What NON-D&D fantasy art got you hooked?

Sacrosanct

Legend
In the other thread, I talk about what D&D art really nails down what D&D means to you. By contrast, this thread is about what non-D&D fantasy art got you hooked line and sinker into fantasy, and drawn to rpgs in general. Most of us probably saw some fantasy art we were immediately drawn to before we saw and played RPGs. I'd love to see what that was for folks.

Me?
1594672691497.png

1594672726998.png

1594672785084.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The earliest one I remember was a book on Greek Mythology that feature a picture of Bellerophon and Chimera

6B8ADB91-4B33-483B-8362-477B3FA52036.jpeg

(Not this pic)

But what really hooked me was - Frank Frazaetta art
64B9BE2B-54C1-444C-8DE7-97DDD60A9ED9.jpeg

I was reading Tarzan, Conan and Solomon Kane and consider those my main influences along with mythology and fairytale.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hm. A long, long time ago, the Brohters Hildebrandt did a series of fantasy posters for Coca Cola, as a campus promotion. My eldest brother snagged copies for me...

View attachment 123760

View attachment 123761
the Brothers Hildebrandt were a huge influence on me (they are in my original post). I first saw their art in Sword of Shannara, and I was hooked. There was a BH art book in my school library, and I think I checked that out every other week for the whole school year lol

I was always a sucker for Michael Whelan book art.

I love cheap book cover art. When I was a kid, I would sometimes go to the library or book store (especially used book stores) just to enjoy the covers on pulp books. Admittedly, I was more focused on more sci-fi and horror, but fantasy too.

I recently got this book, and it's amazing: Amazon.com: Paperbacks from Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction (9781594749810): Hendrix, Grady: Books
If there was a fantasy version, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

In a different direction, but mother was/is a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings calendars with illustrations by the Hildebrant Brothers, and says they were one of the things that made her get into Tolkien.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Rodney Matthews, despite his own best intentions (he's on record as saying D&D is the work of the Devil). I've based various adventures off works of his.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Mike Ploog gets an honorable mention here as well. Ever since I saw his work in Wizards, I loved it. I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised if Bill Willingham's art in D&D wasn't to emulate Ploog's style.

Remove ads