• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What non-D&D RPGs should D&D look at for inspiration?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I've seen threads asking if D&D should look to video games for inspiration. That made me think about other, tabletop RPGs that D&D could draw inspiration from in developing 5th edition.

Some that immediately come to mind are:

Feng Shui by Robin Laws: Great, cinematic combat and talent trees to allow for character development over time.

The One Ring by Francesco Nepitello: First off, the game is beautifully done. Everything from the dice, to the art, to the use of a slipcase that holds it all together shows that this is something of value. Character creation allows for background options and class options that makes sense and aren't too crunchy (but with lots of flavor).

Savage Worlds by Shane Hensley: A flexible and relatively rules-lite game that is fun to play.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I'll add Earthdawn for the cool way to handle magic items: threaded items which a character has to actually work/adventure in order to unlock its power.

I agree with taking inspiration from The One Ring rpg and the upcoming Marvel Heroic RPG via the new Cortex system.

Inspiration on how to bring life to the campaign and player characters with less number crunching.

Brock

Saint&Sinner

Explorer
FATE for Aspects, the Solar System for Keys, Burning Wheel for a tight meta-game economy, Circles, and how success and failure in skills are handled.

Vayden

First Post
3rd vote for Savage Worlds. Really does a good job of slimming down and speeding up gameplay in a lot of ways.

And I know it is already in the mix due to Mike Mearls being the boss these days, but Iron Heroes is something I would still play today.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads