D&D 5E What races do you expect to see in the core books?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
What races are you expecting to see in the core books? Do you think we will see much beyond the core five; humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, and halflings? Do you think they will place the other races such as drow, half-orcs, and gnomes into other books?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm expecting to see humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, half-elves, and half-orcs.

Those seem to be the "classic" races, as they were all in First, Second, and Third Editions (save for the half-orc being ignored in the 2E PHB). PC racial information for other races can, in my opinion, be listed elsewhere (one caveat to that is if said information can be easily listed for certain monsters in the Monster Manual, e.g. goblins, full-blooded orcs, etc., then that'd technically count as being in a "Core book").

Kinak

First Post
Well, their class approach is trying to get everything that's appeared in a PHB1 into the 5e PHB.

So, applying that to races, I'd expect human, elf, dwarf, half-elf, half-orc, gnome, halfling, tiefling, and dragonborn.

Cheers!
Kinak

like the play test I excpect basic races humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings.

then advanced/optional races Drow Dragonborn half elf half orc teifling and maybe one or two more (please no kender in core)

the Jester

Legend
I expect- and hope- that they're still planning on getting everything from a PH1 into the PH.

In which case: dwarf, elf, half-elf, halfling, half-orc, gnome, tiefling, human and dragonborn.

I'd like to just see the Tolkien races. Anything else gets some people cranky.

I would like to see gnomes, tieflings, dragonborn, half-orcs and other such races in a non-core book. But I doubt that will happen. Leaving out races makes some cranky too.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I expect that the following races from the D&D Next Playtest to be;

Dwarf________Core Book
Elf___________Core Book
Halfling_______Core Book
Human_______Core book
Dragonborn___Core or Setting Book (Dragonlance)
Drow_________Setting Book (Forgotten Realms)
Gnome_______Core Book
Half-Elf_______Core Book
Half-Orc______Core Book
Kender_______Setting Book (Dragonlance)
Tiefling_______Core or Setting Book (Planescape)
Warforged____Setting Book (Eberron)

Shemeska

Adventurer
If they include tieflings, but model them on 4e tieflings rather than the very different 2e/3e tieflings, I'll be cranky.

If they include dragonborn but don't also include aasimar, I'll be cranky.

It's probably best to only include the classic races: human, elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome, half-elf, half-orc.

Argyle King

Legend
Well, their class approach is trying to get everything that's appeared in a PHB1 into the 5e PHB.

So, applying that to races, I'd expect human, elf, dwarf, half-elf, half-orc, gnome, halfling, tiefling, and dragonborn.

Cheers!
Kinak

I agree with this.

Though I am curious what the 5E view for Tieflings will be since the 4E PHB style Tieflings were a departure from the style of Tieflings which had come before.

If it were me, I'd simply say the 4E style Tieflings (and the ones which would be in the PHB) were from a specific bloodline tied to the specific pact made by that bloodline many generations ago; hence the more uniform appearance to that style of Tiefling. That allows to have both styles while acknowledging that they aren't the same thing -despite sharing a common name. "Tiefling" could be the broad category; more 'scientific' names would refer to specific types of Tieflings.

Johnny Champion

First Post
I expect that the following races from the D&D Next Playtest to be;

Dwarf________Core Book
Elf___________Core Book
Halfling_______Core Book
Human_______Core book
Dragonborn___Core or Setting Book (Dragonlance)
Drow_________Setting Book (Forgotten Realms)
Gnome_______Core Book
Half-Elf_______Core Book
Half-Orc______Core Book
Kender_______Setting Book (Dragonlance)
Tiefling_______Core or Setting Book (Planescape)
Warforged____Setting Book (Eberron)

I hate limiting options for those that have experiences with what I consider 'Non-Core' races. That being said, this list above would be my preference for what is considered 'Core'. I still would want to see all of them, 'Core' and 'Non-Core', in the PHB. However, I rather see the 'Core' races listed first denoted as such, and then invoke the modular approach WoTC has been preaching, to take hold in the PHB. List the 'Non-core' as OPTIONAL in a clearly defined subsequent section right after the 'Core'. Then say a few nice words to make sure they don't piss off both sets of players and do the same thing for Classes.

Remove ads