What programming/tools should I learn?

Errant

First Post
I have an idea for a program...

What I'd like to do is put something together that lets me combine a selection of tables & randomly combine one entry from each table so as to produce a random sentence, paragraph, or description.

That way I can combine things like height, weight, appearance, & mannerism adjectives to create random NPC descriptions & so forth.

Unfortunately, my programming skills are virtually non-existant, so I need to learn a programming language or tool of some sort.

Can anyone give me any suggestions so I don't have to waste my time experimentating?

Errant

First Post
Excell can combine inserts from the tables into a line of text? I had no idea. I guess thats obvious though.

Thanks CRG. Any suggestions on a book that'll help me master Excell?

Luke

Explorer
Errant said:
Can anyone give me any suggestions so I don't have to waste my time experimentating?

If you developed this application, along with other excellent features, and a scripting language that made it very, very flexible, you would have...

"TableSmith", by Bruce Gulke.

It does all this, provides you with some 300+ generators, and allows you to create your own.

Regards,

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Errant said:
Excell can combine inserts from the tables into a line of text? I had no idea. I guess thats obvious though.

Thanks CRG. Any suggestions on a book that'll help me master Excell?

If you think you can learn a very basic scripting language, go with TableSmith. If not, use Excel - just type:

Code:
------------------------------------
| 1 | Clumsy    | Tall              |
| 2 | Excitable | Thin             |
| 3 | Surly       | Overweight |
etc.

Once this is done, someone with basic Excel knowledge can turn this into a generator in a few minutes (so you don't have to learn anything).

Errant

First Post
Thanks folks, I'll have a play around with TableSmith first (since that seem custom built for my goal, at first glance anyway) & then Excell if I don't like TableSmith.

Colour me appreciative :D

Remove ads