D&D 5E What races do you expect to see in the core books?

Yaarel

He Mage
They also usurped the name of the Eladrin that had been in the game in 2e and 3e, which is problematic both for player confusion and in-setting continuity.

I wouldn't be averse to keeping the 4e "eladrin" in 5e, but it needs a different name altogether, especially if they're seemingly going back to the Great Wheel cosmology.
The term ‘Elf’ needs to be for a family of races, not a specific race.

Then the ‘Sylvan’ Elf race can have high Dexterity and correspond to the classic D&D Elf archetypes. Meanwhile the ‘Celestial’ Elf race can have high Charisma and correspond to the 4e Eladrin archetypes. (Compare how ‘Dragon’ entry is a family of races that divides into ‘Metallic’ and ‘Chromatic’, even ‘Gem’ and so on.)

SYLVAN ELF
Wood Elf (Dexterity Wisdom)
High Elf (Dexterity Intelligence)
Wild Elf, ‘Grugach’ (Dexterity Strength)

CELESTIAL ELF
Sun Elf (Charisma Intelligence)
Moon Elf (Charisma Wisdom)

That said, I notice, the 2e Eladrin from the Monstrous Compendium corresponds closely to each kind of Elf.

SYLVAN ELF
Wood Elf (Dexterity Wisdom) ≈ Shiere
High Elf (Dexterity Intelligence) ≈ Ghaele
Wild Elf, Grugach (Dexterity Strength) ≈ Bralani

CELESTIAL ELF
Sun Elf (Charisma Intelligence) ≈ Tulani
Moon Elf (Charisma Wisdom) ≈ Noviere
(?) Star Elf (Charisma Strength) ≈ Firre

SPRITE
Pixie (Dexterity Charisma) ≈ Coure

zoroaster100

First Post
I'm currently running a fourth edition game and have been for some time. My players' party right now includes a Halfling, a dragonborn, a tiefling and a kalashtar. So if I am to transition to 5th edition to give it a try, I hope they give me at least the all the fourth edition races from the PHB in the 5e PHB.

delericho

Legend
I expect to see Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-elves, Half-orcs, Dragonborn, and Tieflings - that is, all the races from all the PHB(1) volumes from all the editions.

I half-expect we may see Kender and Warforged added to that list, though I think that's a mistake. Both because those are going to be especially divisive choices, but also because a Dragonlance campaign 'needs' Minotaurs as well and an Eberron 'needs' Shifters, Kalashtar, and Changelings as well. So adding one setting-specific race just causes problems, without actually being enough for fans of the relevant settings anyway.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Has anyone ever gotten confused by the name Eladrin?

Confused why it appears in a list of PC races? Yes.

Confused why, after 30-ish years, someone felt the need to use some made up word for a race of more magiky/"extra elfy"/the Elf formerly known as "Grey"? Yes.

Yes. I [and I don't think I'm the only one] have been confused by the inordinately poorly chosen and completely unnecessarily applied name "Eladrin."

Dausuul

Legend
I'd like to just see the Tolkien races. Anything else gets some people cranky.

Whereas the Tolkien races make me cranky*, so what are you gonna do? :)

I expect they will be following the model they laid out a while ago, where dwarves, elves, and halflings are presented as standard, and tieflings, gnomes, dragonborn, and half-orcs (and perhaps others) are presented as optional races available at the DM's discretion.

[SIZE=-2]*Seriously, they do. Come on, guys, it's not 1974 any more. Fantasy fiction moved past slavish imitation of J.R.R. Tolkien a long time ago. Why do we have to have these tired old retreads pushed on us in every PHB and jammed into every published setting? I know it's futile to complain, the elf/dwarf/halfling trio is the sacredest of cows and will never be touched, but a man can dream.[/SIZE]

Remove ads