any prior edition of D&D (given the design goals) and the only modules that would have to be there is probably tactics and skills. (Maybe exploration.)

I suspect that modules will be the splat book strategy. Complete Exploration Handbook, Complete Guide to Planar Campaigns, Mass Combat and You, etc., will be for DMs. And then Non-Vancian Magic, Extreme Character Options, etc., for players.
I don't want to buy 3 books to be able to run D&DN. I really don't want to buy 6 books to be able to run D&DN.

I don't think the kernel is detailed enough to fill a whole DMG (the first draft of the kernel DM rules is 9 pages), and it's not like mass combat or exploration rules would take up that much space.

If D&DN wants to live up to its goal of supporting all playstyles, it needs to do so from the start, at a reasonable price point.

Last edited:

Dragoslav

First Post
I voted for almost everything, which would be ideal, but I don't think they should release ANY module unless it's polished and fit for mass utilization. If that means fewer modules available at release, so be it.

Stormonu

Legend
At the very minimum, I think they're either going to have to include in the core or release within a month or two those modules that will let you reproduce OD&D, BECM(I), 1E, 2E, 3E, or 4E core ruleset.

That, for me, means the following "modules"

- Tactical (Gridded) Combat
- Combat "Maneuvers"/Powers - such as tripping, grappling, etc.
- variant Healing and Death & Dying rules (the boards have shown there's no one way everyone wants to deal with this)
- Equipment (I believe Mearls stated at one point that buying equipment "a la carte" was going to be optional)
- expanded Armor (I have a feeling they may have light/heavy as core and options for more than that)
- expanded Weapons & Weapon attributes
- Encumbrance
- Ammo (for example, notice how it was handled in Gamma World)
- Skills (let's face it; at least four editions didn't have skills as core rules - they were either later add-ons or optional)
- Classes beyond Fighter, Cleric, Rogue & Wizard
- Traits & Background
- variant forms of XP
- Henchmen & Hirelings (though, that's somewhat iffy) - including the donkeyhorse, paladin's warhorse, familiars and druid's animal companion

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Here's what I want
  • Alternative to alignment that is not based on stereotypical good and evil themes.
  • A more defined social conflict system to break out on occassion. Much like not every fight requires detailed tactical combat not every interaction need be a social conflict, but I'd appreciate the option.
  • Abstract wealth and reputation mechanics that can be used to have an impact on the game's fiction.
  • Resource management for martial characters.
  • A MRQ/M&M/Fate style hero point mechanic.

Of course my tastes are not that mainstream.

Remove ads