What Rules have you fixed for your game?

harmyn

First Post
Turanil said:
Same for me.

In addition I hate the economics sytem presented in D&D. I find it grotesque and totally unrealistic. I would like to change that, but it's too much work and would require too much research and thinking. So I just divided all magic stuff costs (in gp, but not in XP) by 10, while treasure are also typically only 10% to 20% of what they usually are in D&D adventures.

Don't get me started on the freaking economic system.

What is one of the most common types of magic items found in adventures and on npc's?
Weapons.

What is consistently one of the most expensive items in the game?
Weapons.

Why did they do this in 3rd and 3.5? And while were at it did they take their brains out to lunch on the rest of the stuff too? Players want magic, heck the rules require it and is built around the consumption and hording of it. BUT that chart of player wealth and what all you can go out and get if you use their guidelines can become truly insane.

And thanks for making those Rings of Sustenance so cheap. At least we can gloss over those pesky parts of the game that deal with characters actually interacting in the world in a common, yet sensible, way. And that is why they are hard to come by in my game. And not a super fan of the Hat of Disguise for the same reason.

Low level spells? yes they are. But if you have creative players who want to do something other than beating up bug-eyed monsters and looting them (or heck if they want to and have a creative brain) that cheap little illusion can be quite powerful.

Sorry for the digression and rant, but I feel better getting that off my chest.

Storyteller01

First Post
Modified the Iaijutsu rules from OA. IMC, you can use a skill called Sniper Focus. Operates in the same manner as IF (must be a surprise round, opponent must lose their Dex bonus, etc), but it can be used with ranged weapons , with no range limit beyond that of the weapon used. You lose your Dex bonus to AC while using this skill.

It doesn't stack with sneak attack damage. I allow this as a class skill for rangers and rogues.

sfedi

First Post
My changes

-bumped up medium armors (they were useless)
-improved the Aid spell
-nerfed the buckler, so the small shield is actually worth using
-imrpoved the Death Knell spell
-made all movement enhancement bonuses the same type, so they do not stack
(barbarians, haste, expeditious retreat, etc.)
-changed duration of rage's penalty to: "as long as it has been used"
-clarified that a bard's song's effect lasts for 5 rounds after it stops
-Fight Defensively and Expertise aren't cumulative
-Inflict spells do more damage (to make the spells usable)
-gave humans more points to buy stats, to even out with non-human races
-allow casters to cast at lower caster level (this is VERY subtle, and mostly for consistency)
-first hit die gives full hit points to ALL creatures, not just PCs (no more 1 hp orcs)
-made rules for pushing doors open, and holding them shut
-made rules for carrying equipment (how many swords can you carry? etc.)
-increased skill points to a minimum of 4 for all classes
-made skill points dependent on differente stats, not only Int, but then, these points aren't usefull to pay every skill
-reduced cost of Materwork Thrown Weapons (for Thrown purposes only) to 1/5 th
-gave crossbows and short bows and intrinsic +2 Focus Bonus
-made an option that you can take a full round action and gain a +2 to your attack. No multiple attacks allowed though. Useful for low level characters who have a move action "wasted" when meleeing.

Spade4u

First Post
time tells

as the dm, i wish (sometimes) to speed up time. sometimes i only have a cuople days to play D&D, so instead of waiting 5 days for the repair of a handcart, just speed it up. i changed countless other things too.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
  • Power Attack with a double-gripped weapon deals x1.5 extra damage, not x2. Power Attack with a light weapon deals x0.5 extra damage instead of no extra damage.
  • Death and dying. Characters cannot fall into negative HPs; instead, at 0, roll d%. A roll of 1-10 results in being stable and conscious, but disabled. 11-90 means unconsciousness and dying. 91-100 means dead. Each round, the character must roll again until a result of either "stable" or "dead" comes up; but each round, the chances shift towards death by 1%, so after three rounds of bleeding to death, a character's chance of stabilizing would be 1-7%; of continuing to bleed to death, 8-87%; and of dying, 88-100%. Taking damage while dying calls for an immediate Fort save vs. death and shifts the percentage chances towards death by the ammount of damage taken.
  • Two-Weapon Fighting. Attacking with two weapons no longer grants an extra number of attacks -- instead, you just make one attack roll, and if it's enough to hit with both weapons, you deal damage with both weapons. The advantages: you no longer need to use a full attack action to fight with two weapons, so you still move and deal your best damage; it's easier for a two-weapon fighter to overcome DR; and there are no more Improved/Greater/Superior/Perfect feats needed to make multiple off-hand attacks. Disadvantages: you no longer get to target multiple foes with one attack or use off-hand attacks for extra parries, disarms, trips, sneak attacks, etc.
  • Improved Two-Weapon Fighting requires BAB +3 and has the effect of reducing the 2WF penalties by -2 when using a non-light off-hand weapon (cp. a character with a double-sword buying Exotic Weapon Proficiency at BAB +1). Also, when fighting with two weapons, characters with this feat receive a +1 bonus to disarm checks.
  • When characters level up, they roll two hit dice and take the higher result.

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
Forgot about this one...

Characters don't take an exp hit when taking levels in a non-favored class. Instead, characters gain an extra skill point when they take a level in their favored class.

Any race with 'any' listed as a favored class have to pick one at 1st level. Humans are exempt from this ruling (they retain their extra skill point per level).

So a human wizard is equal to an elf wizard of the same level (not bad, given that the elf has a few hundred years on him...), but the human's adaptibility puts them ahead of the game in other areas.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
Characters don't take an exp hit when taking levels in a non-favored class. Instead, characters gain an extra skill point when they take a level in their favored class.

I like this, but I'd boost the Human's bonus to 2 per level, to protect their advantage.

Storyteller01 said:
Any race with 'any' listed as a favored class have to pick one at 1st level. Humans are exempt from this ruling (they retain their extra skill point per level).

I like it. I think I'll apply this to the Favored Gestalts in my game.

Remove ads