• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Scares You?

blackshirt5

First Post
Also, automated phone calls that don't start until you say something; I'd forgotten that the library notification system around here does that, and just sat on the line listening to dead silence for like a minute, it was really creepy.

MarauderX

Explorer
A cute kitten crossing the road in front of you at night...

...then it turns to look at you with glowing red eyes and hisses...

what do you do? run it down? turn around? stop in your tracks to see what it does? RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!

hunter2112

First Post
Rel said:
Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost. ;) (I'm guessing that most of the people who frequent this board are NOT going to get that reference.)

:eek:

I'll take a shot: Any chance in in reference to Don McLean? (ok pretty obvious I know)

Henry, beautiful description of spiders there. I used to be pretty allright with them but that definitely moved them up the in the ranking quite a bit.

For me, I'd say knowing there's no hope. Got this from The Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin. A good read but depressing.

BlackMoria

First Post
My fear - that I will never be able to forget the images of genocide and ethnic cleasing I witnessed in Bosnia as a peacekeeper (more like peacemaker) in 1993.

Not a day goes by that I don't have some visual flashback of some horrible scenes I witnessed there.

Maybe someday I will make peace with that but it hasn't happen yet.

Just wished I could have done more over there..... or not been there at all.

:(

dave_o

Explorer
I'm not afraid of much, but the things that I've been afraid of are quite extreme.

The first occured when I was around three years old. My family had one of those insanely out of the way houses, the kind that horror film directors have a total love for. My sister, around sixteen at the time, was babysitting me. I was sitting out back, on one of those little springy horses, and she had gone inside for something. I turned, because I heard something scrape on the doorframe, and saw the scariest image I've ever witnessed.

It was as if there was a hole in exsistance, the shape and size of a man. But it seemed to be bursting the doorframe, as well. It was tough to comprehend, and it seemed to radiate cold and hatred. When I closed my eyes, and opened them, it was gone.

But just the feeling of hatred - it scares me to this day.

The second occured in the same house, when I was around sixteen. Around 10:00pm, while I slept in my bedroom (adjacent to the living room, where the rest of my family was sitting), my bed leapt around two feet into the air, and came down - obviously waking me up. After some heinous freaking out, since my family heard the noise, I managed to get back to sleep.

During the night, my sister came to check on me, and said that my room was deathly cold. She could see her breath in it, and there was frost on all metal things. So she just closed the door, and ran.

When I woke up the next morning, the back of my head and pillow were caked with blood. I assumed it was my own, though I couldn't find any wounds.

Thankfully, I don't live in that house anymore. :D

mistergone

First Post
Being wiped out of existance for no reason other than that I thought about it. That scares me. Thinking that there's only oblivion after death scares me too.

Wide open spaces, don't really scare me, but cause me great discomfort. I avoid them at all costs. I'm agoraphobic.

People scare me. Not just by themselves, or just people in general. The capacity for freaky and evil things that people can do scares me. The way they can use ignorance and prejudice to do horrible things bothers me a great deal. It keeps me out of some neighborhoods. I've seen too much dull blatant stupidity used as a weapon to hurt others. Maybe it disgusts me more than scares me. Being singled out by a mob mentality is part of this too.

Zombies freak me out. I think I could take 'em on though.

When I was like 5 or 6, I just knew that Bigfoot was gonna come down from the hills and kill me and my family, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Ironically, I kinda like Bigfoot now, I wish he was my friend.

Sabaron

First Post
This thread, for one. :p

I'd have to go with Bjorn, about those mental problems for the same reason. I derive virtually all my pleasure from intellectual activites; if something damaged my brain, what would that be like? Nothing good, I'd wager.

Spiders, I like. I keep one in my lampshade above my bed. So many mosquito corpses. :D

The only other thing I truly fear, with a mind-numbing, can't-avoid-this-please-don't-let-it-happen fervor is the possibility of oblivion after death. To just not... exist... in any form. :(

diaglo

Adventurer
dave_o said:
When I woke up the next morning, the back of my head and pillow were caked with blood. I assumed it was my own, though I couldn't find any wounds.

Sounds like you had a nose bleed while face down and then slightly lifted your head as you rolled over into it.

edit: i say that cause i used to do that all the time when i was young.

Last edited:

Reika

First Post
Hm, spiders and such don't bother me, I think they're neat in a creepy sort of way.

My greatest fears are heights, even when I have to climb up on a short step ladder. And the fear that I'll do something to help a friend or loved one but hurt them instead and making them turn on me or hate me for the rest of their lives.

Remove ads