• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What non-"essential" characters do you play?

CancR

First Post
Dwarf Monk. 4th ed monks are A-MAZ-ING!

Not exactly a top damage guy but is easy to bloody a whole group of enemies in a single turn. For the first time since playing D&D a monk feels like a monk.

Other then that I still play the Wizard.

Mapache

Explorer
I'm in love with hybrid leaders. These days, my two LFR characters are:
• Illyria Stormborn, a Stormsoul Genasi Ranger/Warlord-multiclassed Spiked Chain user/Infernal Strategist who hands out ridiculous bonuses while frostcheesing enemies four or five times a round between Twin Strike, Minor Actions, Immediate Actions, and Free Actions from other Leaders.

• Aegon Stravinsky, a Stormsoul Genasi Wizard/Warlord/Academy Master who drops enormous Thunder-Psychic Winged Hordes that wreck the enemy while summoning up assorted monsters of his own.

And I'm playing in a Dark Sun game where I run:
• Amiri, an Elf Ranger/Shaman/Elemental Priest Theme-multiclassed Druid who murders things from half a mile away while a small horde of elementals help out my party.

Other characters that I played in LFR for a while included:
• Random, a Tiefling Cunning Bard who relied on Stirring Song of Baator plus a flaming weapon for a massive torrent of temporary hit points.
• Nowhere, a Tiefling Fire Wizard who had fun taking down a cult of insane fire worshippers.
• Quinn, a Human Shielding Swordmage/Artificer/Coronal Guard with big thundering Sword Bursts.
• Revelation, a Tiefling Paladin/Warlock/Turathi Highborn with lots of AoE marking and Marked+Eyebite hilarity.
• Lanna Gearsong, a Dwarf Avenger/Cleric.
• Iriana Moonrise, an Elf Ranger/Cleric/Sharpshooter.
• Grendel, a Half-Orc Tempest Fighter with a Spiked Chain.

I also dinked around with a Dwarf Battlemind and a Human Ardent, but wasn't very impressed, had some fun with a Shifter Runepriest, and tried out a Halfling Sorcerer/Bard, a Dwarf Invoker/Cleric, and a Dwarf Warlock/Warlord with Hammer Shock and Hammer Rhythm.

So, yeah, as you can tell from the cloud of hybrid-multiclassed mashups, I'm not really the type to go for Essentials classes.

SeamusRedfern

First Post
Level 4, Human Druid (Guardian) who focuses on destroying things with Cold damage. Voted MVP for 2 encounters and voted Most Likely To Cause A Wipe every session. (That hasn't happened yet, all lies!)

S'mon

Legend
So, what do you play that isn't a Fighter, Cleric, Magic User, Thief, Ranger, Rageblood Barbarian or Sorcerer?

I've only played Fighter, Thief and Rageblood Barbarian, so I guess you got me! :D

I've seen my players play Warlocks, Hexblades, Paladins, Hunters, and some more exotic PHB2 stuff like Invoker, Druid, Bard and Warden. Haven't actually seen any Sorcerers that I can recall.

babinro

First Post
My group has run one of each class from the PHB1, 2, and 3 with the exception of Warden (which I'd love to try), Runepriest, Battlemind, and Avenger. We've only ever tried one essentials character in the form of Executioner.

We go through so many classes because we get together for about 5 hours once a week and consider each session a level even if we only had 2-3 encounters (with a few exceptions to better suit the story taking place). As such, we get through level 1-25/30 campaigns roughly once per year given cancelled sessions and the like.

Thus far, only a handful of classes came across as overpowered when compared to their counterparts. Both Chaos Sorc and Fey Warlock were far superior to any other striker played due to crazy damage of the Sorc, and the great controller style powers of the Warlock. The Psion and Ardent were also overpowerd due to bad design as their level 1 at-wills are simply too powerful and get more and more rediculous as time goes on. Psion more so than Ardent due to Dishearten sucking the fun out of the game.

For myself, I've personally played a Dwarven Protector Shaman, a Craghammer Dwarven Kensei Fighter, and an optimized Minotaur Charging Barbarian Nocternal. I must say that the Shaman came across as a little weak after we started implementing the new damage rules from MM3. The companion began dying on about 90% of attacks made against it against roughly 50% before. Seems to me, the class could benefit from a slight errata...though its hardly unplayable.

Last edited:

darkwing

First Post
I enjoy my Dragonborn Warlord. He rocks.

Overall though, I like Essentials classes better than their core counterparts. I played the Warpriest and liked it very much. I switched from a Barbarian to Essentials Slayer. I used to play a pre-essentials Rogue but if I had to do it again I'd play the Essentials Thief instead.

I dislike dailies and prefer at-will powers most of the time and the Essentials classes are better at at-will powers. It's a good fit. I just wish the Essentials Mage was also designed the non-daily way because screw you daily lovers there's already a wizard with dailies, it's called a wizard. The hunter looks promising as a controller though.

Last edited:

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Pathfinder:

• Human Witch - Will be my first non-4e PC in over 3 years.
D&D Encounters:

• Tiefling Psion - (Season 1)
  • DMed (Season 2)
  • Sat Out This Season (Season 3)
  • Human Sentinel (Druid) of Spring - (Season 4) Paired with my wife's elven hunter ranger, he was awesome!
  • Human Vampire - (Season 5) Christened the "BAM-pire" by the other players. Zaltrazar was a complete idiot but a lovable one.
  • Eladrin Bladesinger (Wizard) - (Season 6) Current character, lots of fun.
Ashes of Athas:

• Human Valorous Bard (Theme: Athasian Minstrel) - Party Face.
Home Game:

• Changeling Executioner (Assassin) - There are no changeling race, we reskin it to mechanically represent things. One player had his Ardent psionically change his appearance in the mind those around him, my character is more like the Faceless Ones from Game of Thrones. He is human who through an arduous ritual now serves the Raven Queen as an instrument of fate.
LFR (Haven't played in over a year):

• Half-Elf Valorous Bard
  • Kenku Storm Sorcerer (I know, part of your "essentials")
  • Drow Nightstaker Assassin
Lair Assault:

• Revenant Storm Sorcerer - Effective but overshadowed as a Striker by the party Thief (wife) and Slayer.

Last edited:

Remove ads