• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Scares You?

ghettognome

First Post
Big warehouses, (noise and shadows are amplified and size overwhelming, worse than claustophobia), Water Towers ( you never know when one is going to burst,) which leads to drowning.

Spiders and Centipedes. *shudders*

A good scary thing in gaming is when the DM explains with chilling detail something and then has a picture (and not one from the monsters manual) to go along with it.

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
I probly wasn't alive, but I've heard about that Gypsy Moth Catepillar thing. How large of an area did that affect (effect?)? Cause there are trees in my Neighborhood with brown spots where people put Aluminum foil (or somethin' like that) around 'em to stop the bugs.

But my two big fears are: Alien Abduction

and Mental problems. I'm not athletic or good looking or anything really but smart and funny (not to be arrogant, just goin on what my friends tell me) and and I'm only funny because I can think fast. So if ever anything messed up my brain, I'd be completely useless, and that scares the crap out of me.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Since everyones talking about the natural world here, you know what's really scary... that goshed darned flesh eating virus. NOW THAT is some creepy schtuff right there.

~Sheri

snak

First Post
Djeta Thernadier said:
Since everyones talking about the natural world here, you know what's really scary... that goshed darned flesh eating virus. NOW THAT is some creepy schtuff right there.

~Sheri

In game terms: Contagion creeps me out. Take the zombie rot ala' Resident Evil or George Romero films like the Crazies or Night of the Living Dead.

An example could be a fight with Zombo's, anyone that takes damage must make a fort save or risk becoming flesh eating zombie. Now it is a race against time to find a cure.

Hand out tiny slips of paper to all players, only one has "INFECTED" writen on it. Watch the roleplaying as the contaminated Cleric starts gnawing on the Sorcerers familiar.

IRL: Contagion. I live and work in Princeton, NJ. I Work in a coffee shop 1/2 block from the post office drop box where the FBI thinks the Anthrax letters we initailly sent. We get hundreds of customers each day. The thought that one of them might have been the mailer freaks me out.

Sometime I wonder if would he/she have been a friendly, jerky, or non-descript customer? Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of people?"

Last edited:

orbitalfreak

First Post
What scares me?

Spiders:
Spiders, for every reason mentioned above by Henry. That unnatural precision with which they move is horrendous. To add to the fear, I was invenomated by a black widow before (note: not bitten). I was splitting firewood, and the wood blocks from this particular tree had become home to a black widow whose young had hatched and set up a colony. I smushed a few of the buggers here and there, when I saw them, but one managed to crawl its way onto my arm. I saw it, and squashed it while squealing like a little girl, and happened to somehow smash some venom into an open cut. The next day, my lower arm swelled to twice normal size. Luckilly there were no major side effects; I didn't bother going to have it treated, even.

Rotting?:
Someone mentioned gangrene, and watching parts of your body die and rot away. While not on a massive scale, one time I developed an infection in a cut on my finger after an auto accident. Overnight, the end of my finger swelled to three times its normal size and developed a most unpleasent smell, not unlike that of a dumpster filled with week-old organic matter. Had to go to the doctor immediately, where they cut and scraped out all the dead flesh, leaving me with a nasty scar. So, while rotting away is unpleasent, it isn't scary to me, at least when it's on a small scale.

Ghosts:
For many years, a ghost had lived in our house (it moved out several years ago, and we haven't seen it since then). It always creeped me out to see its shadow sliding along the walls, as it moved down the hall to the bedrooms or up to the kitchen. It was a benign being, though; not only did it not do anything harmful, it chose to not interfere in any way, good or bad.

I did have a bad experience with another member of the spirit world, though. It still terrifies me to recall this tale, and my hands are shaking as I type this response. I apologize, but I can't bring myself to go too deep into detail, but suffice to say that I was "attacked" (I guess you could call it that) by a ghostly being, who passed a part of itself through my chest, over my heart, and caused me to experience the most bone-chilling cold I have ever felt. To this day, I feel its presence inside of me, a lancing pain in the part of my heart that it touched. Spiders might give me the willies, but this "ghost," or whatever it is, is the only thing that I have ever been truly afraid of. (heh, it took me a twenty minutes to type that paragraph, but I got through it. ::does a happy dance:: )

Last edited:

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Creepy Stuff

Spiders- Henry has a good point, but I always seem to be able to anthropomorphize the little buggers. I always imagine that they are whistling while they wrap their prey in silk to snack on later. I use spiders alot IMC. I control the scurvy things. Cheap therapy.

Ghosts- A friend of mine lived in a house that was haunted. The manifestation was in his sister's bedroom. There are always three knocks against her top dresser drawer at the exact time of death for members of their extended family.

The hiker that had to cut off his own arm gives me major willies. Same thing with the Steve King story "The Survivor Type" Slow death or self-mutilation.

Grim

AuroraGyps

First Post
Yeah, big spiders that *JUMP* out at ya. Heck, little spider freak me out, but that's another story.
....and are on the ceiling. Really, spiders on the ceiling I can't stand cause I expect them to walk over my head and drop.:eek: I guess for a game, you could have almost anything on the ceiling... maybe on a really high ceiling that's just out of all weapons' range. *shivers* I'm gonna get no sleep for days after reading this thread. ;)

Goobermunch

Explorer
Re: Creepy Stuff

grimslade said:
Spiders- Henry has a good point, but I always seem to be able to anthropomorphize the little buggers. I always imagine that they are whistling while they wrap their prey in silk to snack on later. I use spiders alot IMC. I control the scurvy things. Cheap therapy.

Ghosts- A friend of mine lived in a house that was haunted. The manifestation was in his sister's bedroom. There are always three knocks against her top dresser drawer at the exact time of death for members of their extended family.

The hiker that had to cut off his own arm gives me major willies. Same thing with the Steve King story "The Survivor Type" Slow death or self-mutilation.

Grim

The hiker's from Colorado . . . his doctors say he's got no career as a surgeon. I guess his amputation technique leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Oddly enough, the first few times he tried to cut his hand off he couldn't get the blade to cut through the skin. This tells us two things: a) he was hiking with a dull knife and, b) he amputated his own hand with a dull knife. OUCH!!!

--G

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Re: Re: Creepy Stuff

Goobermunch said:

Oddly enough, the first few times he tried to cut his hand off he couldn't get the blade to cut through the skin. This tells us two things: a) he was hiking with a dull knife and, b) he amputated his own hand with a dull knife. OUCH!!!

--G

Must ... resist.... can't...resist....

I'll Cut off your hand- WITH A SPOON!!!!!

Kahuna Burger

blackshirt5

First Post
OK, here's what scares me(at least for right now, if I can get Angcuru to go out "sightseeing" with me this summer, I'm sure the list will grow):

1) THE Ghost. Everybody that I work with knows what one I mean when I say "the ghost". I work at a Target store in Menlo Park, NJ, on the overnight shift. It was built right by by where the old Menlo Park Mental Hospital was, and parts of the store are built right over the old grounds. Well, we've got this ghost that screws up the cameras back there, causes automatic lights to go on and off when no one is in a light duty aisle, and (this always sounds cheesy as hell) loves to rattle chains. Literally, the chains that are used to draw closed the bay doors as well as the doors of the trash compactor. Go back there to check out the camera problems, find the chain swinging back and forth slowly on the compactor or the bay doors, with the doors closed(so there's 0 chance of it being the wind). It almost seems like the ghost is waiting for me or something, it's really quite creepy to me.

2) The fact that I like the new Metallica song, ST. Anger, and will almost definitely buy the album.

Last edited:

Remove ads