D&D 5E What new content do you like most?

What new content do you like most? (choose up to 3)

• Species (races)

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • Subclasses

Votes: 37 29.1%
  • Feats

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Monsters/NPCs

Votes: 68 53.5%
  • Spells

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • Magic items

Votes: 37 29.1%
  • Equipment

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Classes

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • Rules variants/additions

Votes: 47 37.0%
  • Backgrounds

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Locations (not full settings)

Votes: 35 27.6%

I voted Monsters/NPCs, Rules variants/additions, and Locations (not full settings).

I'm done needing more character-build options. There are a grip of 3PP books filled to the brim with new races, classes, subclasses, and feats. I don't have enough playtime and characters to explore all the options I already have in this regard. Yes, obviously there's that one thing that either hasn't been covered or I think was covered incorrectly that I would love someone to make the perfect custom class/feat/etc. for, but that's just gambling that Author #349572C will do what I wanted when everyone else thus far hasn't (that I will undoubtedly homebrew for myself anyways).

What I need are more situations/challenges/adversaries for my DM (or me when I'm the DM) to place in front of the characters, and new ways (rule variants) that the experience of those can lead to enjoyment. New city with interesting political structure, alleys full of feral mutant velocirhinos, with competitive sliding-down-bannister races with custom rules? Now that's something I don't have time to come up with, that my players will love to engage with (or I will love if my DM throws at me).

mellored

Legend
I'll add that one on! Well, not settings as those are a package which contains all the other stuff, but locations for sure!
It would be very cool to just have a book of little towns, small caves, and temples that can be readily slotted into existing campaigns.

I know you can get map packs, but something a little more filled out would be good. Something that you could just pull out and go "as you get lost in the woods you hear an elf caravan and a dwarf caravan screening at eachother".

Like random encounters, but more fleshed out.

Meech17

Adventurer
It would be very cool to just have a book of little towns, small caves, and temples that can be readily slotted into existing campaigns.

I know you can get map packs, but something a little more filled out would be good. Something that you could just pull out and go "as you get lost in the woods you hear an elf caravan and a dwarf caravan screening at eachother".

Like random encounters, but more fleshed out
I've thought of a product like this. Like essentially a campaign book, but everything is broken into individual zine sized components. Like the starting village would be it's own little booklet, and include a couple of maps, a couple of well fleshed out NPCs, a few more slightly less fleshed out NPCs. A handful of plot hooks built in.

Then a Dungeon would get it's own booklet. They'd be made in a way that would be easy to put the two together. You can take one of the NPCs and their hook from the village book, and use the dungeon book to flesh out the adventure, or at the same time, you could just drop either into your existing campaign on their own.

Quickleaf

Legend
Can you tell me about Epic Destinies?
It's a product converting/adapting an idea from 4th edition that is intended for 20th+ level PCs.

The author's conversion is pretty well done from what I've read so far. I actually think there's potential to incorporate this sort of stuff earlier, maybe around 9th/11th level, though that would take some creativity (e.g. I'm thinking of a feat & class-feature swap-outs).

It's a product converting/adapting an idea from 4th edition that is intended for 20th+ level PCs.

The author's conversion is pretty well done from what I've read so far. I actually think there's potential to incorporate this sort of stuff earlier, maybe around 9th/11th level, though that would take some creativity (e.g. I'm thinking of a feat & class-feature swap-outs).

Word, will look into it! This is something I'm very much interested in.

Meech17

Adventurer
I voted for Classes, Monsters, and species. I miss the products from 3.5 like the PHBII. It was nice to get more options.

I'm hoping to see if LevelUP or Kobold Press perhaps do something along those lines. From what I've seen so far they've mainly done some reflavoring of the core classes, whereas I'd like to see a whole book of new options.

More species is fun too. And Monster books have so far been the 3pp products I've purchased and gotten the most value from, I think.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover

I’m using this alongside a group of books that converted many of the powers from 4e into boons that can be granted to players. It even comes with some rules for converting powers into spells if you want. I’m using both along with an site that has most of the 4e material to create paragon path/epic destined for my player’s characters once they hit either 10th or 11th level.

KoolMoDaddy-O

Explorer
I voted Monsters/NPCs, Rules variants/additions, and Locations (not full settings).

Samesies. I always need more side quests.

More NPC stat blocks. More giant snail races like from Wild Beyond the Witchlight. More overgrown elven ruins, lost cities, mysterious uncharted islands, pocket dimensions within wardrobes, and strange isolated villages that harbor dark secrets.

Remove ads