D&D 5E What official 5E content do you want to see more of?

What official 5E content do you want to see more of?

• Adventures

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Settings

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Monsters

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Player options

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • Rules and rule variants

Votes: 43 39.8%
  • Lore

Votes: 18 16.7%

• Poll closed .

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You literally have to be joking, so rich you've forgotten how the common man lives, or have never actually looked at the prices, making a comment like that! They cost like $1.50 each item. To buy a few hundred, like would be in a magic item book would cost you hundreds of dollars - maybe well over $400. That's an extremely expensive magic item book.

This just doesn't hold up to scrutiny of the actual pricing model. I'm also not saying a magic-items-only book would sell. But a magic items and spells book, perhaps with some feats and subclasses definitely would. And you seem to think people are just going to spend dozens to hundreds of dollars buy "a la carte" instead, to which I can only offer mystification...

They do also print them in books. And no need to get all of the items, or all at once.

teitan

Legend
So I voted rules options because I would like to see the next rules expansion include the sea faring and vehicle rules from the adventures along with new player options (don’t care about Psionics though). I’d like to see a Lore & Monster book on Undead which also has option for undead PCs.

I didn’t poke it but I’d like to see more region guides for the Forgotten Realms. I recently purchased a used FRCS and comparing it to my SCAG... time for an update but I do still love my SCAG.

Lastly a true planar book. I know some think of Mordenkainen as some sort of planar book, it’s not. I’d like to see a true Manual of the Planes. Something like Morte’s Guide to the Planes with planar PCs, new monsters and an in depth Sigil description and a couple pages on each of the planes.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I’d love to see a big book of traps and puzzles. Monsters are easy to come up with (and there are plenty of pre-built options), but traps and puzzles are thin on the ground. I checked settings in the list because I love thinking about new places for adventure.

Haven't adventures always had unique magic items in them? Back in the day you had to buy White Plume Mountain to get Wave, Whelm, and Blackrazor. Now they are in the DMG! Heck there are quite a few magic items in the DMG that used to only be in adventures. I'm all for a magic item book, but to call the current set up (regarding magic items) money-grubbing seems a bit odd since it has pretty much been standard practice from the beginning of the game.

In all other editions (certainly after 1E), you had non-adventures adding far more magic items than adventures did. All the way back to 1E you have books - often multi-purpose (i.e. they might well have setting, spells, items, etc. in one book) adding tons of stuff. Usually by quite early on in an edition there'd have been several books adding a lot of items. 2E also had the brilliant collections of items.]

In 5E, I think the only book to add a significant number of non-setting-specific items was Xanathars, and it doesn't add that many.

Whereas on Beyond I often search a fairly classic item, only to find it's in an adventure - so it's not a specific, weird item, it just happens to be in that adventure. What that does on Beyond also is prevent you from even sharing a homebrew item of the same name (and, IIRC, takes down existing homebrew items of that name). You can still create them for your own campaign of course, but that's it.

It's possible this isn't actually a dictate or whatever, it's just that the sale strategy they're using at the moment prevents there being a magic item book. Still, the reality is the same.

Given the pricing the suggestion of buying them "a la carte" is pretty Scrooge McDuck stuff.

Last edited:

Just buy the desired ones, or Homebrew away.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want a magic items or spells book, far from it, but WotC isn't being "rubbish" to pursue a strategy putting magic items in other books.

I think because they're doing it to such an extreme degree, I am entitled to call them "rubbish" (which isn't as bad an insult as "trash" is in the US, note, not even nearly - it implies weakness and pathetic-ness rather than disgusting-ness and low-ness).

You can't really "buy the desired ones", because you don't actually get to see them before you buy (also christ that price). I mean, I guess you could guess from the name but I wouldn't do it because there's like 50/50 odds they've done a dodgy implementation.

As for homebrew, well, yeah, that's what I do.

I'd have less objection if it was "other books", too - it's adventures specifically that's the issue for me. YMMV.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think because they're doing it to such an extreme degree, I am entitled to call them "rubbish" (which isn't as bad an insult as "trash" is in the US, note, not even nearly - it implies weakness and pathetic-ness rather than disgusting-ness and low-ness).

You can't really "buy the desired ones", because you don't actually get to see them before you buy (also christ that price). I mean, I guess you could guess from the name but I wouldn't do it because there's like 50/50 odds they've done a dodgy implementation.

As for homebrew, well, yeah, that's what I do.

I'd have less objection if it was "other books", too - it's adventures specifically that's the issue for me. YMMV.

Hmmm, interesting: "rubbish" sounds extremely strong to me. I think Churchill said the UK and US were two countries separated by a common language...

Thinking about the question in terms of consumer friendlines: if they put out a giant book of magic, they would either need to refer people to that book in the Adventures, as they do with DMG items and are philosophically against doing for supplements, or reprint them in Adventures...and make the Magic book worthless for people buying the Adventures. It misses some folks, but the current strategy most directly serves the broadest base.

Remove ads