D&D General Who would you pick as the most iconic deities in the D&D game?

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
St. Cuthbert was a pretty big deal back in the day. He even had an artifact named after him. I'm not sure he fares quite as well these days among players. They've probably got more Raven Queen in their heads thanks to Critical Role.
Does the Raven Queen count as iconic these days? I do think she's one of the more interesting D&D death deities (alliteration for the win!), although she probably loses out to Orcus if we're counting him as a deity.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Garl is iconic in the sense that he represents the iconic D&D stereotype of a gnomish illusionist. Another gnomish deity would be Nebelun, deity of invention. In fact, given the strong association between gnomes and tinkers in many player's minds, Nebelun might actually be more iconic than Garl.
Is Nebulen a Forgotten Realms god? I have played a gnome wizard since the Obama administration and don't know that name.

TheSword

Legend
Bane is definitely up there. He featured in Curse of Strahd and is probably the most consistently antagonistic god of the Forgotten Realms.

I’d also include Tyr as his opposite - also overlapping with the Norse god.

Lathander is archetypal in the FR as well.

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
Is Nebulen a Forgotten Realms god? I have played a gnome wizard since the Obama administration and don't know that name.
Nebelun is a gnomish lesser god from the setting-agnostic sourcebook, "Monster Mythology," a feminine aspect of whom is mentioned in "Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes." Gond is Nebelun's stand-in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
This is the first time I am seeing anyone acknowledging the existence of Bahamut.
Among other things, Bahamut, a.k.a. Paladine, a.k.a. Fizban, is the creator of the first dragonborn species mentioned in any D&D product; the fictional author of "Fizban's Treasury of Dragons;" and the twin brother of Tiamat. He's also one of the most prominent gods of Krynn, and he temporarily took Tyr's place as the god of justice in the Forgotten Realms.

TheSword

Legend
Among other things, Bahamut, a.k.a. Paladine, a.k.a. Fizban, is the creator of the first dragonborn species mentioned in any D&D product; the fictional author of "Fizban's Treasury of Dragons;" and the twin brother of Tiamat. He's also one of the most prominent gods of Krynn, and he temporarily took Tyr's place as the god of justice in the Forgotten Realms.
Also in the final fantasy series. Cross dimensional!

Remove ads