• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Player Abilities Should the Game Encourage?

wrecan

First Post
In various places, it has been asked what player abilities should be encouraged, discouraged, or rewarded by the next iteration of D&D. This is a crucial question for the designers, as it sets up what players and DMs they hope to attract to the game. I have identified eight different categories of player abilities, and, on the Wizards forums, have created a poll to identify what people would like to see in their games. Note I am not asking what you want to see in the next iteration of D&D. Let's assume that the designers are going to make the game as modular as possible and open it up to as many game styles as they can. What I want to know is what you prefer when you sit down to play D&D.

Link to the discussion thread on the Wizards forum.
Link to the blog article on the Wizards forum.

You don't have to go and vote in the poll if you don't want to (though I'd appreciate it). But I am curious to know what the EnWorlders have to say about this topic. The eight categories I identified are as follows:

Optimization

Optimization is the ability to master a game system and to find the hidden synergies and build strengths that allow your character to excel at a given role. A system that encourages this behavior allows clever players to find winning scenarios, or specializations that allow their character to more easily overcome obstacles. Note that with the growth of the internet, optimization may be as easy as Googling a build that someone else has already designed. The issue is whether the system should encourage or reward system mastery, or whether it should seek to discourage such behavior.

Preparation
Preparation is the ability to anticipate future obstacles and prepare your group to better overcome them. Unlike Optimization, which happens during the character building or leveling process, Preparation occurs during the game, and usually involves the careful selection of spells (in a spell memorization system), hunting out rumors, clues, and divinations of what is to come, understanding the system so as to ensure the party is prepared for a wide variety of enemies or varying strengths or weaknesses. A system that encourages preparation may specialize in "gotcha" encounters which nullify traditional party strengths and force parties to have contingency plans. Should the game encourage or discourage this sort of adventure?

Knowing Your DM
The more discretion a DM has in crafting and resolving encounters, the more valuable it is to know how your DM thinks. Some DMs may be persuaded by emotional appeals, while other DMs may be more persuaded by hypertechnical rules discussions, and other DMs may be swayed to appeals to verisimilitude. Some players may now that their DM likes to speak in riddles, while other players have DMs who reward self-sacrifice. The more discretion the system places int he DM's hands, the more potent the ability to know your DM becomes. How much should the system reward this ability?

Knowing Your Fellow Players
Some games may encourage the ability to work with your companions intuitively base do your years of friendship, while other games may want to encourage a table of strangers playing together for the first time and having no troubles at all. How important should it be that a player know and understand how the other players at the table think, and what sort of playstyles they prefer. Should the players be required to operate as a cohesive unit, or should it allow, or even encourage, players to go their own ways?

Puzzle-Solving
Riddles are a stable of fantasy. And puzzle-like challenges are also a staple of D&D. Figuring out your encumbrance, spending one's limited funds, determining who should be on watch with whom, are just a much a puzzle in logic, as solving a sphinx's riddle. To what extent should these challenges be resolved using the character's skills and knowledge and to what extent should these challenges be resolved using the player's knowledge. For purposes of this poll, we want to know your opinion of how much weight the player's ability to think logically should factor into the game.

Strategic Gaming
Combat can often resemble a chess match. But should it? Some people enjoy the strategic aspects of combat, while other people simply want to get through it quickly and without a lot of granularity. Strategic gaming rewards strategic grandmasters, but it can alienate people who have little interest in strategy. How much strategy would you want in your game?

Lorekeeping
Complicated games involve clues that are scattered across adventures, waiting for players to find them, remember them, and then recall them at strategic moments. Related to Puzzle-Solving, Lorekeeping encourages players to immerse themselves in a world, to feel a part of it, to ferret out its hidden corners and mysteries and to treat the campaign world as a real, living place. But Lorekeeping can be a nightmare to track, can discourage casual play, and can feel like a chore without proper guidance. How much guidance should the game have? How much Lorekeeping should it include?

Aggressive Roleplay
Some games encourage players to create characters with lots of story hooks. Missing mentors, insane siblings, mysterious benefactors, can all be incorporated into the game with the expectation that the DM will incorporate these hooks into the developing plotline. However, time spent on one person's story may detract from time spent on others' stories, or on the team's ongoing challenges. How much should the game encourage, or discourage, players to pursue their own back stories and character personalities? Should the game punish such activity? Should it exalt such activity?

The polls will run for one month! Looking forward to the discussion!

Gryph

First Post
Very interesting topic. Thanks for putting this together and cross posting it here. My two cents on each of your areas:

Optimization: I feel that a system that rewards character building optimization has a tendency to gt in the way of play. A certain amount of optimization is unavoidable but I would prefer the system minimize the rewards for this behavior.

Preparation: This one is imortant to me. I consider of the cornerstones of exploration style play and I want plenty of system support in the form of spells/abilities to help with information gathering and good player and dm advice on incorporating information gathering into the game. (I want my players to read that advice).

Knowing your DM: I think this is one of those skills that some players will develop and some won't. I prefer the game system remain silent in this area.

Knowing your fellow player: D&D is mostly played as a cooperative game so I think the system should address, in the form of advice, table etiquette and party communication. Otherwise, it should allow player synergy to develop organically during play without tryng to force it and with challenges built on the expectation of its existence.

Puzzle Solving: I'd like to have lots of crunchy little bits to help the DM build puzzles, tricks and traps and lots of good examples with advice on how to change them up to keep them fresh. Puzzles, are like a good spice to me, used judiciously they make the D&D experience better. Used with a heavy or unpracticed hand they can make the experience unpalatable.

Strategic Gaming: I go back and forth on this area. I like the option of including intricate, strategivc/tactical combats. I also like the ability to present fights with lesser significance in a simpler and streamlined fashion. So I want this strongly supported but not required.

Lorekeeping: Much like "Know your DM", I think some players will do it and some will not. I'm not sure how the designers can offer meaningful guidance in this area.

Aggressive Roleplay: This is the one area I'd like to see D&D borrow from systems that offer strong mechanical support. I have houseruled in complications subsystems (similiar to Hero System). It would be interesting to see Themes come with the cost of a character complication to round out the character background space.

hanez

First Post
Odd that roleplaying or immersion in the story didnt make the list but "aggressive roleplaying" did.

Wheres the option for speaking to the king, treating npcs as more then story hooks, or finding out what the thief really want so that you can pay the ransom without bloodshed? Wheres the option for (gasp) a paladin actually acting like a paladin and being heroic (instead of arguing that they don't technically have to act like that if they don't want to).

Last edited:

Gryph

First Post
Odd that roleplaying or immersion in the story didnt make the list but "aggressive roleplaying" did.

Wheres the option for speaking to the king, treating npcs as more then story hooks, or finding out what the thief really want so that you can pay the ransom without bloodshed? Wheres the option for (gasp) a paladin actually acting like a paladin and being heroic (instead of arguing that they don't technically have to act like that if they don't want to).

I think "roleplaying" is too broad a term for this discussion. I would consider all 8 areas wrecan outlined as part of roleplaying.

To your specific scenarios; speaking to the king has elements of preparation, problem solving and know your dm. Finding out what the thief really wants is preparation and problem solving and maybe some lorekeeping. A paladin being forced to act heroically sounds like (pretty) aggressive roleplaying.

Janaxstrus

First Post
I want to encourage all of those things.

The DM should control his individual game as far as Puzzle Solving, Min-Max/Optimizing, etc.

No way of playing the game is wrong or should be penalized by the book, in my opinion. That should be left to the groups involved. If they want a heavy tactical and optimized game, AWESOME. At least they are playing. If they all want to roleplay 1 legged, blind bards who use Pantomime as their bardic skill, sure, why not.

Don't tell us that optimaization, tactics, role playing or any of the other things are badwrongfun and penalize people via the rules for them

Gryph

First Post
I want to encourage all of those things.

The DM should control his individual game as far as Puzzle Solving, Min-Max/Optimizing, etc.

No way of playing the game is wrong or should be penalized by the book, in my opinion. That should be left to the groups involved. If they want a heavy tactical and optimized game, AWESOME. At least they are playing. If they all want to roleplay 1 legged, blind bards who use Pantomime as their bardic skill, sure, why not.

Don't tell us that optimaization, tactics, role playing or any of the other things are badwrongfun and penalize people via the rules for them

Isn't there a difference between not rewarding and penalizing?

And Savage Wombat I would XP you but must spread etc.

Last edited:

Janaxstrus

First Post
Isn't there a difference between not rewarding and penalizing?

One of the choices is "Should Be Punished", so yes...I think they do distinguish between the 2, and in fact go so far as to give the option to actively discourage via penalties. (in the poll, not saying they've done this in 5e)

Gryph

First Post
One of the choices is "Should Be Punished", so yes...I think they do distinguish between the 2, and in fact go so far as to give the option to actively discourage via penalties. (in the poll, not saying they've done this in 5e)

D'oh, so it is. Nothing to see here, move along folks. :blush:

wrecan

First Post
To clarify, I am not a developer of 5e and am not an employee of Wizards or Hasbro. I've freelanced for them in the past, but this thread and accompanying polls are entirely my own.

Remove ads