• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • Eberron

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Theros

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exandia

Votes: 18 15.0%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, GoSM is not a setting book at all, so its not a revisit.
It is largely a Setting book, though, in a similar vein yo Curse of Dtrahd. One can very readily count Van Richten's as a revisit to a Setting touched on in 5E, and a full Setting book for Greyhawk could be seen under the same rubric.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, I think Ghosts of Saltmarsh is more in like with Tales of the Yawning Portal and Candlekeep Mysteries (as an anthology of adventures that don't cleave closely to the various seasons of AL). Maybe Curse of Strahd was a first attempt at that, and they didn't know what to do with it with AL so just made a Domain of Dread connection at the Moonsea. Even with AL Season 6, they tried to make a season around TotYP but ultimately all they did was make a couple bridge adventures to the various adventures in the anthology, which worked strangely because they would follow up on a Greyhawk giants adventure but now the epilogue/sequel to that adventure is in the Anauroch for some reason? Clearly wasn't thought through carefully and before the time of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, they had thrown out the idea of having a second AL season per year, so GoSM got to be sort of stand-alone without AL tie-in (save for the one WotC-published adventure on the DM's Guild that ties in but doesn't exist as part of any AL season). Candlekeep Mysteries plays the same into AL as GoSM, so I imagine they'll keep churning out non-AL anthology books every other year in the spring, while the off-years will get something else instead…
Ghosts of Daltmarsh contains a huge hearty Gazateer, however, unlike Yawning Portal or Candlekeep.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm sure things have evolved, but the Forgotten Realms is still very popular, and a rich vein if mineable material for Homebrewers.
Fair. The farther you skew from the core assumptions of the PHB, the harder it is to appropriate for a home-brewed setting. FR-based adventures are the most easy to adapt for any given homebrew setting. It's a lot harder to adapt, say, a Ravenloft or a Dark Sun adventure, since they're so far afield from the core assumptions. Ravenloft at least has the benefit of having a defined home in the Planes (the Shadowfell), so it could connect to any setting that uses a Plane of Shadow, theoretically.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

It doesn't explicitly say anything that it's a return to a setting that has a "Setting book." So it can still be Greyhawk, it's been covered in GoS and in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

I'll add, I'm leaning towards that Perkins setting being Dragonlance. He doesn't really do non-adventure material, so it makes sense that the Dragonlance reboot is largely a remake of the original modules.

It is largely a Setting book, though, in a similar vein yo Curse of Dtrahd. One can very readily count Van Richten's as a revisit to a Setting touched on in 5E, and a full Setting book for Greyhawk could be seen under the same rubric.

It focuses on such a tiny part of the setting it doesn't even meet the low bar of CoS, which WotC didn't count as a visit given Ravenloft is concidered one of the classic settings, not a revisit.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Ghosts of Daltmarsh contains a huge hearty Gazateer, however, unlike Yawning Portal or Candlekeep.
That's a good point. Touché. In that sense, it's a little bit more akin to Curse of Strahd or Storm King's Thunder, because it has to establish the assumed setting details in addition to providing the adventure. I'm assuming that other AL books will continue to do this, though, such as Wild Beyond the Witchlight - they need to establish the part of the Feywild they're in and what sort of things are going to be around there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair. The farther you skew from the core assumptions of the PHB, the harder it is to appropriate for a home-brewed setting. FR-based adventures are the most easy to adapt for any given homebrew setting. It's a lot harder to adapt, say, a Ravenloft or a Dark Sun adventure, since they're so far afield from the core assumptions. Ravenloft at least has the benefit of having a defined home in the Planes (the Shadowfell), so it could connect to any setting that uses a Plane of Shadow, theoretically.
Yeah, or a DWIGHT want a small area dominated by a monster that isn't necessarily metaphysical Domain.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Eberron is largely a static setting, so as long as you have E: RftLW your set, you can even use 3.5e & 4e books with it for Lore as Eberrons timeline doesn't advance, so no need for a revisit
Unless they do something like an official version of Exploring Eberron, or some other part of Eberron that hasn't been explored yet (Khyber seems to be lacking in content).

I was just rereading the Winninger quote that started this all, and something occured to me. In addition to the two new settings and the one revisited setting (all three of which he says might not happen), two classic setting products are coming. Everyone has interpreted this to mean that two classic settings wil be revisited, one per product.

But what Winninger actually writes is this: "...there are two more products that revive 'classic' settings in production right now." One of them is by Perkins (almost certainly an adventure path, quite possibly Dragonlance). The other is being headed up by Schneider and Levitch.

Now, I'm not saying this is likely—probably the default assumption is correct and each of these products is for one and only one classic setting—but it's entirely consistent with what he wrote that the Schneider and Levitch product could be for more than one classic setting.

Remove ads