D&D 5E What official 5E content do you want to see more of?

What official 5E content do you want to see more of?

• Adventures

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Settings

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Monsters

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Player options

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • Rules and rule variants

Votes: 43 39.8%
  • Lore

Votes: 18 16.7%

• Poll closed .

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
And how does your answer differ from what you would have said ~2-4 years ago?

Personally, I wanted more high-level monsters and more high-level adventures four years ago, but since then, Tome of Foes and Mad Mage have met those needs. Now the only thing 5E seems to be missing is a Manual of the Planes or Planescape update that cracks open the multiverse. So I guess I'll vote for Lore and Settings.

As for the other options... between Volo's Guide, Tome of Foes, Tome of Beasts, and Creature Codex, I have more than enough monsters to work with. I'm not big on crunch, either, so scratch player options and rules from the list. I could use more short adventures, though, so I'll go with adventures.

atanakar

Hero
I prefer toolkit books like Xanathar's and Volo's. This hasn't change. I rarely buy adventure or setting books. I bought Saltmarsh mostly because it has nautical rules (and because I love that series).

I would like spell jammer rules. Don't need a full spell jammer setting. An adventure book with SJ rules at the back would be nice.

Lem23

Adventurer
More subclasses and backgrounds, some new adventure paths, and setting books. They can all be combined into one book too.

I want something like a Monster Manual 2 - not more lore for existing stuff (I can do that myself pretty easily), but new and different challenges to throw at the players (because doing all that math is a pain.)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Four years ago I would have wanted more monsters. But after all the WotC stuff; Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts, Creature Codex, and (soon) Tome of Beasts 2; and Frog God Games Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Horrors, I have little interest in more monsters other than those in published adventures, tailored to those adventures.

But I also have more adventure's than I will be able to run in years. I would be interested in more one-shots and compilations like Tales from the Yawning Portal, but for the most part I am buying new adventures for lonely fun or to take parts out to put into my current campaign.

I still like setting material, but mostly to read and for inspiration. I don't have time to run multiple campaigns and my campaigns have been lasting 1-2 years and my current campaign may take over three years before we wrap it up. And when it does, I'll likely run another campaign in the same world (FGG's Lost Lands) because of my familiarity with it and the investment I've made in the books and digital resources for that setting. So why do I buy so many? Well, I like reading them. I buy them for the same reason I buy setting books based on novels, TV shows, or movies I like.

TheDelphian

Explorer
I want a big spell book.

I like the way 5th ed is not dependent on magic items but wouldn't mind seeing a half book on magic items since that can be fun and the other half be more character archetypes slash options.

The reasons being spells are a bitch to balance and a single person creating things makes it harder to see all the angles.

As adventures, campaigns etc. I like reading them but never use them preferring and needing to create my own. I don't complain about them offering them since I know many do benefit and enjoy them but they don't actually help me often. I crib stuff from them once in a while but been doing this long enough I have most bases covered in that vein.

But that is just me being selfish.

Tallifer

Hero
As I drift back to 4E, I need fewer rules from WotC, but I would still like to see more Adventures and Settings, because I can always use that stuff.

Oofta

Legend
I've always run campaigns in my own world, only using mods as inspiration. So more crunch would be fine, I can always use more monsters. Or not. I'm perfectly happy with what I've got even if they never publish anything else.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Adventures. There are DOZENS of classic modules that can be used as inspiration for more hardcover APs.

Settings. I really want Dark Sun. Greyhawk and Mystara too. Several M:tG settings would also be cool to see in D&D, especially Ixalan, Tarkir, and Zendikar.

for the purposes of this post, the Planeshift PDFs don’t count

Player Options. More subclasses are always fun, and I really like the current direction for psionics.

Last edited:

Remove ads