D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The action taken was 'standing as still as possible'. That is 'an action' because when the player's turn came, they said that is what they did. They didn't run, they didn't draw a weapon, they didn't hum a tune... they attempted to make less noise by standing as still as possible.

Again...

1) Player is invisible
2) DM: 'What do you do?'
3) Player: 'I stand as still as possible'

Do you honestly rule this as the player not trying to take the Hide action?

If so, what do you rule they did with that action instead?

And why?

You know this is a gargoyle and not a PC, right?

And, as I already told you - this wasn't a scenario I proposed. Go bug Oofta about it if you want to nitpick. You've already been a prick about it to me, so I don't have any desire to discuss it with you.

Good day.

Hussar

Legend
Silence targets a point in range, not an object. Based on that, I wouldn't let anything besides a fixed point in space be the target of a silence spell.

But, for the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter. The silence spell is a 20 foot radius. That's more than enough space for our warlock to move around and be completely undetectable. Again, a simple silence spell and I'm invincible? I don't think that's a good idea.

Hussar

Legend
You know this is a gargoyle and not a PC, right?

And, as I already told you - this wasn't a scenario I proposed. Go bug Oofta about it if you want to nitpick. You've already been a prick about it to me, so I don't have any desire to discuss it with you.

Good day.

But, Caliban, he's bringing up largely the same point I made. How do you, outside of combat so that action economy isn't an issue, become hidden without satisfying the requirements of a hide action?

Like I said before, it's no different than the player saying he wants to convince the guard of something, thus we make a Persuasion check, even though the player hasn't specifically taken the "persuasion action".

So, can you describe a way a character is attempting to be unnoticed that doesn't satisfy the description of taking a hide action?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
But, for the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter. The silence spell is a 20 foot radius. That's more than enough space for our warlock to move around and be completely undetectable. Again, a simple silence spell and I'm invincible? I don't think that's a good idea.

Sure a simple Silence...and a Darkness spell...and a specific warlock invocation..and cooperation between a warlock and a cleric...and leaving everyone except the warlock unable to detect ANYTHING inside the area of darkness and silence. It's so simple!

If the PC's are going to devote sufficient resources to it and eliminate the ability to detect anyone (on either side!) except for those individuals with Devil's Sight or Blindsight or a similar ability...sure, why not? It's not something they're going to want to (or even be able to) do in every fight. And it could easily backfire on them, if they don't realize they are fighting creatures that all have blindsight or AOE attacks.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
But, Caliban, he's bringing up largely the same point I made. How do you, outside of combat so that action economy isn't an issue, become hidden without satisfying the requirements of a hide action?

Like I said before, it's no different than the player saying he wants to convince the guard of something, thus we make a Persuasion check, even though the player hasn't specifically taken the "persuasion action".

So, can you describe a way a character is attempting to be unnoticed that doesn't satisfy the description of taking a hide action?

Why, when I'm clearly annoyed about something and have plainly stated I don't want to discuss the issue anymore, do people like you just :):):):)ing refuse to do me that simple courtesy and start demanding answers like I owe them something? In case you haven't noticed, I can be pretty condescending and rude when I get annoyed by someone. Me trying to end the conversation is my attempt to stop before that point. But hey, keep poking the bear, I'm sure this time will be different.

Let me clue you in on something, since you insist on pestering me about this. I was never talking about non-combat hiding! I was giving a quick answer from work, so may not have gotten all the nuances of the original scenario. My understanding was the gargoyle was fleeing combat, and didn't have time to take the hide action (i.e move+dash, or drink potion of invis+move, etc), but was using their racial ability of staying really still and resembling a statue - which doesn't have an action listed, and is really the opposite of taking an action. In the specific case of Gargoyles, not PC's.

If you thought I was specifically addressing non-combat hiding, you were sorely mistaken, so demanding that I justify a scenario I wasn't talking about is just...really not very bright. And continuing to interrogate me about it after I've said I don't want to discuss it anymore is just plain rude. From both of you and schnee.

My final answer to your demand that I describe a scenario for attempting to remain unnoticed that doesn't involve the hide action when outside of combat has two parts:

A) Why are you demanding answers from me instead of Oofta, the guy who proposed the scenario? See my rant above for more details.

B) If you aren't in combat and aren't worrying about action economy - what does it matter? You aren't tracking actions in six second intervals. The question is meaningless.

Last edited:

CheezyRamen

First Post
Here's something I see people get wrong sometimes:
A turn is not a round and a round is not a turn. There are multiple turns in a round.
I thought there were 10 rounds in a turn, 6 turns in a minute. I woulda swore by this but in an earlier game a player refuted it and I didn't know where I had seen it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I thought there were 10 rounds in a turn, 6 turns in a minute. I woulda swore by this but in an earlier game a player refuted it and I didn't know where I had seen it.

Just to be clear:

A round is 6 seconds. There are 10 rounds in a minute.

Each creature in the combat has one turn each round - so the number of turns is equal to the number of creatures involved in the combat, but each turn takes six seconds, since they are theoretically all happening at the same time.

This is important because some abilities can only happen be used once per turn, but can potentially be used more than once per round if you can use them on another creature's turn. (Sneak Attack is a prime example of this - it can be used once per turn, but a rogue can sneak attack on their turn and potentially a second time if they get a Opp Attack that qualifies, or if a Battlemaster grants them a second attack, etc.)

Remove ads