• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What Rules Do You Want to See in 4E?

The first INVIOLATE rule of 4e - UPON PAIN OF HORRIFIC DEATH - is there will be no discussion of 5E until the official announcement is made, "We're formally working on a 5th Edition". Beyond that I couldn't care less.

Corinth

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I'd like to see a reduction in the use of magic items, and also a class bonus to Defense. Competent heroes are a wonderful thing; Christmas trees, not so much.
This idea fails. After 30+ years, and expressions in multiple media, any RPG that doesn't let the bling flow freely will fail as a commercial endeavor. It's as much about the gear as the powers.

Corinth said:
This idea fails. After 30+ years, and expressions in multiple media, any RPG that doesn't let the bling flow freely will fail as a commercial endeavor. It's as much about the gear as the powers.

I always end up aiming for the minority :(

Actually I think if WotC had put out something wonderful like Iron Heroes they would have done well.

Pickaxe

Explorer
KarinsDad said:
I'd also like to see damage affecting combat ability.

A 200 hit point high level Fighter seriously damaged with 1 hit point left fights just as well as when he had 200 hit points.

I like the concept of being at -1 at 25% damaged, -2 at 50% damaged, -3 at 75% damaged, and -4 at 0 or below (or some such). This would require writing down four hit point numbers instead of one (e.g. 200/150/100/50) though. Even a simplified system of -2 at 50% damaged and -4 at zero is better than super Fighter at 1 hit point.

As Campbell alludes to, this makes "first strike" extremely important. The first side to do significant damage makes it that much harder for the other side to do the same.

One way to balance this might be to include fatigue in combat, a la the "clix
'games".

--Axe

Pickaxe

Explorer
KarinsDad said:
Another thing is the concept of one round and one minute per level spells.

At low level, they are basically worthless (e.g. Summon Monster I).

Even one minute per level spells rarely make it from one combat to the next until at least 10th level or so.

Have decent durations for most spells.

Of course, one minute per level spells are great for wands and scrolls, since they last about as long a s acombat even at low caster levels.

Which of course is probably another reason to change them.

--Axe

Nail

First Post
As I was thinking on this, it occured to me that both magic systems in 3.xe (Spell slots and Psionic Points) should probably be chucked completely, and replaced with a system that allows you to do minor powers X times per encounter, and major powers X times per day. That would mimic far more closely what we see in movies and read in fantasy books.

..and it would be cooler. :cool:

It's clear the designers are already toying with these ideas (Warlock being the first foray into the area, reserve feats going even further, etc).

Eloi

First Post
I'd like to see both X-per day Major effects and X-per encounter Minor effects, as Nail suggested.

I'd also like to see some point-buy made available, so people can shore up their weak points. I can specifically recall one player (without naming them) who can't seem to roll over 40% of their HD when it comes time for that crucial roll ( can't break a 4 on a d10, etc. ), and if there was a way to help protect them from this tendency by spending a few points with foresight, I'd be all for it.

I would like to see an end to "dead", non-feat-gaining levels. Every level should be a level where something neat is made more possible and available, something tantalizing.

hong

WotC's bitch
Eloi said:
I'd also like to see some point-buy made available, so people can shore up their weak points.
Hell, just get rid of the weak points. Iron Heroes gives everyone the equivalent of d8 to d12 hit points, BAB ranging from level x 3/4 to level x 5/4, and all good saves (bonus = level), and nobody ever complained that IH characters all look the same.

glass

(he, him)
bestone said:
You are very abbrasive. I take high offence to this. No you dont have to agree with my opinion. But this is just a ridiculous statement!
EDIT: Never mind. Don't want to argue with a mod.

glass.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads