D&D 5E Players, would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

Would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

• Yes

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 19.2%

Yaarel

He Mage
A fairly simple question.

As a player, would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

Only the races and subraces in the SRD. Hill dwarf, high elf, lightfoot halfling, standard human, dragonborn, rock gnome, half-elf, half-orc, and tiefling. No others.

Only the classes and subclasses in the SRD. No artificer, only the base 12 classes. Only berserker barbarian, college of lore bard, life cleric, circle of land druid, champion fighter, open hand monk, devotion paladin, hunter ranger, thief rogue, draconic sorcerer, fiend warlock, and evocation wizard. None of the other subclasses.

One background or a custom build your own. One feat and no others. Only the spells from the SRD. Etc.

Would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?
I probably wouldnt run a bare-bones game like SRD only. But if my friend was, then sure I would play in it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
On the face of it I'd have no issues playing 5.1 SRD only, just like I'd have no problems playing Basic Rules either if that's what the DM wanted to run and had a cool reason why.

My main initial question though to the DM before starting would be why they are making the restriction? Is there a campaign or story reason why only those choices were being offered? Is it just a money situation where the DM only owns the downloadable SRD and doesn't want to buy the PHB? Because honestly I have to imagine that whatever campaign idea the DM has come up with, there are probably more applicable subclasses for said campaign than the baseline ones in the SRD. And given the choice I'd much rather choose and play one that fits the world we are campaigning in and the advancement of who my character is becoming than just taking the arbitrary single SRD choice if there isn't a firm reason why that it all that is available.

Give me a creative (or financial) reason why the SRD is the only option and I'd be happy to go along with it. But if the response is something just like "Ah, I can't be bothered with other stuff..." that tells me more about the kind of DM that person is and I might be less inclined to get involved in a long-term campaign they want to run.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I certainly don’t prefer to play with that limited a list of options. But, at this point, I just want to play. My current group consists of 3 12 year olds with me as the de facto DM. So if anybody came along and asked me to play in their group, well …… beggars can’t be choosers.

Remove ads