D&D 5E What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • Eberron

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Theros

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exandia

Votes: 18 15.0%

darjr

I crit!
But “revisit” doesn’t mean a setting book or a whole book does it? Could be from the DMG or something else they’ve done. That laboratory thing that went to the temple from the AD&D PHB cover could count.

But “revisit” doesn’t mean a setting book or a whole book does it? Could be from the DMG or something else they’ve done. That laboratory thing that went to the temple from the AD&D PHB cover could count.
Because they stated that they would be updating several classic settings, including revisiting one that has already been published in 5e. Since pretty much every setting was mentioned and briefly described on page 68 of DMG, what would that leave to be updated but not revisited in your theory?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's true, it could mean a lot of things. Context suggests that Winninger meant something more like Van Richten's Guide than Ghost og Saltmarsh...but maybe not. An Adventure in Eberron would make some sense, given how popular it is. We are just speculating, but given the advances in Setting presentation since SCAG came out, the limited scale of SCAG (relatively, the SCAG region is about the size of Europe, for goodness sake), and WotC stated desire to recontextualize problematic elements in the game, a Forgotten Realms book focused, say, the Heartlands would make a lot of sense.

Why is FR the favorite? Is there a quote or something other than the “revisit” quote?

Mostly process of elimination. The publish settings so far are FR, Eberron, Ravnica, Ravenloft, Theros, and Wildmounte. They said its not an MtG setting so Ravnica and Theros are out. Ravenloft just got a book, so a revisit is way too premature, Eberron is largely a static setting, so as long as you have E: RftLW your set, you can even use 3.5e & 4e books with it for Lore as Eberrons timeline doesn't advance, so no need for a revisit. Folks are by and large happy with the setting books, with the exception of some Ravenloft fans at VRGtR's retcons, and FR fans at the SCAG for being too small and under detailed, as well as mechanically bad. With this release eliminating Exandria as CR is now self publishing, that leaves FR. Plus FR is the most popular setting and the most profitable, with its setting book being the most critized.

It's true, it could mean a lot of things. Context suggests that Winninger meant something more like Van Richten's Guide than Ghost og Saltmarsh...but maybe not. An Adventure in Eberron would make some sense, given how popular it is. We are just speculating, but given the advances in Setting presentation since SCAG came out, the limited scale of SCAG (relatively, the SCAG region is about the size of Europe, for goodness sake), and WotC stated desire to recontextualize problematic elements in the game, a Forgotten Realms book focused, say, the Heartlands would make a lot of sense.

If they focus more on a subset region it will likely be in the Southern Regions which is alot less white then the North, more PoC both human and demihuman wise.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Tal'Dorei is being revisited independently by Mercer, so it's not Exandria.
Eberron has been continuously revisited independently (on DMs Guild) by Keith Baker, so it's not Eberron.
There's no real reason to revisit the Magic: The Gathering settings.
Ravenloft was JUST revisited.
Forgotten Realms is the only setting I expect to be continuously revisited by WotC in new books. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another less-than-all-of-Faerûn setting gazetteer akin to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, but for a different region like Cormyr or the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Certainly not for the Border Kingdoms or the Moonshae Isles, though, as those are being revisited on the DM's Guild in a semi-official manner and have their own gazetteers. I also don't see a gazetteer for the Moonsea happening unless they retire the area as the focus of the AL. Which could happen; Icewind Dale's AL season is set in Icewind Dale. The Ravenloft season is set in Ravenloft (though it started from the Moonsea). Presumably the Feywild season will be mostly in the Feywild. I could see them gradually moving away from the Moonsea as a living setting. But as long as it's the living setting of the AL, they won't set it into stone with a gazetteer.

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Don't forget Greyhawk. Ghosts of Saltmarsh was set in Greyhawk.
And in Tales from the Yawning Portal, too (though that had an FR adventure too and the framing device of Waterdeep). And it's been at least discussed in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

I could definitely see Greyhawk expanded as a full setting in 5e. But while we've dabbled in Greyhawk in 5e, I'd still consider it a classic setting (as opposed to Ravenloft, which I would have considered already visited prior to VRGtR since Curse of Strahd is essentially a reimagining of the original Ravenloft adventure).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Because it's the most popular D&D setting by far.
1627071468212.jpeg

Remove ads