What programs do you use when playing on-line?

I just stopped to look, since my character in our low-level AD&D1e campaign is busy doing funerals for villagers. I have:
  • Three web browser tabs: our Discord for voice, our Roll 20, for maps, and Google Docs for the party loot.
  • A spreadsheet with the master copy of my character, his customised spell list and his notes.
  • PDFs with the campaign log, and the PHB.
John

If I run Discord in a web browser (instead of the client app), I actually use a different browser than what Roll20 is running in. This way, if something goes pear-shaped in one I can close and reopen the browser and not lose both sessions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The online game I'm in uses exactly the same setup as the OP: Discord* for voice, Roll20 for maps and dice, Google Docs for party treasury. A fourth tab could be for the campaign logs if needed; they're online too.

* - though somewhat to my annoyance I have to use the Discord app, the online version kept crashing.

My character sheets (plural for one character!) are a hard-copy and a Word doc, with the Word doc being more up to date in some ways but less complete in others than the paper version. My PC's spell write-ups are another Word doc, that campaign's spells aren't online yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Zoom, basically. Roll20 if we need a battlemap. But Zoom does the heavy lifting. You can sit there with a character sheet and dice just like in real life.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Discord for voice, Roll20 for visuals, and D&D Beyond with the Beyond20 Chrome extension to run characters / monsters out of.

Nytmare

David Jose
We're playing a text only narrative RPG.

Slack - Conversation, scheduling, game play, and die roller
Google Sheets - Character maker, character sheets, and the virtual game table
Google Site - Rules

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Roll20 - for, well, you can guess

Teamspeak - been using the same teamspeak server for, well, a decade over various things? Great voice quality, nice tools for admin, and one of the extended group (not a roleplayer, though) springs for a private server. This gets used for all kinds of games across a pretty broad group, but only about 5-6 of us use it for RPGs.

OneNote - for the campaign notes/ideas. My Blades in the Dark campaign is one page, but my D&D game has pages for each character and a number of other ones for Sigil/factions/significant NPCs, and then a separate one for the campaign log, which is really just some scribbled (typed?) notes on stuff that doesn't end up attached to a PC.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Google meet for video, voice, and screen sharing.

One of our younger players I'm DMing for either has preternatural luck with the online die roller from wizards, or is cheating. I might try Roll Dice With Friends this week.

Remove ads