D&D 5E Players, would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

Would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

• Yes

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 19.2%

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’d play as a player with just the SRD content, and in fact have played such a campaign before. It was a lot of fun. Played a High Elf Moon Druid in that campaign.

I’m not sure I’d care to DM a SRD campaign however, as I love using homebrew monsters and Magic items way too much.

Yaarel

He Mage
A friend of mine wanted to run a 3e game. Heh, I realized I would only play 3e if there are cantrips. It is a magical flavor concern that I insist on. But he hated cantrips. With serious negotiation we found a win-win. The Cleric character that "revered light", had as a weapon something moreorless like the energy of bow of the Ranger in the D&D cartoon. The stats for the bow were identical normal bows, except there were an unlimited number of arrows, and the arrows themselves were made of "sunlight" for corner situations where that might matter. It was enough of an ordinary bow that he was satisfied, and it was magical enough that I was satisfied. It was an enjoyable campaign.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i feel like while yes, i could play in one, i wouldn't be hugely enthusiastic to actually do so for an extended period of time, some of the options there aren't exactly the most engaging choices either, champion fighter, hunter ranger, life cleric, thief rogue...

plus only one feat? no thanks, half my builds revolve around the customisation i can get from different feats they can take.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Give me a creative (or financial) reason why the SRD is the only option and I'd be happy to go along with it. But if the response is something just like "Ah, I can't be bothered with other stuff..." that tells me more about the kind of DM that person is and I might be less inclined to get involved in a long-term campaign they want to run.
I can think of some reasons. The SRD is free. It is in multiple languages. It will remain the only longterm "in print" version of the original 5e which is important for those who don't want to move on to the next not-edition. Plus, each of the subclasses is the most iconic.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Absolutely, assuming everything else about the campaign (ie the players and DM) is good.

Imo only the Barbarian is actively bad in the SRD (due to the Berserker being a poor subclass) although the Fighter (champion) is boring for most players (although perfect for your cousin who's only gonna join for one session and has never played before).

My favorite 5E character was a half-elf Lore bard who would be perfectly playable under the SRD with just a few spell choice changes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A fairly simple question.

As a player, would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?

Only the races and subraces in the SRD. Hill dwarf, high elf, lightfoot halfling, standard human, dragonborn, rock gnome, half-elf, half-orc, and tiefling. No others.

Only the classes and subclasses in the SRD. No artificer, only the base 12 classes. Only berserker barbarian, college of lore bard, life cleric, circle of land druid, champion fighter, open hand monk, devotion paladin, hunter ranger, thief rogue, draconic sorcerer, fiend warlock, and evocation wizard. None of the other subclasses.

One background or a custom build your own. One feat and no others. Only the spells from the SRD. Etc.

Would you play in a game that only used the 5.1 SRD?
I voted no, but mostly because it would be a “not unless there was a good reason and not just bc”

Remove ads